All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

1 edit

Anzio

Does Shaw charge for overage or otherwise penalize you?

Hi there,

I'm moving into a new place while in Shaw territory for a little bit. They provide me with a Shaw connection (I believe Business Internet 15). The cap on that plan is a little low for me, and I certainly don't want the management paying for my usage or getting yelled at by Shaw.

Shaw mentioned that I can grab a modem and hook it up myself, which I'll definitely do if they're enforcing caps.

I've seen mixed reports. Some saying they don't say a word unless you go TB's over, others say they've only been over slightly and they get a call. I'm guessing it's still node dependant.

Curious if anyone has any information on usage caps? Thanks!
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan

It really depends. First off, test your speeds during peak periods (evenings). If they're low, then you have a congested node. If it's full speed, then it's lightly loaded. This is important as Shaw tends to monitor congested nodes more than lightly loaded ones - because congested ones people call Shaw to complain about the sluggishness.

First off - Shaw does not charge for excessive usage yet. There are plans, but those plans have been around for years now and haven't come to fruition.

With that, Shaw has called and emailed when people gone over, and do it too much and they'll suspend your service for up to 7 days.

It also depends what you're planning on doing - if you plan on doing lots of torrents and full speed uploads, you're likely to be among the first called. If all you're doing is downloads and Netflix, Shaw is a lot less likely to call on you.

So in general, if your node is congested, Shaw will be more likely to enforce caps. If you're uploading a significant amount, again, Shaw is likely to enforce it.

If your node is mostly fast and you just download or stream videos, you probably can get away with a lot as Shaw has plenty of bandwidth available.

Oh, and the modem has to be from Shaw originally - they won't provision a modem that wasn't purchased from Shaw or a Shaw reseller. So a used modem from someone who had Shaw is fine. Your modem from Rogers or purchased in the US, not so much. You may be able to pick up a modem from a Shaw retail outlet for self-install.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

Thank you for the very informative post. Do you think a 15Mbps plan will show node congestion? I only ask because if the channels are congested, I might still see close to max. Or will it be very obvious?

Certainly won't be doing any torrents, and very little (if any) major uploads. I will be streaming from a Slingbox at home, which typically runs at about 8Mbps from my testing, so downloads will be fairly high.

If the owners hear anything from Shaw, I'll go and see if I can grab a modem from Shaw and self-install.

Again, thanks for all the info! You're making it easy to enter Shaw territory without being completely lost.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Anzio

MVM

to Anzio
Speaking from my direct experience, I've been shutdown / called twice. Once was way back in the late 90s (15GB
util, Shaw did not specify caps back then), the 2nd about 2years ago (1TB usage on a 400GB/mo cap).

My personal view after these two experiences is read and be aware of the TOS / limits of the package. Second is
put some system in place -- BW monitor software per computer, router with alt firmware, etc. -- to measure your usage.

Third is if after all that, and you're massively over your limits and get shut down by Shaw, you should not be surprised....

My 00000010bits

Regards

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Anzio

Premium Member

to Anzio
To add, I've never heard of a business account getting bothered from usage either.

Also see if you can get on Biz 25, $3 more per month for the first year, twice the transfer, more than double the upload speed.
Shaw250
join:2014-07-30

Shaw250

I was called once about 5 years ago for overages on a business account, never since and always going over.

Now however Business accounts are basically unlimited. I called in to ask about our 2nd WiFi (OP a 2nd "WiFi" modem is only $10 extra)modem usage and to get it added to the account. The rep. told me that it is technically unlimited and they don't "bother" business'.

Even the cap of 125gb per month on the 2nd modem always hits 4-500gb. Not sure it matters but we also had a 12 ap Shaw Go WiFi installed and IIRC agreed to a 3 or 5 year contract to not touch/remove it.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to Anzio

to Anzio
You could always cover your ass and get TekSavvy West Cable Internet, if it's offered in that Shaw footprint. You'll have to pay an install fee, but at least you'll cover your ass and not be hit with overages.
Shaw250
join:2014-07-30

Shaw250

The cost of install/modem for Tek on business side isn't worth it IMO.

We have had the odd issues (modem connecting to phone system, construction/back hoe etc.) but it is always resolved same day. IMO for a bus. connection that is needed.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
That is what I did. No way I want to risk shaw saying well guess we will bill for overages this month and it's a month I bust out 2TB of data. One big warning you have to order your net well ahead of when you want it hooked up if you go with tek.

I ordered it on the 5th and its the 20th before tek could get the hook up done. Their site let me pick the 10th as an install but they emailed me and I called and they told me the 20th was the first date it could be done.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to Anzio

Premium Member

to Anzio
That's a bit ridiculous.
Shaw does not charge for overages. And if they decided to do so, would notify everyone in advance.

The paranoia here is a bit mind boggling.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

well being as every plan has a cap they have every single right to just say well we'll be enforcing the caps now so pay up.

