spc
uniqs
slpaige
join:2002-04-26
Bella Vista, AR

slpaige

[AR] speed issues going through router

Click for full size
I'm experiencing slow speeds (1 or 2 mbit/s) when connection through multiple routers (an older Asus and a new TrendNet AC1900), both hardwired and wireless. If I connect to the modem (SB6141) directly, I'm pulling about 90 mbit/s on my download speed which is what my plan supports. I've done the traditional trouble shooting with different cables, rebooting the hardware, etc...

Would signal levels in my modem ever affect my throughput on a router? I'm at a loss at what the issue might be. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at through my modem, but I'm guessing the signal levels are high on the outbound and not looking so hot on the inbound. I've also seen mention of "uncorrectables", but not sure what that entails.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for trouble shooting, or do I really need to get a tech out to my house?

I've attached a pic of my modem status page as well.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

If you get the speed you are supposed to when connected directly to the modem, then the problem is usually with your router. The TrendNet unit should be able to handle it.

Looking at your signal levels, it may help to get a tech out and clean things up. As high as the levels are coming into the modem, the SNR should be higher and the output power from the modem should be lower.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA

odog to slpaige

Premium Member

to slpaige
What are the specific models of router? Have you made sure they have been updated to the most recent firmware? When wired are you 1000Mbps all the way through? IE, 1000Mbps from computer to router, and then 1000Mbps from router to modem?
slpaige
Bella Vista, AR

slpaige

The new router is the trendnet TEW-818DRU. I tried one last thing and reset everything to default and immediately the speed increased to where I was expecting it to be. Not really sure what that accomplished since the only thing I had changed was the SSID names from their defaults.

I verified with multiple cables that I was connected at 1gbps (hardwired), but for whatever reason that I haven't yet determined, I was only getting 1 or 2mbit/s through the router until I did a hard reset.

I did update to the latest firmware, after which I did the reset, so maybe that fixed a bug that I wasn't aware of.

intel1212
Premium Member
join:2008-01-17
Henderson, NV

intel1212

Premium Member

Router or network issue on your side of modem. Agree with BillAustin, your levels could be more optimized. But, one has nothing to do with the other based on your stated observations.
slpaige
Bella Vista, AR

slpaige

I'm pretty sure I've figured out what the issue isn't, after buying another new router and having the same issues (negear R7000). From my testing, I can reboot a router and have the same 1 or 2mbit speeds (repeatedly). Once I reboot the modem, speeds usually go back up to 60 - 80 mbit/s (100mbit plan) which is about what I'm expecting to see in my area.

Looks like I'll have to wade through the nightmare that is customer support to try and get someone out to check my line, etc...

Anonguy
@68.106.20.x

Anonguy

Anon

said by slpaige:

I'm pretty sure I've figured out what the issue isn't, after buying another new router and having the same issues (negear R7000). From my testing, I can reboot a router and have the same 1 or 2mbit speeds (repeatedly). Once I reboot the modem, speeds usually go back up to 60 - 80 mbit/s (100mbit plan) which is about what I'm expecting to see in my area.

Looks like I'll have to wade through the nightmare that is customer support to try and get someone out to check my line, etc...

Usually a modem reboot will not fix a bad line...

Could you have a bad modem?
slpaige
Bella Vista, AR

slpaige

It tentatively looks like my modem was bad. I had the technicians come out and work on my signal levels (they added some little barrel things and took one off - forget what they are called), but my downstream power levels are typically around 0 and 3, my S/N ratio is around 34 - 37 and upstream power level is around 43 now on all channels.

My old modem also started connecting at 100mbit instead of 1gbit (just since yesterday) which is what leads me to believe it was dying a slow agonizing death.

Overall, I got my signal cleaned up, got a new modem and router and things are looking good so far. Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone.