All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

disconnected
@32.217.36.x

disconnected

Anon

DSL Service Lost Several Times an Hour (New Milford/Brookfield)

Click for full size
Click for full size
We've been having intermittent service for the past few weeks. The past couple of days have been so bad that service goes out every few minutes for about a minute.

The first sign of trouble is that many internet sites cannot be reached, excepting Google. Then all connectivity fails. Then the DSL "Broadband" LED goes from green to amber. About a minute later, back to green and connectivity returns. It's getting worse to the point where every time I use the internet, I have no connection and have to wait.

I heard rumors that Frontier is buying out much of CT area DSL from AT&T and that service would be degraded. Wondering if we're seeing that beginning now?
disconnected

disconnected

Anon

Click for full size
I was reading in another post from a while back that Cell Header Errors are an ISP problem and that the ATM needs to be rebuilt. I seem to be having that issue here.. I get about ten minutes of internet service and then it spend the next ten-eleven minutes retraining.

Alchem
@32.216.76.x

Alchem to disconnected

Anon

to disconnected
This sounds like the same problem I'm having. I posted about it here:

»DSL disconnects, several or more times per day

disconnected
@32.217.40.x

disconnected

Anon

Problem is worse tonight, getting worse by the day. Can't reach customer support. Just a recording that says they are aware of a service outage affecting my area. But this has been going on for weeks!

fphall
The Guardian
Premium Member
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT

fphall

Premium Member

Now that AT&T has sold CT. to Frontier they probably don't care. From what little I have read in the dslr frontier communications forum they are even worse... we shall see. At least I will have to option of going to Comcast.
FlipSide
join:2006-10-12
New Milford, CT

FlipSide to disconnected

to disconnected
let me ask you a few questions. did you call in a trouble ticket to att? they will dispatch someone out to take a look at the line. The signal is showing good on the line snapshot you are showing, but you are getting way too many FEC and CRC errors. There are no gaps in the bandwidth of the line either which is good. Its kinda tough to say but it could be a compatibility issue if you have mac products as there is a known issue with 2wire 2701HG and macbook, and new hp / compaq laptops dropping the dsl connection out. Also It is not all 2wire 2701HG that do that just some. I know doesnt sound like its possible but it is a fact. If you wanna trouble shoot that issue you would go into the wireless under local network on the router and change it from wireless G - which is 54mbps to B - 11mbps. See if that fixed it. If it does see if att will send you a newer replacement. If that doesnt work let me know and Ill see if i can get a ticket made to get you back up and running.

disconnected
@32.217.83.x

disconnected to fphall

Anon

to fphall
said by fphall:

Now that AT&T has sold CT. to Frontier they probably don't care. From what little I have read in the dslr frontier communications forum they are even worse... we shall see. At least I will have to option of going to Comcast.

I was warned about this from someone in the industry last July. He said that Frontier has a history of moving into territory, pricing services through the roof until the service dies by attrition, and that wherever they have been, they leave a trail of unhappy customers. His final comment was that I should look for an alternative provider for telco and internet services.

Flipside, I called the repair line and selected DSL internet. Once I got the recorded message about the outage affecting my area, the recording stated that there is no need to speak with a representative for that reason and the call was dumped.

I had the problem with reboots every 60 seconds last spring, and figured out that limiting wireless to 802.11b and 2mb/s solved that. I've since replaced the modem with a brand new 1701HG, still sealed in the original packaging. That modem works the same as the old one.

The error that concerns me is the one on the status page "service error".. from my research, this indicates that the telco needs to rebuild the ATM switch.
FlipSide
New Milford, CT

FlipSide to disconnected

to disconnected
A 1701hg. Holy Cow where did you find that antique. Lol. Yeah I agree you'll probably have the same issue of not worse. Get a new modem/router. It will fix it. It has nothing to do with a rip/rebuild of the atm. If it did then you would have no internet connectivity or be set at the wrong speed. I just had a customer that had a 2701hg the other day and had this issue for 4 years. Changed out her modem and it's fine now. Like I said if you can lower you router speed to B-11mbps and it works fine then replace the router. It's only on a 2wire that I've seen this.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to disconnected

Premium Member

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

said by fphall:

I was warned about this from someone in the industry last July. He said that Frontier has a history of moving into territory, pricing services through the roof until the service dies by attrition, and that wherever they have been, they leave a trail of unhappy customers. His final comment was that I should look for an alternative provider for telco and internet services.

Flipside, I called the repair line and selected DSL internet. Once I got the recorded message about the outage affecting my area, the recording stated that there is no need to speak with a representative for that reason and the call was dumped.

I had the problem with reboots every 60 seconds last spring, and figured out that limiting wireless to 802.11b and 2mb/s solved that. I've since replaced the modem with a brand new 1701HG, still sealed in the original packaging. That modem works the same as the old one.

The error that concerns me is the one on the status page "service error".. from my research, this indicates that the telco needs to rebuild the ATM switch.

As said above, that 1701HG is ancient. You may want to try to get a Netgear 7550 »www.att.com/equipment/ac ··· u5520229

Frontier shouldn't be too bad. I saw their prices and they seem a little bit better than AT&T's in my opinion. Also, AT&T hasn't been doing much in terms of upgrades in CT for quite awhile anyway. The deal has not been completed yet, look for it to complete next month or so.

disconnected
@32.217.83.x

disconnected

Anon

When I was having my constant reboot problems last spring, the telco provided a new Netgear gateway, but the only problem was, no one could see my web server out on the internet. So I put my old 1701 back in service with the 802.11B mode only and it was okay for six more months. Then this started happening in the past few weeks. I have two 1701's.. picked up a new old stock unit last spring as a backup.
If I could figure out how to make my web server visible with the Netgear, I would be using it, but even though I set port forwarding up, the server isn't visible, so that's no good--can't use my connection with that modem/router.

Alchem
@32.216.129.x

Alchem

Anon

Today I had about 10 disconnects in an hour, in the same area - southern New Milford.
Now it seems OK, but for how long?
FlipSide
New Milford, CT

FlipSide

Can you call in or go online to get a ticket generated. Send me your YE ticket # amd we'll take care of the issue. By chance when the phone rings at the house does the Internet go out?

disconnected
@32.217.83.x

disconnected

Anon

A couple of hours after I called in the trouble report (and got the recorded message and then dropped), the gateway rebooted itself. I have not noted any connectivity issues since that reboot. I'm thinking that my call must have generated an automatic flag and that the system or some tech at the telco did the remote reboot after fixing some issue. Previously, I had power cycled my gateway with no improvement in the problem. But since the remote reset happened, I have not seen the broadband LED turn amber.

I don't know about the incoming call issue, as the broadband was going out every 2-3 minutes, and sometimes that'd coincide with an incoming call, but 98% of the time, there were no incoming calls when the bb would drop. Yeah, I was thinking line filters too, if that's what you're thinking.

Whatever the problem was, it seems to have been fixed, not through any doing on my end.
FlipSide
New Milford, CT

FlipSide

When you call in they probably did a test on the line for faults. Which opens up the line to look at gnd, shorts and cross. If you have over 100 errors in 15 mins the router reboots also. Give a call today and I'll look at it for you

disconnected
@32.217.83.x

disconnected

Anon

Service has been normal since the reboot.

When i call 611, how do i get past the robo answering system?

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

cralt

call the main number 800-288-2020 from a phone thats not on the account.