spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kwss1976
join:2014-10-17
usa

kwss1976

[Modem] Netgear 7550 issues

Hello I am having issues with my Netgear 7550 modem has anyone experienced this problem.
I have my desktop connected by Ethernet cable and 3 cell phones on the wi-fi I connect my phone to wi-fi and then another phone to wifi and it brings down my connection speed even on my desktop thats hardwired how can this be. My desktop is not on Wi-Fi so how is the speed dropping on it? Its like the Modem cannot handle more then 2 devices on Wi-Fi before the speed drops.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman

Premium Member

A WiFi connection may take more of the CPU and RAM capability than an Ethernet connection does. Remember, with Ethernet you have content placed inside an addressed TCP/IP envelope. WiFi takes the Ethernet envelope and puts it into a WiFi envelope. The extra packaging and addressing slows transfers.
kwss1976
usa

kwss1976

Ok I have talked with the DSL escalation team, which has talked to the Provisioning team and SOS team both say I can get a faster speed and the tech has already verified my line is good for 12meg at my house, so why does ATT keep sending me to the sales department which they keep telling me the fastest I can get is 1.5. Apparenly the info that Customer service has is wrong and they are giving me every escuse under the Sun not to upgrade me which I have called them out on multiple times, like "No Ports" availble etc,etc,etc. The tech said it has nothing to do with ports its all done backend in the provisioning software, he has nothing to do with it. Why is ATT so hellbent on not upgrading my line? I am trying to get a faster speed to see if the trouble I am having hooking up wi-fi will go away I can only put 2 devices on the wireless and the speedtest stay at 1.3 or better, then I hook up the 3rd device and it falls to .33 or slower..
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Well, there is always the expensive way to test the theory you have. Purchase a separate modem and a separate WiFi router. Connect them to the service and see what happens. The odds are the new combination would not have the same problems as the old 7550 gateway, so any problems would be AT&T caused.
kwss1976
usa

kwss1976

HaHaHa..I hooked up a Westell 327w and running great so the blame is on the Netgear 7550......
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Good to read that and sad to read that. Good to read you have some service that is close to what you pay for. Sad to read about another Netgear gateway or router failure. I am almost ready to think that D-Link is a better choice for WiFi routers.

lostinms
Moo
join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

lostinms to kwss1976

to kwss1976
The wifi on the 7550 sucks I turned it off and put the modem in bridge mode. Already had a router when they gave me this modem.