spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Raincoast
@206.116.218.x

Raincoast

Anon

[DSL] Telus ST516 modem with Teksavvy

I have a Telus ST516 which has been reflashed with manufacturer (non-Telus) firmware. I currently use it, in bridge mode, with a Telus 6/1 ADSL service.

Is this modem likely to work with the Teksavvy BC 6/1 ADSL plan or will I need to buy a new modem?

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

If it works with Telus, it'll work with Teksavvy. Since it's in bridge mode already, you won't even have to lift a finger.

Raincoast
@206.116.218.x

Raincoast

Anon

Good to know.

I was wondering because the Teksavvy fine print says that Telus modems won't work:
quote:
If you currently own a Telus ADSL modem, it will not work with our services.
I presume what they mean by this is that Telus modems are carrier locked--which is something that a firmware reflash should fix.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

Correct. I've also read that they tend to have problems establishing PPPoE tunnels, but that's not an issue if it's in bridge mode.

Hoser
join:2007-05-31
Maple Ridge

Hoser to Raincoast

to Raincoast
I used a ST516 on Telus here in Maple Ridge for months after moving out here from Ottawa about a year ago. I was told by Teksavvy that it won't work on profiles faster than 6/1, but I don't remember why. I did lots of tinkering with my 516 as I was dealing with a noisy line in Ottawa and found that the v7.4.4.2 firmware worked best for me.

I've moved on to the Zyxel they sell as I needed to replace my router and went for the integrated unit that will be able to handle a speed upgrade that is likely in my future.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

said by Hoser:

I was told by Teksavvy that it won't work on profiles faster than 6/1, but I don't remember why.

It can do 15/1 on Adsl.
Since it can't do Vdsl(15/3), you need a Vdsl modem or gateway.
Lite_Me_Up
join:2008-10-14
v3b

Lite_Me_Up to Hoser

to Hoser
quote:
I used a ST516 on Telus here in Maple Ridge
Is that your thumb?

Hoser
join:2007-05-31
Maple Ridge

Hoser

Ha! Indeed it is... I should have mentioned that earlier... Anybody want a gently used 516?