uniqs

samthegam
join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA
eero Wi-Fi System
Hitron EN2251

samthegam

[HSI] Motorola / Arris 6183 Won't Activate

I purchased a Motorola Arris 6183 from Best Buy this afternoon but sad to say Charter won't activate it. The support rep said it was an incompatible modem and could not be activated - when using install.charter.com it gives me an error that the modem is not compatible with my plan. I am on Ultra 100. I am in Monterey Park, CA 91754 in the modem status I was able to bond with 16 channels.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

[HSI] Re: Motorola / Arris 6183 Won't Activate

Yeah its not on the Charter complaint list yet. So, no surprise it will not activate with Charter. Cisco DPC3216 is complaint. I cant find it yet though at retail. I know some Charter offices are giving them out now.

»www.myaccount.charter.co ··· eid=2623

samthegam
Monterey Park, CA

samthegam

Thanks for posting the list. There is a listing for Cisco DPC3216 on eBay. Hopefully, the 6183 will become compliant soon!!!

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
Depends on whether you're in a "CISCO" market as to whether you'll see one where you are. they are not stocked in the local office here, but the tech's have them.
Its a modem/phone unit (and from what the tech says, if you have phone and internet, it requires a truck roll.......not a unit you can just take back to the local office and exchange...
said by KoRnGtL15:

Yeah its not on the Charter complaint list yet. So, no surprise it will not activate with Charter. Cisco DPC3216 is complaint. I cant find it yet though at retail. I know some Charter offices are giving them out now.

»www.myaccount.charter.co ··· eid=2623

samthegam
Monterey Park, CA
eero Wi-Fi System
Hitron EN2251

samthegam

How to tell if I am in a Cisco market? I am in Monterey Park, CA 91754

Been doing some simple web searches and found this - Basically it states that Charter has approved the 6183 for deployment but may be slow rolling it out -

»www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 0MA5U1FW
historyvids
join:2010-11-19
Gaffney, SC

historyvids

I think every market is a "Cisco" market... they seem to prefer their modems but it may just be a supply issue. Until the past week or so the 6183 wasn't widely available.

I think the 6183 will be approved sooner rather than later for use. So far there haven't been any retailers offering the Cisco one at all. I found the same listing you did on eBay for one, but it seems sketchy at best. I'd be afraid that one is from a cable company and wouldn't work. They couldn't even get the specs right on their listing.

I'll wait for a reputable retailer and live with what I have right now.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to samthegam

Premium Member

to samthegam
You can tell by what brand of set top boxes Charter uses. For modem it doesn't matter what market you're on. In the Time Warner Cable Los Angeles market they use Cisco, Motorola, Ubee, and Arris modems.
Caboosey
join:2006-06-22
Pismo Beach, CA

1 recommendation

Caboosey to samthegam

to samthegam
said by samthegam:

I purchased a Motorola Arris 6183 from Best Buy this afternoon but sad to say Charter won't activate it. The support rep said it was an incompatible modem and could not be activated - when using install.charter.com it gives me an error that the modem is not compatible with my plan. I am on Ultra 100. I am in Monterey Park, CA 91754 in the modem status I was able to bond with 16 channels.

Thats very sad of Charter. I know some other cable providers would allow you even though it may not be on their compliant list.

Charter is still too restrictive. Hopefully they will allow this new modem soon since after all FCC was about to force them to allow customer owned cable modems, but instead Charter decided to allow customer owned cable modems just prior to an FCC deadline for hearing about it.

samthegam
Monterey Park, CA
eero Wi-Fi System
Hitron EN2251

samthegam

I am glad Charter is once allowing customer owned modems. Every time I had a tech come out they immediately blamed the customer owned modem Arris Motorola 6141 for my T3/T4 timeout issues. Some techs refused to do anything to rectify the situation before they swapped the modem. I stood my ground and told them I will keep my legacy Ultra 100 pricing.

I too hope they allow the Arris Motorola 6183 soon. I am trying to obtain a Cisco 3216 which is the only modem that Charter accepts with 16 channel downstream.
samthegam

1 edit

samthegam

Re: [HSI] Motorola / Arris 6183 Won't Activate

Click for full size
Even though it is not listed as compliant modem I was able to get the Arris Motorola 6183 activated this afternoon!!! It worked with install.charter.com
xlilxbo1x
join:2003-10-01
Alhambra, CA

xlilxbo1x to samthegam

to samthegam
which bestbuy did you buy it from? i still don't see the sb6183 on their website

samthegam
Monterey Park, CA

samthegam

I purchased it from the location in Montebello, CA the Best Buy SKU# 9082019 they can order one for you at the store. It is $129.99
arbit3r9
Nighthawk RAX80 Arris SB8200 rev4
join:2006-02-08
Dorr, MI

arbit3r9

Don't see any those listed on their site but probably not on there. Will stick with my trusty 8x4 til probably the 24x8 that people say will be out early next year.
audiolocator
join:2001-11-30
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator to samthegam

to samthegam
Click for full size
I swapped out my ancient SB6120 for a SB6183 today.

