spc
Search similar:

uniqs

landrover
join:2013-09-17
Martinsburg, WV

landrover

New Lows

Frontier should be ashamed. I'm less than 50 miles from Ashburn, VA.
& as the General Manager stated, it's not in the budget to be upgraded.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1

how is this not a crime. unbelievable.
jazneo
join:2014-08-25
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo

yea same here i live 50mile i cant get 6mbs

Majestica
join:2009-01-26
Hedgesville, WV

Majestica to landrover

to landrover
Yeah same here. A common thing I notice with Frontier DSL speedtest posts on this forum is the Grade result is F.

You know I emailed the GM awhile back and basically he said there would be no upgrades and maybe I should try out satellite.

What a joke!

"Espinosa, Paul

8/2/13

to me
xxxxx,

unfortunately engineering advises there are no scheduled upgrades to HSI service in your area. At this point, our satellite service would represent the only option we could currently offer to enhance your Internet speeds. If you'd like more information, I'd be happy to have a representative contact you. Thank you.

Paul Espinosa

Sent from my iPad"
jazneo
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo

Satelite internet has data caps

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to landrover

Premium Member

to landrover
It is disgusting that the budget does not support nor has it been planned for in this area of WV. So my question would have been what is in the budget to be accomplished. Not only for this year but for the next few years.

landrover
Martinsburg, WV

landrover

Exactly. Where did all that money go that came from the tax payers for "upgrades"?
It doesn't cost $150 million to run fiber to an RT. Instead they'll keep the 8 T1 lines, well actually 6 now since 2 have been down since june, rather than running the fiber that will last many years longer.

I just can't see how this company could possibly survive in the future with the way technology is evolving.
You can't even stream a movie or browse the web for that matter.
said by Hank:

It is disgusting that the budget does not support nor has it been planned for in this area of WV. So my question would have been what is in the budget to be accomplished. Not only for this year but for the next few years.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to landrover

to landrover
Still....

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 96103898
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 96106170

Hop IP Address Host Name Response Time
=== ========== ========= =============
1 192.168.254.254 dslrouter.netgear.com 0 ms
2 No reply from host
3 74.40.70.165 14 ms
4 74.40.70.197 ae1---0.car01.mrbg.wv.frontiernet.net 25 ms
5 74.40.1.237 ae5---0.cbr01.asbn.cor02.asbn.va.frontiernet.net 25 ms
6 74.40.2.178 ae1---0.cbr01.asbn.va.frontiernet.net 24 ms
7 4.53.116.45 ae75.edge3.Washington4.Level3.net 24 ms
8 No reply from host
9 No reply from host
10 No reply from host
11 4.69.148.146 ae-6-6.ebr2.Chicago2.Level3.net 35 ms
12 4.69.158.153 ae-207-3607.edge4.Chicago2.Level3.net 35 ms
13 4.35.103.10 LIQUIDWEB.edge4.Chicago2.Level3.net 35 ms
14 209.59.157.206 lw-dc3-core1-vlan52.rtr.liquidweb.com 42 ms
15 69.167.128.241 lw-dc3-dist15-po5.rtr.liquidweb.com 42 ms
16 64.91.255.98 www.dslreports.com 43 ms
Trace complete

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

Still....

So you live in an area that has a new fiber and you are close to the remote. We in this area get your point, but there are areas like ours that have poor service with consistent excuses for that poor service and there are areas in other states that have similar situations are ours. In our area the copper infrastructure is in poor shape in many areas, some places worse that others, and it does not appear that much if anything is going to be done to remedy that situation.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to landrover

to landrover
Seems to me it's only getting worse or has it been better but then come crashing back down? not sure.

Hopefully somethin gets straightened out for you all or maybe make a switch, thats up to you.

landrover
Martinsburg, WV

landrover to diablo18926

to diablo18926
Not sure what your point is? You went from no DSL to DSL that is fiber fed. Meanwhile, in other areas existing services are barely running, but aren't budgeted to be upgraded.

I live 2 minutes from downtown Shepherdstown and hour from Washington DC, and the best Frontier can put out is 0.28 Mbps.

I could understand if this was not a populated area, but there's not excuse for this.

