spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jazneo
join:2014-08-25
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo

I think frontier does Throttled

well thanksgiving tomorrow all sudden i get the fast speed i get with my connection wonder if they jack around the connection when people at work

HappyCust97
@50.46.175.x

HappyCust97

Anon

Yes, Frontier does Throttle in the Seattle (S. Everett) area. If you attempt to reach youtube.com between the hours of 6PM - 9PM, you will notice time that http traffic is being throttled down to the point it's not usable. If you use an anon proxy it works fine.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to jazneo

to jazneo
I know my city has a limit (just the city far as i know). I could download 300GB all in one month at the house I live at then go to a friend's house that's before the DSLAM that i'm going through and he will only pull a half mbps or not anything at all, connection TOTALLY unstable then next month, all works fine.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to HappyCust97

Premium Member

to HappyCust97
said by HappyCust97 :

Yes, Frontier does Throttle in the Seattle (S. Everett) area. If you attempt to reach youtube.com between the hours of 6PM - 9PM, you will notice time that http traffic is being throttled down to the point it's not usable. If you use an anon proxy it works fine.

This is not evidence of throttling, it's evidence of one route being a bottleneck more than the other. When you use an anonymous proxy, your content from the youtube is coming from different CDN servers and apparently from a route that has less traffic.

This combined with it being at a certain time period only (6-9p the most popular time for internet use, especially streaming services such as youtube, netflix, etc) is further evidence of too much traffic and not enough bandwidth on Frontier's part. So yes, Frontier is at fault but not for the reason you think.
ydoucare
join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

ydoucare to jazneo

to jazneo
They throttle in the Lafayette, IN area due to congestion. I've had a 2 Mb ceiling in the evenings for the past 1.5 - 2 months. Full 12 Mb throughout the day until around 4 - 5 PM when it starts to dip, then throttling kicks in around 6 PM. Latency is stable and low, but bandwidth maxes at exactly 2 Mb.

KennyWest
@98.28.97.x

KennyWest

Anon

That's not throttling, that's running out of bandwidth due to the DSLAM running out of bandwidth- which shows DSL is NOT a dedicated connection that has non-shared bandwidth that some like to claim.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by KennyWest :

DSL is NOT a dedicated connection that has non-shared bandwidth that some like to claim.

You're right, that is not the correct claim. The correct claim is that the DSL connection is non-shared from the home to the DSLAM/remote.

Not sure how it is now with CABLE but it used to be, your cable connection was shared directly with your neighbors.
said by KennyWest :

That's not throttling, that's running out of bandwidth

This is also correct and jives with what I posted above.

ISPs typically throttle specific kinds of traffic all the time, not all traffic at a certain time, IF they throttle at all.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

1 recommendation

Hank

Premium Member

Yes, both eventually have a point where they become shared. End result is both can become congested.
ydoucare
join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

ydoucare to KennyWest

to KennyWest
said by KennyWest :

That's not throttling, that's running out of bandwidth due to the DSLAM running out of bandwidth- which shows DSL is NOT a dedicated connection that has non-shared bandwidth that some like to claim.

I've been with congested ISP's for the past 10 years. Congestion does not = solid 1.9-2.0 Mbps for 5 straight hours with zero fluctuation and low latency with no jitter. Congestion = fluctuating bandwidth and high jitter. Don't be naive in believing that ISPs do not traffic shape to control congestion. Most users browsing facebook and twitter won't notice the reduced bandwidth, but they WOULD notice the increased latency without throttling/traffic shaping in place.
Nialis
join:2003-09-24
Franklin, NC

Nialis

Then change ISP's since you know more about how the internet works than the rest of us.
jazneo
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo

i have no choice for internet in my area i only get one choice. or i have to move out and live in the city with no choice just pay for data caps
Nialis
join:2003-09-24
Franklin, NC

Nialis to jazneo

to jazneo
I was actually referring to another poster... But as Hank said the DSLAM/CO is out of bandwidth thus during peak times, usually ~3pm till 2am, the speeds are terrible. Even with a low ping you can still have craptastic speeds. The only real throttling frontier does is sync capping. Meaning if your line to the CO can sync and run at 12mbit and you are syncing at 3mbit so they can squeeze more people in a CO onto a fiber run without upgrading they WILL do it.

Think about it: If Frontier ran 45mbit of fiber to a CO, and you had say 48 ports and EVERYONE was running wide open 12mbit as soon as a handful of people started downloading they would kill everyone else's internet. vs capping everyone at 1.5 or 3mbit they will have far less customers complaining.
jazneo
Hazel Green, WI

jazneo

This why we need Net neutrality back. Isp provider don't want because they don't want there information out steal from costumer to be expose.

Net neutrality was remove when Verizon went to court with USA Government . it was take out because of Verizon and Comcast.

Big company Isp say dont fix something that not was broking is lie they broke Net neutrality this why you see data caps

Davesworld
join:2007-10-30
Thermal, CA

Davesworld to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

and jives

The correct word is jibe which means to agree with or be in alignment with and has roots in nautical language, jive on the other hand refers to jazz and moving with the music.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

You are correct. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Davesworld
join:2007-10-30
Thermal, CA

Davesworld

said by darcilicious:

You are correct. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

You're welcome!

Now as far as the subject at hand, I live in S Everett and I will pay close attention to my speeds in the evening and see if I notice anything.