I'm only getting 9 channel bonding. Does St. Louis not have 16 channel bonding yet?

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Re: [HSI] Re: Motorola / Arris 6183 Won't Activate

It does not matter if hes in a Cisco Market or not.

We install Arris, Cisco, & Motorola modems here
and our head end is Motorola
DLow

DLow

@audiolocator

Your levels are a little off buddy :|
audiolocator
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator

ya, they're high but still within spec. The 6183 seems to be more sensitive than my old 6120 because the power levels are about 2dB higher.

samthegam
Monterey Park, CA

samthegam

I am getting better signal levels on my SB6183 then compared to the 6141. And in the past 5 days I have not had a modem reboot due to T4 timeout. Still receive an occasional T3 timeout.
audiolocator
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator to samthegam

to samthegam

Getting the same speeds as my old modem. I didn't upgrade expecting it to be faster, but instead to improve reliability and futureproof going from a 4x1 modem to a 16x4 hoping that Ultra becomes a 200 or 300 service next year.

samthegam
Monterey Park, CA
eero Wi-Fi System
Hitron EN2251

samthegam

WOW!!! Impressive speeds on Ultra. Still getting 100Mbps down here. I too hope Ultra goes to 200 or 300 with a faster upload. Time Warner offers 300/20 already in Los Angeles.

DLow
join:2013-11-16
Waxahachie, TX

DLow to audiolocator

to audiolocator

Re: [HSI] Re: Motorola / Arris 6183 Won't Activate

its not in spec per charter.

historyvids
Gaffney, SC

historyvids

Thank you for posting that. I've often wondered exactly what the proper ranges are

Red Hazard
Premium Member
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Red Hazard to audiolocator

Premium Member

to audiolocator

Not yet but I can confirm that Charter is distributing 16X4 to new accounts. I activated our LAN with Charter at our local American Legion post and we were provided an SMC D3G1604W which is a 16X4 Modem/Gateway. Fortunately they put the SMC in the bridging mode since we are providing our own wireless, switch and router functions. I will be swapping out my home SB6141 with an DPC3216 that I got on Ebay for a song and will post when they bond all 16 in the STL area.
Red Hazard

Red Hazard to audiolocator

Premium Member

to audiolocator
said by audiolocator:

I swapped out my ancient SB6120 for a SB6183 today.

I'm only getting 9 channel bonding. Does St. Louis not have 16 channel bonding yet?

I am getting all 16 bonded channels with a Cisco DPC3216 modem. I am in the STL Metro-east off the Roxana edge device. I did notice that I am getting better S/N ratios. Download speed is about the same as the previous SB6141- -perhaps 1 Mbps better.
historyvids
Gaffney, SC

3 edits

historyvids to samthegam

to samthegam
Well I got my new 6183 activated today, but I can't pull up the configuration page to view the signal levels... What gives?

The IP address of the 6183 is still 192.168.100.1 isn't it? I just get an err_empty_response from chrome

EDIT: If I go to »192.168.100.1/RgSwInfo.asp I can access the modem, but when I click on the "Status" tab it fails to load... with the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE message. I've tried multiple devices & browsers. Do I just have a dud modem?

Is it possible that Charter is somehow now blocking the status page?

»192.168.100.1/RgConnect.asp wont' load... no matter what browser I use... even on my iPad. I've re-started both the modem & router multiple times.
audiolocator
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator

said by historyvids:

Well I got my new 6183 activated today, but I can't pull up the configuration page to view the signal levels... What gives?

The IP address of the 6183 is still 192.168.100.1 isn't it? I just get an err_empty_response from chrome

EDIT: If I go to »192.168.100.1/RgSwInfo.asp I can access the modem, but when I click on the "Status" tab it fails to load... with the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE message. I've tried multiple devices & browsers. Do I just have a dud modem?

Is it possible that Charter is somehow now blocking the status page?

»192.168.100.1/RgConnect.asp wont' load... no matter what browser I use... even on my iPad. I've re-started both the modem & router multiple times.

Works fine for me. Maybe try doing a factory reset in the config tab?
historyvids
Gaffney, SC

1 edit

historyvids

Is your computer connected directly to the modem, or through a router first? Everything I read on the TWC forums say that it does this intentionally once you've connected to a router. Strange, but maybe unfixable if that is the case.

Won't a factory reset mean I have to go back through the install.charter.net routine again?

samthegam
Monterey Park, CA

samthegam

Everything works fine with mine. I am connected to a router. Doing a factory reset will not require you to go install.charter.net again.
audiolocator
Saint Peters, MO

audiolocator to historyvids

to historyvids
Did you buy the white colored consumer version of the modem or did you buy the black cable provider version?
historyvids
Gaffney, SC

historyvids

the white consumer version. Apparently this is a widespread problem with both versions based on the discussion on the TWC Forums. I e-mailed tech support too, and they said this is the first they've heard of it. All of the other tabs on the GUI work if you key in their addresses... except for the status one... it's crazy.