dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bfinleyui
join:2014-10-24

bfinleyui

SNR went through the floor, urgent, anything I can do?

Sometime in the past few days, my SNR went through the floor, down to about 6.2 both downstream and upstream. Nothing changed, it just went kaput. This has taken my 40/5 connection down to about 4/3, sometimes worse.

I've been through all their suggestions. Different cables, modem resets, different phone jacks, and nothing. The 'best' the SNR can do is 6.2 down, 9.4 up. Which doesn't help the speed issues/intermittent dropouts at all.

Tomorrow, I'm supposed to be doing Extra Life, a 24-hour gaming marathon for charity, and streaming it online. Obviously without a working internet connection, that can't really happen...

The earliest appointment they had was Tuesday. They said they've pulled me to the front of the line for any cancellations or free technicians, but I'm not optimistic...

Is there anything I can do myself to try and fix this? Would a different modem help? Any sort of filter or amplifier I can use? Any magic keyphrase I can tell a support person to get someone out my way? I'm desperate...

Thanks

chamb
@67.235.80.x

chamb

Anon

Could be a loose connection or a broken wire inside your home or in the NID.
DSL will run on only one of the two wires but it will run very poorly. The issue could also be a problem with CenturyLinks wiring from the DSLAM to your home. You need both wires in the "pair" to be running high speeds.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ to bfinleyui

to bfinleyui
Enable telnet access to the modem (look in the Web UI, may be under remote access or something, but careful not to enable telnet to the world), telnet in and do "adsl configure --snr 150". If it doesn't work, replace "adsl" with "adslctl" or "xdslctl" and try that. I'm assuming you're using one of CL's supported VDSL2 modems.

This will increase your minimum SNR, which will improve stability but at the expense of a lower train rate. You may want to play with the 150 number and increase it further; I suggest going as high as possible while maintaining a comfortable speed (even 5/1 should be fine for gaming, unless you're live streaming). Wait a few seconds for the retrain and do "adsl info --show" to view the current trained rate and SNR.
bfinleyui
join:2014-10-24

bfinleyui

Even going to 150 killed the connection, it would train, but wouldn't give me any actual internet connection.

It's a ZyXEL Q100.

I went outside and hooked directly into the NID. Very small change in the SNR (6.2/9.1), but was able to get a little faster connection, at ~25/5. So while the speed improve, the SNR is still awful, so I'm hoping they'll replace the NID or check their line upstream.

The weird part is, this whole time, it's training between 35-40/5, but the actual speeds are nowhere near that, obviously.

So for now, I'm just that ghetto guy running a phone wire from his NID into the downstairs bedroom window.

Oye.

Thanks for the suggestions (especially to go check the NID), I'll update this after Tuesday's appointment.

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ

What was the SNR & rate at when you set it to 150? You could attempt going higher if there's any headroom. I'm unsure what'll happen if it can't meet the minimum you've set, if the modem will train at the highest possible (so a very low rate) or not train at all. You'll be looking at a very slow connection, but it may be better than nothing.

I doubt they'll replace the NID, the problem sounds further upstream.