Search similar:

uniqs

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

4 edits

humanfilth

Shaw internet speed package changes Jan 2015

Shaw in January(?Effective January 6?) is changing the speed with new tiers for new subscribers. Current subscribers will be grandfathered.
Leaked this morning(Dec 16 2014) and Shaw damage control is ongoing.

Reddit threads
Leaker thread
»pay.reddit.com/r/shaw/co ··· ngrades/

Shaw is downgrading the internet packages. 90 dollars/month used to get you 100mbps. Come January it will only be 60mbps. 50mbps for $80 will now be 30mbps. 25mbps for $60 will now be 15mbps. 10mbps for $55 will become 5mbps for $50.

Appears that the fastest upload will be 3mbps

Graph of new tiers and Shaw profits with it.
»pay.reddit.com/r/canada/ ··· t_is_40/

I don't see yet what the GB per month is.

Don't change your service speeds after Dec 31 2014 or you will lose your now grandfathered plan and get knocked down to the new tiers.

Shaw in the media for price increase: Price increase leads to more investment in the network for more capacity.
Shaw behind the scenes: New users get almost half the speed for the same price, to avoid investment in the network for increased capacity.

The Shaw spin on the new packages. It's not a downgrade! It's an upgrade!!!
»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-3963

Beginning in January 2015, we'll be introducing a new lineup of Internet services for new customers. These packages do not affect current customer subscriptions, but existing customers will be welcome to upgrade when the packages are launched.

These new services will introduce faster download speeds and greater value for customers who have our most popular tiers by providing more value per Mbps (Megabits Per Second) download rate.

HS 10 improves to Internet 15
HS 25 improves to Internet 30
BB 50 improves to Internet 60

We’re pleased to be introducing a new entry-level Internet service, Internet 5, which is well suited to customers who use their Internet for simple web browsing and email.

We will be following the launch of these 4 packages with a fifth tier of service (to be available in the near future) for high volume internet users - Internet 120. Details on this premium tier will be made available in the new year.

As always, all of our Internet packages include access to more than 50,000 access points on Shaw Go WiFi across Western Canada.

New Shaw Internet Packages

Package Name

Download Speed
Tier 1 - Internet 5 | 5 Mbps
Tier 2 - Internet 15 | 15 Mbps
Tier 3 - Internet 30 | 30 Mbps
Tier 4- Internet 60 | 60 Mbps

a9
join:2005-04-10

a9

This pushed me over the edge.
Made the change to TekSavvy.

Cheaper.
Unlimited bandwidth.
Better pings/hardware.
No more shaping my torrent traffic.

Good riddance, Shaw.
No to remove my phone and TV.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to humanfilth

to humanfilth
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
said by humanfilth:

We will be following the launch of these 4 packages with a fifth tier of service (to be available in the near future) for high volume internet users - Internet 120. Details on this premium tier will be made available in the new year.

Oh, I can't wait! - for a pitiful ~5mbps upload speed

So glad I ended up getting Telus fibre.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP to humanfilth

to humanfilth
I hate this damned province. I can get screwed by Shaw or get really screwed by MTS ($63 for their top tier in my neighbourhood: 25 Mbps).

No other viable options for anything even remotely approaching high speed internet at an affordable price.

someguy
@96.52.234.x

someguy

Anon

I still have the many year old motorolla modem, not the cisco wifi/router modem. They wanted to "upgrade" me years ago and I said unless they can give me a straight modem (no bridge mode fudging), I didn't want it. Do the old modems handle 30Mbps?
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed to humanfilth

to humanfilth
Seriously WTF is this shit! Roll back of speed tiers.
molfert
join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB

molfert to someguy

to someguy
Nope and they don't handle 25 Mbps well. They only use 1 RF channel.

cpmrich
@71.17.59.x

cpmrich to ErikRP

Anon

to ErikRP
move to sask and get fibre with sasktel upto 260 megs for 139.99 with no limits.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
For those on BB50 are we getting speed upgrade (to 60mbps) to go with our price increase? or are we basically paying a few dollars less for 10mbps less speed than the new packages?

The price increase ($7 in my case) wouldn't hurt so much if I got a speed bump.

humanfilth
river styx

humanfilth

said by zod5000:

For those on BB50 are we getting speed upgrade (to 60mbps) to go with our price increase?

That's were the bitching about this backdoor service change comes in.
Your speed stays the same(grandfathered).
You get the Jan 1 2015 price increase.
If you want BB60(from BB50), you lose your grandfathered plan and I think you pay a few bucks more to get BB60. At the link for the main leak, BB60 might be at the price of the former BB100, if I'm reading that right.

Shaw's version of all this, is the grandfathered users will see these new plans and really want that extra Mbps and will be swarming customer support to 'upgrade', along with the new prices/speeds.

It still is to be seen if Shaw, with the leak, changes the new Tiers and the prices that go with them, when they activate it on Jan 6 2015.
Rather shaky legal issue that Shaw has created(ignoring 30 day notification rules for current users), that they state it only affects new users, but current users will have to change if they modify their service or move.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
The grandfathered thing has always been a sticking point. My package is BB50 + Personal TV. The grandfathered rates have kept it from as much as $15 below current prices to only $5 below current prices now. Either way you end up paying even more if you break the bundle. I'm pretty sure Shaw does that on purpose. If Telus continues to price match their regular prices it keeps long term customers from hopping. I don't Shaw has to tell customers 30 days in advance because they notified of the price increase for the current package. If a customer wants to buy a different service then they pay whatever the cost is for that service.