4k Streaming requires 15 Mbps, just wait till the technology keeps improving and Frontier is just sitting there doing nothing.
said by diablo18926:

Still....

Majestica
join:2009-01-26
Hedgesville, WV

Majestica to diablo18926

to diablo18926
There is no other company to switch to............

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

said by Majestica:

There is no other company to switch to........

Same here, if there was I would be gone instantly.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

None of you have satellite as an option? With your poor service now, latency, caps and price concerns seem secondary. How are you folks getting video now?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

said by DeLiver3:

None of you have satellite as an option? With your poor service now, latency, caps and price concerns seem secondary. How are you folks getting video now?

I have DirecTV, but what does that have to do with the poor service delivered by Frontier? Satellite internet is cost prohibitive.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

I'm saying you then have another option for Internet. If you don't like Frontier's Internet service, why are you paying them? Walk with your wallet - you do have another option.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Provide the money and we will switch. The point is when Frontier took over from Verizon one of the commitments were that they would improve service in a specified time period. They have not lived up to that commitment.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to landrover

to landrover
said by landrover:

Not sure what your point is? You went from no DSL to DSL that is fiber fed. Meanwhile, in other areas existing services are barely running, but aren't budgeted to be upgraded.

That is correct and what i meant with "Seems to me it's only getting worse or has it been better but then come crashing back down? not sure." is frontier's service was great or atleast good but after some time, the speeds started slipping and got worse and now it looks like there hitting rock bottom hence you're speed test that shows barely a half of a Mbit and that high ping.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
Cincinnatus, NY
Actiontec F2250
(Software) pfSense

DeLiver3 to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
said by Hank:

Provide the money and we will switch. The point is when Frontier took over from Verizon one of the commitments were that they would improve service in a specified time period. They have not lived up to that commitment.

Are you asking me to pay for your Internet access? Do you have a link to those commitments? Maybe $62,500 per mile for the fiber chewed up a bit of the money for your personal fiber fed RT. Talk to Cisco and Verizon, who were both at the trough when that money was spent. And the consultants that were hired. And your own legislators. And the union workers.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

1 edit

Hank

Premium Member

You said it was an option and I responded that it is not affordable. It has been taken to the legislators and guess what the answer was. Are local Frontier GM is a member of the House of Delegates and well connected as are other employees of Frontier. The Governor hired an outside company to evaluate the job Frontier has done. The results of that evaluation was that Frontier was not coming close to doing what they received public funding to do. I can't tell you the entire content of the report because the governor pigeon hold it. Counties can no longer create cooperatives as they did in Hardy County, because the legislature said it was unfair competition to the private TELCO's.

So Frontier did receive money from the Federal government and the State to improve things. The way the state of New York and things are different than they are in West Virginia.

I read your review of Frontier and it seems to have similar opions and I curious why the change in posture.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
Cincinnatus, NY
Actiontec F2250
(Software) pfSense

DeLiver3

Premium Member

OK, not affordable, I get that. I missed where you said that.

Yes, NY and WV are entirely different animals. I agree. Did Burlington get any fiber to the schools, fire department, library, ? That was the goal. If you were skipped, then you have my sympathy. My CO has been fiber-fed since the '80s.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

There were to funds one for the BTOP program which you are referring to. The other was for other improvements, i.e. rural areas. The CO is fiber feed that is different than the connectivity from the CO to the remotes many are still T1's. Even when fiber is installed then lines from the customer to the remotes are still old lossy lines. Then in lies the problem. Some of the improvement and enhancements that Frontier claims to have made just do not work.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to DeLiver3

to DeLiver3
said by DeLiver3:

fiber to the schools

The school I went to and graduated from seriously needs a fiber line fed to it. When I was still a student out there, we weren't even allowed to watch a 1 minute long video with the lowest quality. The connection was so dreadful one day when I was working on my graduation project, others were assigned by their instructor to play what looked like to me a video game.. The speed came down to a silent halt on my pc, the one next to me and many others while the other students were blazing fast through there video game session.