Zac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

Zac

Premium Member

said by TOPDAWG:

well being as every plan has a cap they have every single right to just say well we'll be enforcing the caps now so pay up.

That's not happening. The account would have to be a regular abuser, and when bandwidth is highly abused, that internet account is suspended while the account holder is contacted regarding the high usage. There are no additional usage charges applied, even as one-offs. Simply suspensions.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

well for as much as I use I'd get suspensions every month.
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

1 recommendation

tlhIngan

Like I said, it depends what you're doing. If you're just downloading by watching Netflix and other streaming TV services, Shaw is less likely to contact you even if you do massive overruns than someone who does a good chunk of their quota uploading.

Shaw doesn't care too much if your overruns are by downloads. If however you're doing a good chunk of uploads, yes, it'll attract the attention of Shaw and put you on the fast path to suspension.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
The most Shaw could do is say as of such and such a date we will enforce the caps and here's how we'll be doing it. They impose a charge retroactively like you seem to suggest.
ErikRP

ErikRP to tlhIngan

to tlhIngan
Add to that if your node is saturated and you are a heavy downloader you will get noticed and probably get called to cut back. It's a lot easy to help ease a congested node by making a few phone calls first than by splitting a node.

Zac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

Zac to tlhIngan

Premium Member

to tlhIngan
said by tlhIngan:

Shaw doesn't care too much if your overruns are by downloads.

This is only partially true. Someone who is on Internet 25 with 250GB/mo limit, and regularily uses 400GB+ on downloads alone, while keeping uploads less than 25GB each month, will still catch the attention of the bandwidth team, who will suggest a higher plan with additional bandwidth.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

well I'll be doing more then 250GB for sure.
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx to Anzio

to Anzio
On a 100 Mbit plan and the bandwidth team didnt call me even once. In fact, my shaw bill is on auto pay and the calls I get from shaw are to add TV to my line (I cut the cord).

I cant add a faster plan (they discontinued 250), and I am n a free node so they probably dont care too much.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

how much do you use a month.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Anzio

to Anzio
I used to get harassed by Shaw in the late 90's/early 00's which is what pushed me to go to Telus for quite the while. I've been back with Shaw for 3 years on bb50 and do 600gb to 800gb a month on the 400gb (well 425gb if you count the extra 25gb from the shaw friends thing). They've never harassed me once.

I don't suspect my node is crowded as I get fulled speed 24/7 (slow peak periods is a good indicator your node is crowded). I've heard they focus more on crowded nodes where traffic congestion is an issue.

Overall they seem much more relaxed about it than they were 10 to 15 years ago.
tlhIngan
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan

Yeah what really happens is that Shaw concentrates on complaints. If you don't complain your internet is slow, Shaw would assume it's just fine. If your node gets congested, then people call that they're getting poor performance and Shaw starts to look at reasons why, going after the big uploaders first, then the big users.

Lightly loaded nodes don't generally get the attention of Shaw because no one's complaining. Unless you want to be an a** I suppose.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

That and once the node is put in and setup, it is minimal to keep it running, someone might as well be using it

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
I use more then 250GBs in a single day on telus 50 and i have never heard a peep out of telus. Shaw would harasses me every other month tell i left, now they harass me every month to come back...

crazyea
join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC

crazyea to Anzio

to Anzio
I've been on shaw for 3 years. Average my cap of 500. Went over in Oct and November because I got a new Xbox one and all the games need huge updates.

I have a phone call on my vm from the usage team bitching.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to MerinX

Premium Member

to MerinX
ok cool thanks for info. I may switch to dsl when I move as cable speeds for me right now suck and drop to like forking 5 on peak when it should be 25. Not sure if something is wrong with my line as tek is looking into it or just shaw sucks in this area.

Plan to stay in this area when I buy a house in like 3 months so if shaw sucks I got to move to dsl. If telus has an issue with the amount I may use long as they don't bill me for it and just call me I'll just change back to a 3rd party unlimited plan.

Think I may have to go that way. May as well hang on to me cable with tek for 3 more months.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

1 edit

zod5000 to crazyea

to crazyea
said by crazyea:

I've been on shaw for 3 years. Average my cap of 500. Went over in Oct and November because I got a new Xbox one and all the games need huge updates.

I have a phone call on my vm from the usage team bitching.

From how I understand Shaw's current model is they let a lot of usage slide unless you live in an area with a congested node. IE it's a good bet if you experience slowdowns during peak times (which is a pretty a common symptom of being on an overcrowded node) you'll end up on Shaw's radar when going over the cap.

Luckily I never see slowdowns and shaw lets me 600gb to 800gb a month usage slide. I have no wish to pay an extra $20 for more speed (as the bump from bb50 to bb100 only gets you an extra 100gb). Obviously if they harassed me it would most likely expedite my plan to cancel cable and go with a reseller like Teksavvy.