spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mikesn5va
join:2009-09-17
Richmond, VA

mikesn5va

[Equip] Best Non-wifi Modem / Router? - Retail

Looking to switch from FiOS in order to add sports channels at reasonable cost. Have the Samsung STB that uses cable card but need to buy a modem / router to avoid monthly lease. Using Airport Extreme (latest version) for wifi. Any suggestions on what to buy?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

3 edits

2 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

[Equip] Re: Best Non-wifi Modem / Router? - Retail

said by mikesn5va:

Using Airport Extreme (latest version) for wifi. Any suggestions on what to buy?

Sorry, but looking at Comcast's Approved DOCSIS Devices list »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ , I don't see any retail, non-wireless/WiFi modem-routers listed.

EDIT: One thing you could possibly do is to buy an inexpensive Modem/Wireless-Router on that list, whose Wi-Fi/Radio section can be disabled/turned-off.

For example, the user manual for the Zoom 5352 8x4 Cable Modem/Router With Wireless-N (»www.zoomtel.com/products ··· 352.html) shows that can be done, where on pages 83 and 84 in the manual »www.zoomtel.com/document ··· -Eng.pdf it shows that the Wireless/Wi-Fi can be either enabled or disabled.

It's currently selling for $116.99 on Amazon: »www.amazon.com/DOCSIS-Ca ··· 0C1TSFH8
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66 to mikesn5va

to mikesn5va
Why do you need a combo modem/router if you already have the Airport? All you need is a plain modem.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

1 recommendation

iNick

Premium Member

said by saratoga66:

Why do you need a combo modem/router if you already have the Airport? All you need is a plain modem.

he's probably need's a EMTA Modem or he think's he need a Wireless Gateway because with Verizon FiOS They don't carry modems without WiFi in it.
mikesn5va
Richmond, VA

mikesn5va to saratoga66

to saratoga66
I prefer to hardwire my iMac to the modem/router and use the Airport Extreme for everything else in the house.
mikesn5va

mikesn5va to telcodad

to telcodad
I assumed I could save a few $$ if there was a non-wifi model available.
mikesn5va

mikesn5va to iNick

to iNick
I do need EMTA as we require telephone as well.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad to mikesn5va

MVM

to mikesn5va
said by mikesn5va:

I assumed I could save a few $$ if there was a non-wifi model available.

Yeah, but the Zoom 5352 modem/wireless router, like the similar 5341J 8x4 modem, is a good deal also.
telcodad

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad to mikesn5va

MVM

to mikesn5va
said by mikesn5va:

I do need EMTA as we require telephone as well.

Then you may need to find a wireless telephony gateway that can have its radio/Wi-Fi disabled.

You may just be better off replacing the Airport Extreme with one of these.
said by mikesn5va:

I prefer to hardwire my iMac to the modem/router and use the Airport Extreme for everything else in the house.

You do know that most wireless routers also have a few RJ-45 jacks on them that you could plug into to hard wire some equipment to?
mikesn5va
Richmond, VA

mikesn5va

I am now reading online that some Comcast franchises do not allow owner EMTA devices due to some FCC rule on 911 calling.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by mikesn5va:

I am now reading online that some Comcast franchises do not allow owner EMTA devices due to some FCC rule on 911 calling.

Yes, while Comcast is trying to establish a uniform national process for this »Re: [Speed] Upgrade Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem ASAP , it appears there are still a few markets that don't allow subscribers to own eMTAs as you said. That's why a major contributor here, EG See Profile , always says:
said by EG:

The first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC.

The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to mikesn5va

Premium Member

to mikesn5va
said by mikesn5va:

Most allow them to be used. »www.amazon.com/Arris-TM8 ··· s=TM822G I would go with this to future proof your self.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by iNick:

said by mikesn5va:

Most allow them to be used. »www.amazon.com/Arris-TM8 ··· s=TM822G I would go with this to future proof your self.

Ya' never know. Re-visit the post by telcodad to confirm..