spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fcp3
@69.116.239.x

fcp3

Anon

[OOL] Replace Smart Router

I just switched from ATT to OOL. The "smart router" gives me the creeps as I am used to customizing my set up, and cascade a second network behind the first for security . I do not want to ceede control to CV either. Can I replace this thing with another router I buy? As my linksys WRT54GS still seems to work great would that work? Any suggestions for a new n level router?

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

If the Optimum Smart Router does not meet your needs, return it to Cablevision and use any router that suits you.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to fcp3

MVM,

to fcp3
Are you getting Ultra 50, 75, or 101? The WRT54GS will not be able to hit full speed on any of those.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to fcp3

Premium Member

to fcp3
The WRT54GS is fairly old at this point. If you don't like the OOL smart router, I would look at the ASUS AC routers or the newest Apple AirPort Extreme.

fcp3
@96.39.12.x

fcp3 to Thinkdiff

Anon

to Thinkdiff
I have Ultra 50... I assume this implies I should "usually" get 50 MBS download. Do you know how limiting the WRT54GS will be? i am not sure it matters as all we use are email some web surfing and Netflix. The latter already seems to load quicker than with U verse where we were getting max 6 or 8 MBS and being throttled all the time.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to fcp3

Premium Member

to fcp3
I was reading an older thread here about the "smart router." Has there been any definitive determination whether the smart router breaches a subscriber's security by utilizing the smart router as a an optimum public wifi hotspot?

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

It doesn't breach a subscribers security. They offer the optimumwifi hotspot on the smart router but they get a separate public IP from yours, and it doesn't affect your speeds as they get a separate bandwidth allocation. All it uses of yours is your power, and you get a free wifi router to use. If it dies you can swap it out for a new one just like modems or cable boxes.
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY
ARRIS TM1602
Linksys WRT1900ACS

Parth to fcp3

to fcp3
said by fcp3 :

I have Ultra 50... I assume this implies I should "usually" get 50 MBS download. Do you know how limiting the WRT54GS will be? i am not sure it matters as all we use are email some web surfing and Netflix. The latter already seems to load quicker than with U verse where we were getting max 6 or 8 MBS and being throttled all the time.

The highest WAN to LAN speed I was able to achieve with a WRT54GS was around 28-30Mbps wired, and yes you will notice the difference.

fcp3
@69.116.239.x

fcp3

Anon

i just ran a simultaneous speed test wired and wireless thru the Optimum router and with the Linksys as a cascaded router I got 75 download wired and 46 wireless with the optimum and 22 with the Linksys Good enough for my purposes