Hybrid Fibre 30: $64.99/month
Hybrid Fibre 60: $72.99/month
Hybrid Fibre 150: $88.99/month
Hybrid Fibre 250: $102.99/month

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

no big deal, $3 - still a good deal for my needs.
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1

They better Increase speed to I am gonna switch soon because we are about to hit 1tb so i want Unlimited

damir
CANADA

damir

250 (320) is plenty (unlimited available), not sure why would you need more then that?
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

541.1 GB of 400GB quota used (135%)
162.7 GB of free traffic used during the unlimited transfer window

huhhuh
@99.237.4.x

huhhuh

Anon

not sure what your point is? Rogers offers unlimited internet \ and you are looking for 150 or 250 tier?
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

Going to switch back to them soon in the next coming month just waiting for the 150 or 250 to come in then switching over

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Switching to who?
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

Rogers

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to damir

Premium Member

to damir
said by damir:

Generally I'd agree.

The problem I have is that Rogers -just- overhauled the pricing when they introduced the Hybrid Fibre plans. This is basically Rogers MO - they adjust pricing to reasonable (albeit still high) levels, then slowly issue a series of increases until their pricing is uncompetitively high, then introduce new plans to reset them again.

Wash rinse repeat.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

Hooter to damir

to damir
said by damir:

Don't forget - that is just the increase for Internet. Add in price increases for Cable (also announced) of about the same amount and home phone also going up (announced as well) you could potentially be looking at an increase of around $7-8 per month! My Math calculates that at about $84-96 per year. Considering that Rogers raises prices 2-3 times a year, some of us are looking at potential increases of $252-288 over the course of the next year. No big deal you say! LOL!
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

Hopefully we will see some more speed every time they do that they end up adding speed

damir
CANADA

damir to Hooter

to Hooter
said by Hooter:

said by damir:

Don't forget - that is just the increase for Internet. Add in price increases for Cable (also announced) of about the same amount and home phone also going up (announced as well) you could potentially be looking at an increase of around $7-8 per month! My Math calculates that at about $84-96 per year. Considering that Rogers raises prices 2-3 times a year, some of us are looking at potential increases of $252-288 over the course of the next year. No big deal you say! LOL!

As i only use Rogers for Internet (+ cell , my plan is $55/mo (everything i need included - for years already) - no big deal for my needs\pocket, as already said.

Not sure what is or what was so funny about my opinion?

If you find it expensive, lucky you, a "lot" of competition out there, i would recommend you TSI in that case, you can check their forum and see why - i recommend them.

Enjoy your day.
damir

damir to dallas1

to dallas1
said by dallas1:

Hopefully we will see some more speed every time they do that they end up adding speed

I doubt we will see another increase of the speed any time soon, at least not before March\April of 2015.

I don't think its even needed.

250(320) is plenty - if you really need something fast fast.

Many servers (www & ftp, etc) out there are still on 100mbit port, so, good luck maxing out that service
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to damir

to damir
said by damir:

Not sure what is or what was so funny about my opinion?

I just have to question how anyone can be so accepting of these never ending price increases from Rogers. We in Canada are already paying some of the highest prices in the world for Internet. Rogers is raising prices 2-3 times per year. I could accept one increase per year and not be too upset, but when there is a second round of increases in March and then a third round in August, it is hard to accept and not realize that just maybe there is something just not right here. The bottom line is that Rogers raises prices because they can - because of a lack of true competition.

»openmedia.ca/blog/confir ··· ed-world

I am already in the process of checking out the competition. I have moved to another provider for wireless because the new Share Everything plans from Rogers are way overpriced. My wife and son will do the same next month when their 3-year contract is up. One of the reasons we stay with Rogers for other services is because we have unlimited Internet and need to keep our other 3 services in order to keep that. We have however downgraded our Cable to go with Netflix and this is saving us significantly. So yes, I do find it funny that there are Rogers apologists out there (you find many on the Rogers Community Forums) who seem to be so accepting of whatever Rogers decides to do.

You too have a nice day!

damir
CANADA

damir

Do you complain about gas prices going up and down?

Do you use gas to go to work?

I work from home, so, having prices go up or down, its not a concern for me, as this is what bring food to my table.

I have my own reasons, as you have your own.

Do i have to understand yours? Nop
Do you have to understand mine? Nop

You dont like it? No contract! Switch! - simple as that.

