join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

SmartRG 505n firmware

Here's link to latest 2.5.0.4 firmware including the Release notes. There is a quite long list of bug-fixes that I'm sure many will benefit from.
FYI I'm running it on SRG for about a month without any issues.

The usual disclaimer: Use at your own risk! This is not official Teksavvy release.

Link: »drive.google.com/folderv ··· web#list

Credit for obtaining the firmware directly from the vendor goes to Teddy Boom See Profile

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Question is, does this unofficial firmware have Stinger support?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

The firmware is official from the vendor. Un-official from Teksavvy.

I'm using it and I was told I'm on Stinger. If you know how to find out let me know and I'll try.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

said by Brano:

The firmware is official from the vendor. Un-official from Teksavvy.

I'm using it and I was told I'm on Stinger. If you know how to find out let me know and I'll try.

I will vouch for Brano and the fact he's using a Stinger.

Last State Change: 09/24 15:05:52 (Uptime: 2315640)
Line Profile: V16192-5056_11328-2048_00011
DLM State: DISABLED | Equip. Type: OSLAM
Sync Rate: d16192.0/u10416.0 kbps
RCO: d43.0/u77.0%
Noise Margin: d28.0/u7.0 dB
Power: d12.0/u10.0 dB
Attenuation: d46.0/u40.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 3.33~4.78km)
Block Count: d57572192.0/u39226612.0

Regards,
Martin

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Cool, thanks for confirming!

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

1 recommendation

AMailer to Brano

to Brano
Neat. Thanks for the link!

Will it be updated with future releases?

Edit: I successfully updated to 2.5.0.4 with no issues.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Brano

Premium Member

to Brano
Is the firmware signed by the manufacturer?
After all, an 'anonymous' Google drive is the ideal way to distribute 'national security ' (whatever that is) hacked firmware.

Where's the reference MD5/ SHA checksum for comparison?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

2 edits

Brano

MVM

No checksum received from the vendor. The Google drive is mine.

It's take it or leave it courtesy post ... you can always wait for Teksavvy to release it eventually.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

2 edits

Teddy Boom to Brano

Premium Member

to Brano
I'd rather not have this posted publicly like this. For people technical enough, I've been sharing a link on my website, but I don't think it is suitable for general release.

(edit: Err, that was maybe too strongly worded.. see the other discussion in thread to understand)
Teddy Boom

1 edit

Teddy Boom to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Question is, does this unofficial firmware have Stinger support?

Something on the SmartRG firmware page that I hadn't noticed--or at least didn't take proper note of--when I was posting on this topic in the summer:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: 2.5.0.4 GA Firmware has now been officially released. Please see associated Release Notes for further details (NOTE: the modem-gateway firmware on this page is NOT for customers on the Bell Canada network for Bell Canada network customers please refer to your firmware page for the latest firmware to use in modems connected to that network please contact your supplier or otherwise contact Support or your Sales Team representative if you have any questions regarding what the latest firmware is approved for use in your modems).
(emphasis adjusted by me, but words are directly quoted from SmartRG)

So, they are saying no. However, I think people are using it without trouble in practice. So.... Who knows

For the record, the only "Bell" firmware I have access to at SmartRG is the original one that shipped on the very first modems from last fall. I haven't looked into why I didn't get access to the more recent "TekSavvy" or "Start" firmwares.

The mystery over firmware revisioning on this thing continues. For no good reason at all.
Teddy Boom

2 edits

Teddy Boom to Brano

Premium Member

to Brano
said by Brano:

you can always wait for Teksavvy to release it eventually.

Ya... This is part of the mystery TekSavvy says they updated the firmware available on the support site in September, but the actual firmware file appears to be the version released in early 2014.

The firmware story for SR505n needs to be clearer, but I've been reticent about pursuing direct answers from SmartRG. They might become annoyed if I get particular about things.
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to Brano

Premium Member

to Brano
And there is other news. Gentek is selling an SR630n modem, which appears to be the SR505n with built in SIP adapter:
»www.gentek.com/product_d ··· O=SR630n
No word on whether it is actually approved for use on Bell, but I can't see why Gentek would be stocking it if it isn't.

