spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Daekwan
join:2014-10-29
Bowie, MD

Daekwan

Both ethernet & coax from ONT possible? Not getting 150/150 speed

Yesterday I had a Verizon technician come to my house for a service call. The purpose of the visit was to drop off a MoCA 2.0 8-way splitter that was needed to provide the proper level of bandwidth between my new Quantum TV boxes which are client/server based. Knowing that the tech was on the way, I ordered the new Greenwave G1100 router and Verizon was able to ship it in time. While the tech was installing the new 8-way splitter, I asked if she would switch my internet connection over from coax to ethernet.

She said that I had 75/75 plan and that was only necessary with plans above the 100mbs mark. So I asked her to upgrade me to the 150/150 plan, switch to ethernet for internet service and figured I would could always call Verizon the next day and have the 150/150 package dropped back down to the 75/75 plan. We went ahead with this plan and she outside of the house to the ONT to provide the switch. While she was switching everything over, I installed the G1100 making sure to only connect the ethernet cable from the ONT. When she gave me the green light.. I figured up my Macbook (which only only goes up to .11n) and pulled down speeds of 82down/90up. The tech said that the wifi was probably slowing the speeds.. so I changed the connection from wifi to ethernet between the Macbook & G1100. Still showed the same speeds. We both concluded that Verizon probably takes a day or so to switch the speeds from 75/75 to 150/150.

I continued to test the speeds throughout the day and even this morning. Still maxes out exactly at the same thing.. 83down/90up. I went back to the router to check out the wiring and noticed something weird. If I unplugged the ethernet-ONT cable from the WAN port.. the TV stayed on. I then thought it and checked the 8-way splitter and sure enough coax-ONT (I'm assuming) was still plugged in there. Which leaves me with a few questions:

1) When the speed is increased, how long should it take to see the upgrade?

2) Should I call Verizon if the speed upgraded has not shown up by this evening?

3) Is it possible to have BOTH ethernet-ONT for internet.. and coax-ONT for TV service.

For the last question I've also noticed something else. On the FIOS mobile app.. the remote for my Quantum TV boxes no longer works. It gives the error that they must be connected to the same wifi network to work. That has lead me to think that ethernet-ONT for internet and coax-ONT for TV service has created two seperate networks in my home.

1) Is there any way to combine this?

2) Can I run coax from the G1100 router to the 8-way splitter to provide TV service AND combine the two networks.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Whether your WAN connection is provisioned over ethernet or coax makes NO differences to your TV service.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can coax and ethernet be active at the same time?

1) You should see the speed increase almost immediately assuming you're on GPON. If you're on BPON, the ONT has to be swapped out and your fiber must be moved to a different splitter at the hub.

2) Yes.

3) See above link. Linear TV channels are never delivered over ethernet.

Did you disconnect from the network on the old router and connect to the network on the new router?

2) You MUST have coax running from the G1100 to the 8-way splitter to provide the MOCA LAN signal for the STBs. This has nothing to do with "two networks".

edit: I'm wondering if you're on BPON and the tech changed only the provisioning from coax to cat5 and did not upgrade you.
Daekwan
Bowie, MD

Daekwan

said by More Fiber:

1) Did you disconnect from the network on the old router and connect to the network on the new router?

2) You MUST have coax running from the G1100 to the 8-way splitter to provide the MOCA LAN signal for the STBs. This has nothing to do with "two networks".

3) I'm wondering if you're on BPON and the tech changed only the provisioning from coax to cat5 and did not upgrade you.

1) Yes I did. Essentially the G1100 only has two cables plugged in. Both are ethernet connections. One is plugged into the WAN port going to the ONT. The other is plugged into PORT1 and going into my 16port switch (which the rest of my network devices connect too)

2) There is currently no coax between the G1100 & 8-way splitter. Are you saying should run coax between those two devices? This is a *must* for things to work correctly?

3) I will have to look up the definition of BPON & GPON. I am not familiar with either. I will say that I believe the only thing the tech did yesterday was change the provisioning from coax to cat5 & hook up the 8-way splitter.

Are you saying that the tech should have replaced the ONT outside the house? And also change my fiber connection at a hub (which Im assuming is not located anywhere near my house)?

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

A Gpon ont is required for that package,also make sure your coax connection and ethernet connection is enabled.
Daekwan
Bowie, MD

Daekwan

Is there a link where I can look up the defintions of the terms BPON & GPON?

Nevermind.. found it: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is BPON or GPON?

Thanks!
Daekwan

Daekwan to tito79

to tito79
said by tito79:

Also make sure your coax connection and ethernet connection is enabled.

