spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JamfSlayer
join:2012-11-04
Columbus, OH

JamfSlayer

Anyone notice a little speed boost?

Not that I am complaining at all, but did anyone notice that if you're on the 50M/5M tier, you got a little bit of an upgrade to 65M/5M? WOW_Dan, maybe you can fill us all in? I also noticed that my upstream now has 3 bonded channels.. Is this a sign of a good thing to come?

-Jamie
avediswolf
Premium Member
join:2012-04-14
Hilliard, OH

avediswolf

Premium Member

I just noticed that myself, and came here to see if anyone else has.
I'm getting 65.11 Down and 4.73 Up.
LuckyDay
join:2014-02-05
USA

LuckyDay to JamfSlayer

to JamfSlayer
MY DL speed hasn't changed, but my upload doubled over the course of the last couple of days.

I'm on the 15/1 plan at the moment.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by LuckyDay:

MY DL speed hasn't changed, but my upload doubled over the course of the last couple of days.

I'm on the 15/1 plan at the moment.

Most of us on the 15/1 plan already have 15/2 so I can see them aligning that.

Puremin0rez
join:2012-02-22

Puremin0rez to JamfSlayer

to JamfSlayer
My internet has been "bursting" speeds recently - I'll start a file download and it'll download at crazy fast speeds of 5mb/s and then drop down to what I normally get, 3.6mb/s.

I pay for 30/3 but speed tests have been showing 35-40mbps down recently and upload speed goes all the way up to 15mbps for a short period before jumping back down to 3.5mbps.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to JamfSlayer

Premium Member

to JamfSlayer
I guess since they're talking about it on Twitter, I can mention it here. We have a 110Mbps download package coming next year, I won't speak for the upload side yet because I'm not certain what it will be, and it varies between residential and commercial I believe. We've spent all of 2014 making major system upgrades to accommodate this, which includes launching addition upstream and downstream DOCSIS channels and better provisioning. This is why customers are starting to see better speed tests and more downstream/upstream channel bonding in many areas. The changes made are different depending on the market, and are still ongoing.

Samir
join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL

Samir

Thank you for the update Dan.

Inflex
join:2002-09-05

Inflex to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Wow, thanks Dan. Looking forward to it.
Fokker
join:2002-06-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Fokker to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I was told by two WOW guys back in February that the reason the service 'round here was so unstable was the 'huge upgrade' that we have yet to see.

Any news on the Mid-Michigan area updates? Or are we still stuck in the past. (I know most of it was Millenium's fault.)
OldEE
Premium Member
join:2002-08-25
Westerville, OH

OldEE to JamfSlayer

Premium Member

to JamfSlayer
Within the last week, my 15/1 service is yielding 20/3 or higher in my SE Westerville area.

Preceding that, my cable Video feed gained strength which restored my HD Channels 245 and 292 which had been unavailable for several months on my external cable card setup. Suddenly one morning recently they were again strongly available. My internal Ceton Cablecard Infinity device had a more sensitive tuner and marginally received those channels most of the time. Thanks to WOW for making it right.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

yeah, here in Clintonville right now my very original 15/2 grandfathered plan--which in the recent past has been a ROCK SOLID 15.2/2.02--is now, in the middle of a Saturday evening, showing 20/5.

Well, about that 5: it shows 5 right to the last few bits of upload, where it seems to stop long enough to get the average d/l down to 2.02.

This is with the internal speed test.

I'll try speedtest.net early tomorrow morning, because right now speedtest.net is showing only 12.76/3.58.

quarkcookie
@65.60.163.x

quarkcookie

Anon

I am also seeing some unusual speed. Downloads begin with a 30 Mbps burst then settling to 15. Uploads peak to 15 then settle to 2.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

said by quarkcookie :

Downloads begin with a 30 Mbps burst then settling to 15.

This and others are exactly describing what Comcast refers to as "Power Boost" where initial speed is boosted before it settles on the lesser sustained speed. The time of this boost may vary depending on system load.

"Power Boost" may be a Comcast trademark name so I don't know what WOW will call it.