To think I was hoping for cable modem news, and instead I find that

Here's the datasheet:
»www.gentek.com/specs/SR630n.pdf

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

do you have a Gentek account Teddy?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Yep, that's where I'm buying SR505n from.
reiyu
join:2014-01-08
North York, ON

1 edit

reiyu to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

For the record, the only "Bell" firmware I have access to at SmartRG is the original one that shipped on the very first modems from last fall. I haven't looked into why I didn't get access to the more recent "TekSavvy" or "Start" firmwares.

Teksavvy released a changelog for their recent firmware recently. Does the firmware that is posted here have all the fixes plus more? Also I have to mention that the IPv6 Tunneling + UPnP bug still isn't completely fixed in both Teksavvy and Start's firmware. I'd upgrade to this new firmware, but now I'm thinking that the bug isn't in the firmware, but Teksavvy's configuration files.
said by Teddy Boom:

And there is other news. Gentek is selling an SR630n modem, which appears to be the SR505n with built in SIP adapter:

would you sell these in the future? any price range?
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95 to Brano

to Brano
updated to the OP firmware... ( and to took a lontime before it sync'd (maybe less than 10 minutes)

and get »speedof.me/show.php?img= ··· 1805.png

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to reiyu

Premium Member

to reiyu
said by reiyu:

would you sell these in the future? any price range?

No objection to it, but they will be expensive.. $150 plus tax kind of thing Of course it would also be nice to confirm that they are approved
(okay, not approved exactly, this is DSL, but you know what I mean)
reiyu
North York, ON

reiyu

mind hitting me with a PM if ever you're planning to sell it?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

Just FYI, if you're looking for modem/router/sip combo check out Draytek »www.draytek.com/index.ph ··· &lang=en

I've installed and still managing couple Vigo 2130Vn (obsolete model now), using VPN, Wifi and SIP and it's rock solid. The firmware on this model is actually OpenWRT based, you get root access as well.
reiyu
North York, ON

reiyu

whoa, that's pretty awesome. would that work on stingers though?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 edit

Brano

MVM

No idea really, I've just logged in to the machines I'm managing and those don't have DSL modems in them. 2130 model is router/vpn/wifi/sip combo. Sorry, it was a while I did setup these.

Draytek has xDLS combos though »www.draytek.com/index.ph ··· &lang=en

EDIT: One more clarification, not all models have OpenWRT based firmware I was told.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

It will 99.9% not work on a Stinger, unless the chipset is Ikanos.
reiyu
North York, ON

reiyu

do you have like a list of ikanos chipset modems?
jfn96706
join:2012-09-16

jfn96706 to Brano

to Brano
Thanks for posting this, much appreciated.
jdrom
join:2008-03-02
East York, ON

jdrom to Brano

to Brano
Thanks for this.

Not sure if it's a total coincidence or not, but with 2.5.0.4 my speeds have been far more stable at 50/10 and now the only issue I see is VMedia being congested during the peak evening hours. At least my speeds no longer drop to the 15Mbps (or less) range which always required me to reboot the modem to get them back to normal.

I'm connected to a Stinger roughly 700-800m away by the Bell Tech's estimate when he installed my line.

Hopefully things remain stable!
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

1 edit

alpovs to Brano

to Brano
Any updates on using the 2.5.0.4 firmware? Is it still stable for you?

I really doubt that SmartRG/Broadcom will remove the compatibility with Stingers from future firmware updates. It would be like shooting themselves in the leg.

P.S. I just found out that the xDSL line driver is the same in the 2.5.0.3 and 2.5.0.4 versions of firmware. I believe they should be equally stable.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Zero issues since my first post. Mind I'm running it in bridge mode.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to alpovs

Premium Member

to alpovs
said by alpovs:

Any updates on using the 2.5.0.4 firmware? Is it still stable for you?

They're up to 2.5.0.6 as of a few days ago. Usual rules apply, you are welcome to pm me for it, but I'm not going to post publicly at this point.
said by Brano:

Zero issues since my first post. Mind I'm running it in bridge mode.

Although I guess it is rapidly approaching time to post, with that kind of stability record.
reiyu
North York, ON

reiyu

said by Teddy Boom:

They're up to 2.5.0.6 as of a few days ago. Usual rules apply, you are welcome to pm me for it, but I'm not going to post publicly at this point.

do you have a changelog?
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to Brano

to Brano
No change in the DSL line driver since 2.5.0.3 (up to 2.5.0.6). Mostly the router part changes and changes for other devices (looks like they use unified version numbering for all devices). I think for people running in bridge mode no changes since 2.5.0.3.