There is NO ISP in ONTARIO that can match the pricing of 150 and 250 tier, and having it go up for a $3/mo really doesnt bother me.
(Again, thats my opinion, and my reasons, and that really doesnt have to concern you).

You know whats good for your pocket - as i know what is good for my pocket.

I am having a wonderful day, i hope you have it as well.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

Nope - I am not happy about gas prices, nor natural gas prices, and especially hydro prices under this stinkin' Ontario Liberal government. I already explained to you my reasons for not switching from Rogers - with the exception of Wireless. If you want to like the frequent increases from Rogers, then so be it. If you ask me about whether or not I am happy with them - then once again, the answer is NOPE! The bottom line is that it is the complacency of people like you who accept that "Canada [is] falling so far behind the rest of the industrialized world" that allow Rogers to continually raise their prices - not just once a year, but often 2-3 times per year. "Our high prices are the direct result of the fact that 94% of our broken wireless market is controlled by just three giant Big Telecom conglomerates. Many Canadians have no alternative to the high-cost Big Three."

Did you even bother to read the article?

damir
CANADA

damir

Mr. Hooter, you and me (simply) can't change anything ($$) - even if you and me complained to CRTC (if that is the right place - probably not - i don't know\not sure) about pricing, and other stuff we are seeing in Ontario (or Canada wide) with pricing for Internet\TV\Wireless (etc).

MAYBE - something could be done if majority of people would do the same, but, Canadians simply don't - and that is why they do (Rogers\Cogeco\Bell\Telus etc.), what they do, and they do it - because they can.

Article you provided - i did read it some time ago, but, again, i have no other option but to stick with what i already said.

Thats how it is. Welcome to Canada (Canadian way).
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

Nope - you are right about that Damir. The only thing we can do is vote with our dollars which is why we are moving 3 cell phone plans (one gone already - 2 more next month) from Rogers and staying away from the minimum charge $80 rip-off Share Everything plans. It is why we cut back on cable to a minimum plan because for $7.99 a month, you cannot beat Netflix! (Please do not even mention Shomi - LOL!). We stay with Rogers for their grandfathered $10 unlimited Internet - hence maintaining Cable and Home Phone along with a grandfathered Internet plan. It is not just you who have no other options. It still does not mean that we accept their never ending price increases lying down!

Ever notice too that it is not until the CRTC actually makes a ruling on something that Rogers actually is forced to make changes, but somehow even when forced to comply with the CRTC, it is never to the benefit of the consumer? Just goes to show you how useless the CRTC is in Canada!

damir
CANADA

damir

I do understand your point, but, for my work, 60mbit down and 10 mbit up - simply is not enough.

I used to be with start.ca before Rogers, and they simply couldn't offer 150\15 service (unlimited) for the same\similar or even close price as Rogers. (actually - they were not able to offer unlimited - which i truly need)(We all know the reasons - no need to go into that).

From time to time i visit start's forum (section on DSLR) and i leave a comment, sometimes useful to their customers, sometimes not, but, nobody from start even 'see that' (they answer to the customer on already answered question) any more, as they take it very personal for leaving them, and that is what i don't like.

In my opinion, start.ca is one of the best ISPs out there, and i HOPE that they will be able to offer better speeds for reasonable prices (something close to what i am paying at this time +- $$$) i am 97% positive that i would switch back to them.

As for phone (cell\wireless) plan i have with Rogers - i really can't complain about that as well.
For $55/mo i really do more then i need for my needs (and it has been like that for years now).
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Hooter

to Hooter
The problem in Canada, with Rogers, with everyone offering services is we've become dependent on our data.

Switching cell plans is always a crap shoot, I switched from Telus to Rogers a few years back, at the time Rogers was cheapest, a year later Bell. Odds are if I go look now, Telus. And it's always just rotating. It's a matter of who's cheapest now, not who's "cheapest".
Small providers won't work for me, insufficient coverage (I'm all over Ontario everyday). So I'm stuck with the big 3. Which won't ever be a big 4 cause its such an aggressive market unless verizon makes their way up.
Shaw couldn't even compete, they bought the spectrum to do so, and wanted to do so.. but knew they'd likely get crushed trying to start up, so they sold off their spectrum to Rogers (mind you my bet is that they may have a plan in place to come play anyways, just off of Rogers towers).

Internet hard line is the same, annual Rogers price increases or Bell... your choice.

It's not a question of price (I should say it shouldn't be) it's about Value for that price.