No update here, yet, so those with some speed graphs... show us!
baess
join:2011-01-28

1 recommendation

baess

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Bill_MI:

No update here, yet, so those with some speed graphs... show us!

15/2. Upload and download spike slightly higher than captured.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

This and others are exactly describing what Comcast refers to as "Power Boost" where initial speed is boosted before it settles on the lesser sustained speed. The time of this boost may vary depending on system load.

"Power Boost" may be a Comcast trademark name so I don't know what WOW will call it.

FYI - Comcast has not used power boost in probably close to two years. Now they just have flat speeds. A big part of the reason I switch from WOW to Comcast is that, tier for tier, Comcast has is about double or more what WOWs comparable speed tier is. Hopefully WOW rectifies that in coming months.

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

stet to JamfSlayer

to JamfSlayer
Still getting 15/1 here. No speed boost, no speed upgrade.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm to clocks11

to clocks11
said by clocks11:

said by Bill_MI:

FYI - Comcast has not used power boost in probably close to two years. Now they just have flat speeds. A big part of the reason I switch from WOW to Comcast is that, tier for tier, Comcast has is about double or more what WOWs comparable speed tier is. Hopefully WOW rectifies that in coming months.

WOW will never offer PowerBoost, because that's a Cisco uBR10K specific feature that needs turned on in software. WOW uses Arris/Cadant C4's and Arris E(ugh)6600's.

If they stick to their schedule, customers can expect parity with Comcast's current speeds sometime in 2021-2022 best case with D3.0 modems while everyone else is on 4.1.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

said by RootWyrm:

WOW will never offer PowerBoost, because that's a Cisco uBR10K specific feature that needs turned on in software. WOW uses Arris/Cadant C4's and Arris E(ugh)6600's.

Arris/Cadant surely has marketeers. But a fancy trademarked buzz word still eludes us.

Do they have a name for it? Is the function as identical as it appears?
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to RootWyrm

to RootWyrm
said by RootWyrm:

If they stick to their schedule, customers can expect parity with Comcast's current speeds sometime in 2021-2022 best case with D3.0 modems while everyone else is on 4.1.

LOL Yeah, that's why I switched. I was paying a fortune for 30/3, while Comcasts 60/12 plan was much cheaper. I wanted to switch to WOWs 50/5 plan, but that was way out of line price-wise.

WOW tactic was to try to convince me no one needs more than 15/1 anyway. Sure, no one NEEDS hi-def either, but it sure does make life better.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm to Bill_MI

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

said by RootWyrm:

Arris/Cadant surely has marketeers. But a fancy trademarked buzz word still eludes us.

Do they have a name for it? Is the function as identical as it appears?

PowerBoost was purely a Comcrap invention in terms of name; everyone with uBRs offered or could offer the same under different marketing names. It is literally nothing more than a configuration change. The Cisco terminology is Enhanced Rate Bandwidth Allocation (ERBA). Companies that were offering it pulled it when they moved to Arris/Cadant C4's for IPv6 (I think it was TWC/RR but don't hold me to it) because Arris/Cadant can't do it.

»www.cablelabs.com/wp-con ··· 1008.pdf

Not at all surprisingly, it is considered entirely obsolete (seriously, it dates to DOCSIS 1.0 and was tested on the uBR7246.) For good reason, since congestion control methods have changed substantially even for 2.0 plant. The specific mechanism by which ERBA works (it dynamically adjusts certain timing slots) stopped being useful with dynamic channel switching and higher baseline speeds.

As Arris/Cadant have proven to fucking suck at a lot of things, the last thing anyone wants is them trying to do this. Guaranteed you'll see whole-system TCP sawtoothing, which is great for making the entire plant unusable and nothing else. They still can't even get proto 41 right, and that's far easier.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

In case you missed it, several in this thread report a PowerBoost-like function after a regional upgrade we will all see soon. So here we go.

Inflex
join:2002-09-05

Inflex to JamfSlayer

to JamfSlayer
I am now experiencing this, so we have a power-boost like feature deployed in MI now.

I guess it's not as impossible as RootWrym makes it out to be.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved to JamfSlayer

to JamfSlayer
Rapid City also. Using an Arris modem, which is the CM820A.