I really hope that middle/high school in my county that i graduated from will one day get better internet. Those kids should get the experience and feel of having a fiber connection and it's speeds.
jazneo
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo to Hank

to Hank
yea it suck live in area that frontier take over

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

cralt to Hank

to Hank
said by Hank:

Counties can no longer create cooperatives as they did in Hardy County, because the legislature said it was unfair competition to the private TELCO's.

Well that sounds like a problem with your legislature not Frontier.

Look at it from a business standpoint. Frontier has no threat of competition there and the customers are forced to pay no matter how crappy the service is. They are going to get paid no matter what. WHY spend money to upgrade?

That money would be better spent in area's of bigger population density and defending areas where there is actually competition.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

You're correct and many of the citizens of WV fully understand that. But it is just not a problem with our state government but also with Frontier. Our former Governor, now Senator Manchin was the one the put the finishing touches on the Frontier takeover deal. Now he tout's about how he is trying to change things with Frontier. In essence he created a monopoly in the majority of the state. With that said many of us have been trying for years to make changes. But when members of the legislature are well placed Frontier employees and others that don't want to loose their place on this or that committee because the bucked the system it is hard to accomplish change. Some of the counties have awakened and voted them out of office. But our area has not. The good ole boy's system lives in WV. A prime example is the chemical spill of last year. I won't burden this thread with details if your interested you can research the newspaper articles. Just because we live in WV does not mean we are not aware of what goes on around us. Plus we realize that Frontier knows we have to pay no matter how crappy their service is. By the way it was Verizon that pitched the bill to the legislature to prevent new cooperatives from being formed.

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

1 recommendation

cralt

Again I fail to understand how you can fault frontier/VZN for doing whats natural. The only job of a corporation is to maximize profits for their shareholders. Thats it. They are not there to make the world a better place. Wasting time focusing on them is distracting from the real problem: Your state government. I would focus like a laser beam on the members who are giving away the farm and make sure everyone knows their names. Come election time people need to know WHO is to blame for getting left behind in the information age. Bashing Fronteir/VZN/ATT/etc is just a waste of energy and gives your law makers cover.

Here in my state we are just about a 1 telco state. When SBC took over everything they let the network stagnate like frontier is doing to you guys. Our state government screws up most things but at least they took on this problem correctly. Starting in 2000 they built out a massive fiber network. Most libraries, schools, and community collages got 1gig hookups.The E911 and related systems got put on too. Now they are pushing to get all the FDs,PDs, and Town halls online.

SBC(known as AT&T NOW) dragged their feet and lost out on all that money.

Well now we are getting Frontier picking up whats left of the telco network. It will be interesting to see what they do here. 90% of the homes have access to 100meg cable from the cable cos. There is a few pockets of VZN Fios. Everywhere has 4g/LTE. And thanks to the above mentioned state network there is ZERO government business for Frontier to get in on.

Maybe there is room in the "Business Class" market? Was that market worth the $2 billion frontier paid for this state?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

4 edits

Hank

Premium Member

said by cralt:

Well now we are getting Frontier picking up whats left of the telco network

That line has been used over and over again by Frontier. Cable companies and Telco's have traditionally used that standard excuse. It gives them time to intergrate the newly acquired network into their network. Which is an acceptable excuse for the first few years. But after several years it becomes worn out. Again we understand what their obligations to the share holders are. But they continue to have sufficient funding to continue to expand, such as they did in CT. They also have an obligation to their customers to supply the service they contract for. Call that bashing if you want.

I think you missed the part where I stated it is recognized that the state is part of the problem. Some work diligently to keep pressure on the state.

The situation in CT is significantly different than it is in WV. Many here do not have the option for 4G/LTE or cable. Frontier is the only show in town. At any rate I hope it works out much better for the folks there.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
Cincinnatus, NY
Actiontec F2250
(Software) pfSense

DeLiver3 to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
said by Hank:

I read your review of Frontier and it seems to have similar opions and I curious why the change in posture.

Sorry Hank, I missed this last night. You made me look, and I don't see a change in my posture in this thread from that review. I enjoy good service, and sympathize with those that don't.

And I agree, WV hiding the entire story to save face is bad form. What a wast of money and resources on all fronts.

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Thanks, we'll keep plugging away.