After connecting the coax between the G1100 & 8-way splitter.. I would enable that connection on the G1100 router?
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

Taking a picture of your ONT and posting it here would help greatly to help determine if you are already on BPON or GPON. Then again, there should be a page on the G1100 which indicates the port speed of all its connected ethernet cables. WAN needs to say 1000-Full Duplex. BPON only went to 100Mbit.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Daekwan

MVM

to Daekwan
said by Daekwan:

Are you saying should run coax between those two devices? This is a *must* for things to work correctly?

Yes. No coax connected to the G1100, no MOCA LAN which is required for the STBs.
said by Daekwan:

Are you saying that the tech should have replaced the ONT outside the house? And also change my fiber connection at a hub (which Im assuming is not located anywhere near my house)?

That depends on whether you're on BPON or already on GPON. You haven't supplied enough information to tell. We need the model number of the ONT. The model number of the ONT should be on the inside cover of the ONT.

Or as roleteC suggested, you can look at the WAN port connection speed. If the WAN port connection speed is 100Mbps, you're on a BPON ONT.
said by Daekwan:

After connecting the coax between the G1100 & 8-way splitter.. I would enable that connection on the G1100 router?

No need to enable the connection. The router will detect the connection automatically.
Daekwan
Bowie, MD

Daekwan to RolteC

to RolteC
Click for full size
ONT
Click for full size
G1100
said by RolteC:

Taking a picture of your ONT and posting it here would help greatly to help determine if you are already on BPON or GPON. Then again, there should be a page on the G1100 which indicates the port speed of all its connected ethernet cables. WAN needs to say 1000-Full Duplex. BPON only went to 100Mbit.

Here are pics of the ONT attached to the outside of the house. And the G1100 router.

I did notice the 10/100/1000 light for the ONT was blinking, which would indicate there is a 1000 connection. Now whether that connection is between the G1100 & ONT.. or between the ONT & BPON or GPON.

Let me know your thoughts.
Daekwan

Daekwan to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

Yes. No coax connected to the G1100, no MOCA LAN which is required for the STBs.

That depends on whether you're on BPON or already on GPON. You haven't supplied enough information to tell. We need the model number of the ONT. The model number of the ONT should be on the inside cover of the ONT.

Or as roleteC suggested, you can look at the WAN port connection speed. If the WAN port connection speed is 100Mbps, you're on a BPON ONT.

No need to enable the connection. The router will detect the connection automatically.

I've connected the G1100 and 8-way splitter by coax. Sure enough my Quantum boxes show up on the LAN again and the remote control features through the FIOS Mobile app work again. In the G1100 pic I posted above.. you can see the LAN light is lit beside the coax connector.

ONT appears to be a Motorola ONT1000GT4-OPT-VZ

Thanks a million!!

tito79
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

Moca light looks like its not on?
Daekwan
Bowie, MD

Daekwan

MoCA shouldnt be on right? The internet connection is now using ethernet, not coax.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

1 edit

hubrisnxs to Daekwan

to Daekwan
that ont is gpon, you can tell by the light diagram picture on the right. go to the last option and you have 10/100/1000 and yours is OFF, nothing is probably plugged in when you took the picture, it needs to be blinking to indicate it's going over 100mb so what is it doing when you plug your router in
Daekwan
Bowie, MD

Daekwan

The 10/100/1000 light was blinking. Just very slowly and the camera did not catch it.

tito79
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to Daekwan

to Daekwan
Could be a bad connection just saying?
tito79

tito79 to Daekwan

to Daekwan
Check all wiring is correct

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

1 recommendation

PoloDude to Daekwan

Premium Member

to Daekwan
That is one crappy looking CAT5 connection at the ONT

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

+1

Looks like a good two inches of hardly twisted cabling. That should probably be re-terminated.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to Daekwan

Premium Member

to Daekwan
Is that the Motorola Ont 1000GT4. This not looks like the same one I have.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to Daekwan

Premium Member

to Daekwan
You would have found that after a while with the coax cable not connected to the G1100, your STBs would have been unable to download new guide and program data. You would also be unable to use Video On-Demand. The Verizon STBs require an internet connection for those, along with the remote control app, to function. This is difficult to see without explanation because of the way the old setup functioned. There are two different parts to MoCA. MoCA WAN brings internet from the ONT to the router, and MoCA LAN brings internet from the router to the STBs. That's how your old setup functioned, and it only required one coax cable connected to the Actiontec for both MoCA WAN and MoCA LAN. Now with the new setup, the internet is brought from the ONT into the router using the Ethernet cable you see connected. The internet is then brought from the router to the STBs over the coax which you have now connected to your G1100. Hopefully you now have a more clear understanding of the way everything is working in your setup.