Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

[KS] Economy / "paks"

Click for full size
Click for full size
Still considering moving TV services to Cox (from Dish...), and am curious about the "Economy" deal. I'd really miss "H2" which Dish just added to our lineup, but in order to get that channel on Cox, it looks like I need "Advanced" tier plus the "Sports and Information Pak"

Every other channel in that "pak" makes complete sense, except for H2.

Anyway, my primary question is:
Why can that no "paks" as the "bonus pak," or "variety" pak be added to the economy tier?

Can the "bonus" pak be added via phone or in-store? Online, it does not appear that this one can be added to Economy, even though it's shown in the channel lineup as something that one "should" be able to add.

The one time I visited the local store regarding this, the rep simply said "no, sorry" but gave no reason. I get it on the "sports" one needing to already have a little ESPN going, but do not understand why the other "paks" can't be added.

Anyone have any info on this?

No matter the case, I'd be fine with econo, sans all that, just think it'd be nice to add a "pak" or 2 if desired, without having to have the cost jump. I also am not that keen on a full "advanced" promo which requires a 2yr. agreement. I've never had a (2yr) "contract" with cable, and don't really have much of a desire to do so.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

those require a box.
those paks are encrypted
The Saguaro
join:2002-05-18
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

The Saguaro to amungus

to amungus
The ability to add Paks is one of the Advanced TV "features". There is an error on the Cox web site showing that you can add Paks to Economy. The one exception is you can add Movie Pak to Economy. The Cox web folks are working to correct this error. Any orders (not Movie Pak) for Paks in Economy are cancelled within 24 hours. The Bonus Pak is automatically added to any Pak order.
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

Interesting about the "bonus" pak. I guess it being a mistake makes sense.

dvd536 - I'd be using an HDHomerun Prime with a cable card. Not considering a box if/when we go to cable from Dish.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

those require a box.
those paks are encrypted

or cablecard

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

he'll STILL have to have advanced tv regardless of whos receiver used to add those paks.
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver to amungus

to amungus
Economy requires some type of box/card anyway (though for most economy, they probably use DTAs rather than a full STB) as they need to block the extended analog to not get espn, spike, mtv and such... it may have something to do by market in being allowed to include MTV2 when you don't get MTV.

They have always stated optional and if you click that, it states to add the pak on your order... I believe the bonus pak has always required an additional pak (such as variety)
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
I was pointing out he still needed a cable card.
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus to signcarver

Premium Member

to signcarver
Being that I already have HSI service, would they really bother with a truck roll to install a filter if I order economy and/or downgraded to it from Advanced after a promo period (not going for any price lock...)?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

yes. and they'll charge you for it too
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

Unreal.
Looks like some folks didn't get a truck roll for it, at least, in previous comments - »Downgrading from Essential to Economy - Thwarted!

I'd prefer to just sign up at the local office, and walk out with the card I need, and pay for what I get. I'm not looking to "game the system" by any means, I just don't see a need for a filter / truck roll, and would hope they don't either. Will just have to see, if/when the time comes.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
yes because the filter would block the freq's of the channels you no longer pay for.
no truck roll needed if your area is all digital[e.g. you need a box / cc for even basic]