spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Raymej
join:2014-10-20
Mankato, MN

Raymej

Problem with Charter Backbone

I have been having issues for over a month now with Charter internet when playing the video game, League of Legends. I also frequently have issues with my Charter connection, where I get ridiculously slow (throttled?) speeds but that is not what I am looking to fix at the moment. Whenever I get in the game, I attempt to reconnect forever and no amounts of actual reconnecting will fix it. I can hop onto the hotspot on my phone and it works fine instantly. I did everything that I could on my end to troubleshoot it and finally contacted the games tech support, who was super helpful and after trace-routing found that the problem existed with two backbone providers, Cogent and Spectrum.net.

My internet works for the most part other than with the game and friends who live in the same area with Charter are not experiencing the problem. Charter support has been the absolute worst and I've heard everything from "I have literally no idea what you are talking about and I don't even know who to transfer you to," to, "There's nothing I can do from my end unless you are getting no connection at all" (this one from a supervisor nonetheless). I've been trying to get it fixed for weeks now and I am sick of the runaround from Charter's "support" team, so I am on here hoping someone can help.

I am not familiar with the hierarchy of ISPs and backbone providers so my actual question is can they re-route me or is it possible for ISPs to call their backbone providers and inquire about possible issues?

Thanks, I know this may sound silly but the game is a great stress reliever and I really just want it to work.
Phatty
join:2000-05-10
Saint Louis, MO

Phatty

They are not going to be able to re-route you, as routes are configured on a much larger scale.

The problem I see is your friends in the same area are on Charter and not experiencing the same issue. If it was truely a route/backbone issue, it should be affecting all users trying to reach this game from your areas. As chances are slim that your route would be any different from your friends.

If there were a routing issue with Charter it would be up to Charter to escalate the issue with their providers. The problem is with your friends not experiencing this problem they are not likely to do this for a single user with an issue accessing a single site or service.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to Raymej

Premium Member

to Raymej
I'm sure someone will have more specifics, but from what I've read the few times similar issues have been reported, you aren't likely to have any luck.

Location and destination dictate your path. Both of the backbone providers you mention are NOT Charter. They simply hand the traffic off to the backbone provider. You will need to identify the problem, find someone at Charter who understands what you are saying and can also identify the problem, and they in turn would need to reach someone from the backbone provider and show them the problem.

There was a topic here not long ago where the OP was actually able to show Charter the problem, but Charter was unable to get the backbone provider (Level3 if I recall correctly) to take any action.

Hopefully someone can help you.
Raymej
join:2014-10-20
Mankato, MN

Raymej

That's what I was afraid of. Any specific reason why I would have no problems for over a year and now all of a sudden be unable to connect at all?

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to Raymej

to Raymej
It's possible your slow slow speeds and your issue with League of Legends may be related.

I would suggest by posting some of basic information like the make/model of modem you're using, its signal stats, and some traceroutes (optimally, to the game server), someone may be able to shed some light on this.

Modems
@96.35.0.x

Modems

Anon

Did this start when spectrum came through? It happened to me. All of my routes got reroute do to spectrum. Much higher pings and laggy than hell.