spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kittys
@108.170.168.x

kittys

Anon

Cable Internet Price Differences via Loacation

I notice Nexicom now services Peterborough with high speed cable internet . I'm curious why there's such a price difference between Cable 55 in Peterborough $189.99!!! and Cable 50 Bridgenorth/Lakefield $99.95.

When the Cable 20 in Ptbo is $59.95 vs Cable 25 Bridgenorth/Lakefield $64.95 are basically the same.

Other providers that service Ptbo ie..Start Communications ,Teksavvy, Cogeco etc..are all in the $90 to $104 range for 50 to 55 download /unlimited packages.

If that is the correct price and not a typo on the website, will the price come down over time?

dmas1er
join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er

In the Peterborough area they are a TPIA provider, which costs much more then owning the network infrastructure that is connected directly to home. - Like they do in Bridgenorth / Lakefield.

See the tariff rates they have to pay in this document;

»www.cogeco.ca/export/sit ··· 6400.pdf

Specifically page 45 of the document.

They pay Cogeco $24 per month per customer on cable 55.

They also have interconnect fees of $1,673.63 per every 100 meg (crazy rates!)

They also pay for up-links the internet as well. (Once ccable hands off the traffic onto the Nexicom network)

Anyways, not that I agree with the super high rates on cable 55.... I do understand why they have to charge so much on the unlimited service.

Teksavvy or Start might have been better at negotiating interconnection rates with ccable, which could account for better pricing... who knows.

You probably won’t get Nexicom staff commenting on pricing threads.

kittys
@108.170.168.x

kittys

Anon

Thank you for your input, I assumed it was because Cogeco vs Nexicom infrastructure etc..

I still hope maybe in the future they can negotiate better rates with Cogeco. So then I can "buy local"