spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gbynum
join:2002-01-13
Greenville, SC

gbynum

[CATV] INEPT customer service

We were watching the Clemson FSU game, when, in early 1st quarter, our signal died. I checked the cable modem as well, nothing. Walked next door, his is out too. My wife called Charter ... she's tactful, I'm not. Below are approximate, I didn't record it.

Wife: the cable connection to our house seems to be dead, do you show any time to repair? Internet and TV are both down
CSR: do you use a cable box? which one
wife: yes, motorola
CSR: are its lights on?
wife: umm, this isn't just us, neighbors are down too, internet and TV
CSR: do you have a dvr?
wife: no
CSR: sounds like you have an issue in your home; we'll call about 9:00 am tomorrow and let you know when a service tech can be there. Until then, you can download the Charter app for your phone and watch it that way
wife: we've tried that, it says it has to be connected to our charter signal
CSR: that's not accurate; you can watch it on your phone. a tech will be there next week.
wife: WHOA, it is not just us
CSR: we'll dispatch a tech; no other reports in your area

With the unemployment levels, why cannot they find someone with SOME sense?
duffman45200
join:2010-09-20

duffman45200

said by gbynum:

We were watching the Clemson FSU game, when, in early 1st quarter, our signal died. I checked the cable modem as well, nothing. Walked next door, his is out too. My wife called Charter ... she's tactful, I'm not. Below are approximate, I didn't record it.

Wife: the cable connection to our house seems to be dead, do you show any time to repair? Internet and TV are both down
CSR: do you use a cable box? which one
wife: yes, motorola
wife: umm, this isn't just us, neighbors are down too, internet and TV
CSR: do you have a dvr?
wife: no
CSR: sounds like you have an issue in your home; we'll call about 9:00 am tomorrow and let you know when a service tech can be there. Until then, you can download the Charter app for your phone and watch it that way
wife: we've tried that, it says it has to be connected to our charter signal
CSR: that's not accurate; you can watch it on your phone. a tech will be there next week.
wife: WHOA, it is not just us
CSR: we'll dispatch a tech; no other reports in your area

With the unemployment levels, why cannot they find someone with SOME sense?

They do have a threshold where they need a certain number of people to call in from the same area before they will declarr an area outage. While their suggestion to use the app is stupid, it is generally an industry standard to have a threshold like thay. Best thing would be to get your neighbors to call as well.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to gbynum

to gbynum
said by gbynum:

Wife: the cable connection to our house seems to be dead, do you show any time to repair?

Do you realize what a dumb question that is? Guy walks into an auto repair shop. "My car just died. Do you know when it will be fixed?"
said by gbynum:

wife: umm, this isn't just us

What does that matter? If your lights are on it tells them something. If they're off they tell you another.
said by gbynum:

we'll call about 9:00 am tomorrow and let you know when a service tech can be there.

I have never, ever, had customer service tell me they will call me back with a time. I am ALWAYS told, on the spot, when the next tech will be out.
said by gbynum:

a tech will be there next week.

Now wait a minute. You just said they had to call back to schedule a time. Now you're saying he said someone would be out next week?
said by gbynum:

why cannot they find someone with SOME sense?

I'm kinda thinking almost the same question but in a different way.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

Howard, don't be so mean!

I used to have this happen with a bunch of HD Channels (it would happen Friday evening and wouldn't get fixed until Tuesday.) Our entire town was out (I had 3 friends living in 3 different sections of the town and thus knew it was an area wide problem.)

No matter what we ALL called in to report the problem but they did nothing about it.

Clearly the OP is frustrated and I can easily share in the frustration. Again just because you're in Charter's golden zone please remember there are parts of the country where charter's equipment or services do fail and there is no way to get anyone to do anything about it until someone smart enough at the charter headend stumbles upon it and fixes it. That's how most of us feel when we have an issue. I understand you've gotten treated a lot different, but just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it isn't happening.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about those who live in Charter's not so stable areas. Glad I live in an area where outages are few and far between.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

It would be awesome if Charter or these companies built in self-diagnosing or reporting software that would alert if an issue was present (this of course would only work on the TV side, as if the internet is down clearly you wouldn't be able to send the information to charter.)

I'm getting charter TV in a few weeks (I know, hell is freezing over but I don't want to be in a contract with DirecTV) so I'll have a viewpoint on that... I'm not renting their boxes though.... picked up a Tivo Roamio Plus with lifetime service on it and am going to pick up two tivo mini's... hopefully all goes well!

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
I was being nice. I could have been meaner considering the questions and his expectations and contradictions.

Don't we all call the same number when there are problems? I'm not positive of that. We call 888-GET-CHARTER.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

Sometimes when we're upset and feel like no one can help despite wasting hours on the phone talking to people who have no answers and no resolutions for us we tend to get some of the details mixed up.

As for all calling the same number, I'm sure most of us do call the came number, but we all get routed to different call centers based on volume and whatnot.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by BlakePaulson:

I'm sure most of us do call the came number

Which brings us back to my point. I have never, ever had Charter say what he claims they said.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

Let me tell you a story Howard....

Back in the day (like in 2007 or 2008) I had charter TV and didn't want to pay to rent a motorola DCT6416. I called charter and told them I found multiple motorola DCT6416 boxes on eBay and wanted to know that if I bought one would they then activate it and not charge me for the box or DVR service.

The lady I talked to didn't know so she said she'd ask her supervisor. She came back stating I could purchase my own and as soon as I received it all I'd have to do is call in with the serial number and they'd add it to the system and I would not have to pay for DVR service or a cable box as I'd own one.

Guess what happened when I spent $200 on one. Yeah they obviously would not add it to the system. I tried over and over so so so many times to get them to add the box but they either couldn't or wouldn't.

Yes, I should have done more research. At the time I was around 21 or so and figured you could do so just like modems.

So just because you haven't heard it, doesn't mean someone at charter hasn't spouted it.

This sort of mis-communication happens ALL the time, especially considering how many employees charter has and how under-trained some of them are. That shouldn't let charter off the hook, but that's how they see it.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

Let me tell you a story. 15 years ago .....

We all have stories about something bad that happened once. That doesn't mean it applies to a whole company all the time.

The type of questions he says he asked, along with the claims he made, makes me suspicious of how much of this story is at all true. That is my point.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by howardfine:

your life got flipped-turned upside down. And you'd like to take a minute to tell me how you became the prince of a town called Bel Air?

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

Weird. I just left reddit and got a similar bizarre reply I couldn't figure out what they meant. But I expect those things on reddit where 80% of everything is bizarre.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to B4Knight

to B4Knight
said by B4Knight:

I'm sorry to hear about those who live in Charter's not so stable areas. Glad I live in an area where outages are few and far between.

Don't jinx us!
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to howardfine

to howardfine
google Fresh Prince of Bel Air lyrics
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to howardfine

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

I could tell you all sorts of stories from the past year but you would pawn those off on something else too.
KDW4Him
join:2014-09-20
Alma, MI

KDW4Him to gbynum

to gbynum
I was told by the gal at the Charter office today that if a tech knocks on your door it's $45 if you don't have the wire protection plan and it's your house that is the problem.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to Zappa2000

Premium Member

to Zappa2000
LOL!!! I'll try not to!