spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SanSan1013
@69.196.139.x

SanSan1013

Anon

[DSL] Unstable speed since upgrade to DSL 15/1

I'm at my wit's end with this erratic internet speed!

Just over a month ago, I upgraded my DSL from 6 to 15/1.

I was using TP-link TD-8616 modem + D-link DIR-655 router during the first week after the speed upgrade, and experienced a lot of disconnects, drops, slow speeds. Called tech support and they saw I was only getting partial sync with the 8616, recommended I test out with another modem. So I swapped to the D-link DSL-520B modem instead. The speed improved and stabilized, I was getting full sync and no random or frequent disconnects. Actually experienced close to 15 Mbps!

... Until last week. The frequent disconnects and unstable speeds came back.
This time, I tested out at a different phone jack, unplugged my one landline phone (which has a filter), tried a different phone cord, connect directly to modem, all to no avail. Called tech support yesterday and they said the 520B is not a good modem to use, and actually recommended I go back to the 8616. I switch back and they did a line test and said they see a better sync now, but still only a partial sync. They suggest I get a new 8616 modem, mine is only 2.5 years old. Then hours later after my tech support call, I'm experiencing yet the same disconnects and slow speed again.

I am lost at where my issue is coming from.
Is it only a hardware problem? Do I need to buy a third and new modem to test? The 8616 modem is less than 3 years old, and the 520B may be 3-4 years old.

Another dilemma is my house is older and I cannot locate my demarc point to do direct testing there. Tech support doesn't think it is Bell's network causing these speed drops/fluctuations, but I have no way to test and eliminate.

Could there be other testings I can try? How else can I pinpoint where the problem is originating from before I go buy another modem?

My knowledge on this isn't very advanced so I'll appreciate any insight please!

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

How do your lines stats look?

TSI Jonathan
Premium Member
join:2011-08-24
Chatham, ON

TSI Jonathan to SanSan1013

Premium Member

to SanSan1013
Please have a look here so that we can further assist you -> »[DSL] DSL Slow Speeds - Need Your Help!

SanSan1013
@76.10.138.x

SanSan1013 to Mike2009

Anon

to Mike2009
Click for full size
said by Mike2009:

How do your lines stats look?

I copied this from my modem config after connected my comp directly to it. Are you referring to this?

I see the speed is drastically better if I directly hook up to modem only, but drops after I add a router (the speedtest results above). Could this be an issue?

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37

Your modem is syncing at 16319 / 1085 which is solid.
With your SNR margins I think you're getting fully sync'ed to your line profile. Aka you're set to the same 16/1 speed your modem syncs at.

Try a speed test when you're direct to modem.

If it is in fact only the router slowing you down you can try a few things - test WIRED to the router not wireless, make sure you don't have any QOS/odd settings in the router, factory reset it, firmware update it, replace it.

PTSP
@64.56.228.x

PTSP to SanSan1013

Anon

to SanSan1013
Your issues have to do with not having a POTS splitter. Without seeing what your DMT graph looks like, and only going by your line stats, I can guarantee that's your issue. (I've seen it (and fixed it) a hundred + times, literally.)

SanSan1013
@76.10.134.x

SanSan1013

Anon

Click for full size

Earlier today, I switched everything back to my previous setup before this issue began, DSL-520B modem + D-link router.
I was not seeing any improvements connecting the 8616 modem.

At this very moment (3am), I am seeing decent speeds with my router wired connected.

I've attached my 520B modem stats also (I hope I've copied the right page).

Could it still be my router problem if I see these kind of numbers?

I just experienced another speed drop/disconnect again with this setup, it's only for 1 min or so and I'm reconnected again after.

I'm more than confused if this issue is from my setup/configuration, or if I'm missing a certain hardware from the very start, or my lines are just plain bad!

PTSP -
I'm not familiar with DMT graphs, (my knowledge on this is VERY basic and general, sorry!) is this something I can find from my router? Or available online?
Whenever I call tech support and mention about the lack of a POTS splitter, they all say it's not be necessary or won't make much of a difference. Should I push for having one installed?

Can anyone also help clarify TSI Jonathan's post? (I made another reply and didn't seem to have been posted yet)
I'm not familiar with 2 of the steps in the link he posted, if I do create a new thread in the Direct forum.

4) Tracert google.ca & Ping -n 50 google.ca (you can use MTR to ping google.ca [50 times])
5) Connect with Login/Password test@test / test
a) Note Your 10.x.x.x IP
b) Ping Gateway ("ping -n 50 10.x.x.1")

Thank you so much for everyone's help!