Everyone offers their own value, but it always ends up being the same price in the end.
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

Bell is a rip off for there internet
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to damir

to damir
Well Damir, lets agree to disagree on some things and agree with others. We all make decisions to meet our own needs. I do not need the speeds you need because I do not work from home. I do love the unlimited; it has enabled us to spend a lot less than we used to spend on Cable (the $17.99 cost for Netflix plus unlimited more than offsets the over $50 a month we now save on cable). As for your $55 with Rogers Wireless, can I assume you are not on one of the new Share Everything plans? My new plan at $35 per month gives me everything I did not get with Rogers for about the same price. With Rogers I got nothing but a voice plan! I now get voice, unlimited texting, call display, voicemail and data!

damir
CANADA

damir

Unlimited is a must for me at this time, as i make around 2-3TB of bandwidth monthly with Rogers.

Which company did you go with for a cell? (if its Wind, that provider wouldn't work for me - as their reception is very low around K\W (even some parts of Waterloo - i say Wind, as my Wife is on it, and she is paying $35/mo).

I have some old retention plan, including 2GB of Data, Unlimited Canada (Voice\TXT\Video) and Unlimited World wide TXT and Video.
(As i have a lot of family in Europe, unlimited TXT is very important for me as well - world wide). (+ call display, voice mail)

As for Netflix, i don't pay it, but, i use it.
My brother pays for Netflix, i run OpenVPN\PPTP on my servers so we can stream US content (costs me nothing in the end, really) - 2 streams are enough for us.

As for Shomi - i have to mention it its not that bad.
My kid loves it, lots of cartoons, same as on Netflix, so, why not, at least - as long its free.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

Hooter to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

The problem in Canada, with Rogers, with everyone offering services is we've become dependent on our data.

Small providers won't work for me, insufficient coverage (I'm all over Ontario everyday). So I'm stuck with the big 3.

Internet hard line is the same, annual Rogers price increases or Bell... your choice.

Everyone offers their own value, but it always ends up being the same price in the end.

Agreed on just about everything. There is not much difference on anything offered by the big 3. All companies raise their prices and seemingly at the same time (Collusion anyone?) so I stay with Rogers - Bell would not be any better at all. As for being dependent on data, this is exactly why Rogers gets away with a minimum $80 charge on the new Share Everything plans which they can stick up their kiester. I for one will never be that dependent!

I do question your comment about smaller providers for wireless. I switched to Virgin (your comments are probably valid for companies like Wind), but Virgin uses the Bell Network (every bit as good as Rogers) and are much more reasonable in cost than Rogers!
Hooter

Hooter to damir

to damir
said by damir:

Unlimited is a must for me at this time, as i make around 2-3TB of bandwidth monthly with Rogers.

Which company did you go with for a cell? (if its Wind, that provider wouldn't work for me - as their reception is very low around K\W (even some parts of Waterloo - i say Wind, as my Wife is on it, and she is paying $35/mo).

As for Showmi - i have to mention it its not that bad.
My kid loves it, lots of cartoons, same as on Netflix, so, why not, at least why its free.

We are definitely agreed on unlimited!

As mentioned to cepnot4me, I am now with Virgin. It is the Bell Mobility network, but much better pricing than Rogers or Bell. My research about Wind told me the same thing - poor reception in many areas!

As for Shomi, it is not free for me (but for 30 days) as I do not have the right plans to qualify. That is another thing about Rogers. Despite our 3 services and the amount we spend every month, they are only willing to give these freebies to people who upgrade their plans - no loyalty whatsover! We will stick with Netflix and to hell with Shomi!

damir
CANADA

damir

Virgin, sounds interesting.
Will do some re-search, and maybe switch my wife's phone to Virgin from Wind, if its better, even if its a bit more expensive, i don't mind.

As for Shomi, i can't compare it with Netflix, at least just not yet.
If i was to decide between 2, which to keep and pay for, it would be Netflix for sure (again, at least for now).

A lot of stuff missing from Shomi.
1) Flash has to be gone
2) More content needed
3) Better (other devices) support (TV's, Consoles, etc). *In my opinion, Netflix has it all so far*.
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

how much a month do you pay for internet because i am gonna switch soon an i wanna know

damir
CANADA

damir

I will check the invoice and let you know.

I still have some kid of deal i got for 4 months from Rogers.

Right now i am on 250\20 unlimited plan (i don't pay for the modem, as i purchased it this month) so, minus $12 from their website price.
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

it say the 150\15 not in my area but rogers said it is