All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wikkedwicky5
join:2009-04-02

wikkedwicky5

Bell Fibe tv now in kingston ontario

you can now get bell fibe tv in some aera's in kingston,ontairo it is in my aera at lest calling them tomorrow
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by wikkedwicky5:

you can now get bell fibe tv in some aera's in kingston,ontairo it is in my aera at lest calling them tomorrow

Downtown areas? Suburbs? Rural?
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

I thought it's been available in Kingston for a year now... they launched it the same time they started offering it in Barrie and London.
wikkedwicky5
join:2009-04-02

wikkedwicky5

i am near QUECVI just came into my location
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Should be FTTN near there, not ftth.

Fibe hasnt been available all over kingston yet. I visited some friends in kingston in october and expercom was still trenching running conduit down sir John A.
oblender
join:2003-07-31
Toronto, ON

oblender to wikkedwicky5

to wikkedwicky5
Doing a search of an address on Victoria St near union show's FTTH internet with up to 175mbs speeds and fibetv. Areas near Sir John A and Bath rd show no fibe tv or intent at all just dsl

wikkedwickym
@70.50.103.x

wikkedwickym

Anon

where my parents live a few block's from me they can only get 5/1
Dingaan
join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Dingaan to wikkedwicky5

to wikkedwicky5
There have been Bell trucks installing large diameter black cables or conduits with connection boxes at regular intervals on the poles down County Road 6 and West along Bath Rd. Look like it most likely Fibe. This is West of Amherstview.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by Dingaan:

There have been Bell trucks installing large diameter black cables or conduits with connection boxes at regular intervals on the poles down County Road 6 and West along Bath Rd. Look like it most likely Fibe. This is West of Amherstview.

That is great news for those people!

I am surprised they are pushing through the winter... but it might be milder with less frost down there.... or very little underground work needed
btech805
Canada

btech805

Most of the work i have seen Expertevh doing has actually been over the winter for Fibe expansion. It serves two purposes, 1) having Fibe ready for the spring student moving season, and 2) most of Expertech's new development work (ftth wiring of new developments) would be done in the summer when the builders are working so it leaves them free for their busy season as well.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by btech805:

Most of the work i have seen Expertevh doing has actually been over the winter for Fibe expansion. It serves two purposes, 1) having Fibe ready for the spring student moving season, and 2) most of Expertech's new development work (ftth wiring of new developments) would be done in the summer when the builders are working so it leaves them free for their busy season as well.

In other words... bad for me if I don't see techs out wiring up my run! LOL

Maybe this upcoming ice store will mess things up for our lines this year... the ice will hopefully deal with that copper once and for all!
btech805
Canada

btech805

It would have to be a total loss for them to replace copper with FTTH. calabogie lucked out with a microburst a couple of years ago and frim white lake to calabogie lake was all re wired FTTH. Last Christmas though lots of areas in the GTA had copper damage and the copper was simply replaced. The did the same thing in Ottawa over the summer with a particular 900 pair F1 count that was ravaged by some woodpeckers and what can only be described as a commune of squirrels. About $50,000 of copper was installed to replace the old cable.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by btech805:

It would have to be a total loss for them to replace copper with FTTH. calabogie lucked out with a microburst a couple of years ago and frim white lake to calabogie lake was all re wired FTTH. Last Christmas though lots of areas in the GTA had copper damage and the copper was simply replaced. The did the same thing in Ottawa over the summer with a particular 900 pair F1 count that was ravaged by some woodpeckers and what can only be described as a commune of squirrels. About $50,000 of copper was installed to replace the old cable.

LOL... a total loss! One can only hope! It is possible.... We have really big trees here (150 feet plus). A load coil box or two with a tree crashed on it might accelerate the process!

I remember Calabogie and the microburst... and they got lucky. Petawawa had alot of damage too, but nothing substantial to the telecom.

I am told there is a fibre overlay in the works for Petawawa and Pembroke (apparently 3rd party information from Alcon I think).... but it could be years away, or sooner.

Due to my proximity likely my run would be in the works... but I suspect there are easier routes to take in their line upgrades with a little thought, rather than going run by run of the exact same overlay). Extensive re-engineered no doubt, however I would like to beleive that Bell is efficent at their overlays, and seeks to improve!

Crossing under or over Hwy 17 is expensive, and for the amount of houses on my side (now up to 17)... just do a line run from the existing fibre on either side of me.... it requires the addition of poles, but I see alot of rural areas where bell went their own poles for telecom only.

Copper isn't necessarily a bad thing anyways... at least a short run of it... it works. FTTH is awesome, but not always necessary.
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

What about replacing the buried copper... particularly in areas that it doesn't need to be buried anymore? I take it Bell has to pay "pole fees" or something like that if it uses hydro poles?

I seen a alot of areas around me where you can see clear evidence of buried abandoned copper, with brand new Fibre strung above it.

One area I was passing through recently was about 10 km outside Maynooth.... I had to kill some time while the wife fed the kid.... a green copper junction box, torn to shit with copper wires cut right off of it (looking abandoned) at one of the boxes... above, brand new fibre hanging servicing literally the middle of nowhere...

From my drive, this sort of stuff is all along the Hwy 60/28 area, branching off at side roads.

The fibre was hanging off of new poles there, no hydro.

Maynooth has some great internet now too! Lucky them! I don't even think the old bar is open there anymore! LOL

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

There are some sections of Garrison Road in Fort Erie that have underground copper with aerial fibre, but for the most part it's been like for like - underground fibre where the copper was underground, and aerial where it was aerial - *except* for two areas that had aerial copper but had underground fibre installed instead. No idea what the criteria is.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by Gone:

There are some sections of Garrison Road in Fort Erie that have underground copper with aerial fibre, but for the most part it's been like for like - underground fibre where the copper was underground, and aerial where it was aerial - *except* for two areas that had aerial copper but had underground fibre installed instead. No idea what the criteria is.

I was down in Niagara this Xmas as well, but I never made it to Fort Erie.... seen that Cooks Mills was updated, but that was probably for the school (that has since closed down in 2013). Lucky neighbourhood though.

I heard that Port Colborne was getting an update too, but that are is likely fairly simple.... alot of above ground stuff.

There seems to be a patchwork of good, bad, and Ugly in the Niagara area, with my parents place being in the ugly.... they are on wireless, and it sucked really bad... but at least it was unlimited cap.... although you pretty much get nowhere fast with it.

As with me, a few KM away, Cooks Mills has some nice new fibre. Not close enough though it seems.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I didn't see any Bell fibre when I was out in Cooks Mills last month but I didn't look too hard. DSBN doesn't use Bell either, they use NRBN. You would have saw the fibre strung with blue tags for the school rather than orange.

There's quite a bit of new fibre down here. Port Colborne is coming along and they've got most of the city wired up north of Highway 3. Most of it is aerial. Fort Erie is chugging along but not nearly as fast as it's more spread out and there's more underground to deal with. Same with Fenwick and Fonthill. There has also been some sporadic fibre overbuilds in parts of the region that otherwise have FTTN. The north-end of Welland has FTTH, as do parts of central St. Catharines. It's all aerial. And it looks like they may be doing an aerial overbuild along part of Thorold Stone Road in Niagara Falls, too.

I guess we were just at the right place at the right time.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by Gone:

I guess we were just at the right place at the right time.

That is the story for alot of people lucky people. I am envious in alot of ways, but I don't wish anybody bad service....

But Bell is pushing out to places that nobody else is... so I do give them alot of credit. I figure between 5 and 10 years from now, they won't be on copper anywhere... which is unfortunately a LONG time to wait for people like me stuck on the hubs while being surrounded by fibre.

I think Bell has smartened up in the sense that they realize speed and bandwidth should be cheap.... so they can market their media over it. (Crave TV, Fibe TV, etc.). Far more profitable in alot of ways.

It still pisses me off when people are complaining about their 25/10 service and how they should be upgraded though!
said by Gone:

I didn't see any Bell fibre when I was out in Cooks Mills last month but I didn't look too hard. DSBN doesn't use Bell either, they use NRBN. You would have saw the fibre strung with blue tags for the school rather than orange.

Ahh, good information. I have seen blue tags here, but I don't know what they mean here. It was along Lyons Creek Road, at the old Crowland Central school up towards Cooks Mills Park... also along Doans Ridge Road