I agree the price increase sucks. Even staying on bb50 a $7 increase (as on my last bill) is pretty large. 9.3% increase. ugh
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP

What? You don't feel better for paying almost 10% more for the same service? What kind of customer are you?!
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to humanfilth

to humanfilth
well in 2 years my bill has gone from

189.99 to 240(Ive actually dropped 30 worth of theme packs)

What has changed... Nothing just less service for more

SBB250
@209.91.107.x

SBB250 to humanfilth

Anon

to humanfilth
What is happening with BB250 customers?

From BB250 to now... Wow!!!!

humanfilth
river styx

humanfilth

said by SBB250 :

What is happening with BB250 customers?

From BB250 to now... Wow!!!!

Shaw's excuse? Not enough people buying BB250. The Reality? As has been posted around, some of the nodes that Shaw was selling it on could only support 1-5 customers at full 250Mbps. Congestion strikes on the node and the complaints go up while Shaw decides if they want to pull some new fiber backbone to its area.

Example from Shaw's site forum. Telus does have some 'old aDSL' towns where full speed performance is iffy, but $billions being spent to upgrade over time. Of course the big money makers(return on investment) being first.
»community.shaw.ca/messag ··· 72#95472

Got this in the mail today, seems Shaw is losing it's monopoly in my city. I'm not saying I'm cancelling my service with Shaw, but I'm not ruling it out as a possibility.

Time will tell.

»i.imgur.com/Oclfdoe.png (Telus fiber flyer for Powell River)

*Edit: Shaw has only let our city have two packages, high speed 10 and high speed 25. We're subscribed to high speed 25 and get speeds as low as 1.5Mbps with 150ms ping because of Shaw's "nodes". With Telus bringing in packages that are cheaper and more reliable than Shaw's current ones and if Shaw raises their prices/lowers their package speeds I don't see Shaw lasting much longer in my city.

Telus OptikTV can be gotten with no contract(rent or buy TV box). Or can be 3 year contract with bonus gift(subsidized TV) with free TV box rental. New Actiontec gateways, T1200H and T2200H now have port1 bridge mode to be able to use your own router without double NAT.

A comment from one of the leak links. Shaw has become a dinosaur. If you don't have many different things in your portfolio(cable TV and creating Canadian content for TV is a bad risk) you will start making asinine business moves to keep the profits up.
»pay.reddit.com/r/canada/ ··· /cmyri1q

I worked at Shaw for a brief time and it was bizarre.

It was the late 2000s and they were just starting to piece together that focusing their entire business model on cable television might be bad idea.

They've fallen behind all the other competition (Rogers/Telus) and were just throwing money at ill-conceived ideas to catch back up. Like spending millions to start a cellular network from scratch a decade too late (I'm sure you can guess how that panned out). Or Shaw Go Wi-Fi - a costumer only wifi network in limited places with a complicated authentication system - to compete with 3G networks. And don't get me started on the name Shaw Go - did they just look to HBO and say "Yeah, that name is good enough for us too. No reason to think of an original idea when it comes to naming either."

The only thing of value they have is their physical cable infrastructure because they never branched out like everyone else in their industry did. So to keep their record profits they have to gouge consumers as much as possible.

58391701 (banned)
join:2014-06-30
New Westminster, BC
Actiontec T1200H
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear R7000

58391701 (banned)

im just exited for the internet 120

"We will be following the launch of these 4 packages with a fifth tier of service (to be available in the near future) for high volume internet users - Internet 120. Details on this premium tier will be made available in the new year."

humanfilth
river styx

humanfilth

said by 58391701:

BB120 was apparently an "add-on" sometime after the leak. Still to be seen how much Shaw now tweaks things.

»pay.reddit.com/r/shaw/co ··· /cmwqxs5

7 hours ago there was no 120mbps package. The internal email sent to Shaw reps said the new maximum speed package would be 60mbps. This backlash however has at least caused them to make that small change to their plans.

So if BB60 might be $90, some estimate that BB120 could be around $130-$140. We'll know for sure Jan 6 2015(or later, now). Those poor Reps, if they only get the new plans on the day of release, to avoid leaks again.

An article on Shaw Executive pay/bonus/retirement
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 2131074/
58391701 (banned)
join:2014-06-30
New Westminster, BC
Actiontec T1200H
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear R7000

58391701 (banned)

well, im still only paying $85 for my BB100

my bb100 will be going to $94/m rather then $99. and i have already received a $10 credit for the first month of price increases.

social engineering ftw...

just praying they increase the upload on the 120. plz shaw, dont let me down

humanfilth
river styx

1 edit

humanfilth

CBC says Shaw to reveal new rates/plans on Monday Dec 22 2014. Hopefully that includes the new stuff and not just the rate increase for the old.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· .2879489
Dec 19, 2014

Shaw says it plans to release details of all the new package rates on Monday.

RL_1969
@70.79.150.x

RL_1969 to zod5000

Anon

to zod5000
I hate their grandfathered thing as well. I just find out that I pay $60 for a ~7M dl / ~0.5M ul plan. Shaw banks on the customers' laziness.
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed to 58391701

to 58391701
said by 58391701:

No offence, you must be a new customer thinking it's a god send for internet 120. What pisses me off is I'm on UBB250 for like 2 years now, and in 2 years all Shaw can do to upgrade it's tiers and bandwidth is to pull BB250/UBB250 from it's offerings, cancel phase2 roll outs, then promptly add UBB25 and UBB50 to the line up at double the price of the old UBB250.

Currently I'm paying the same price for my Unlimited 250mbps as a new customer is paying for Unlimited 25mpbs, Wow is Shaw really gouging. How are they bettering their service for consumers with upgrades and speed increases to tiers?

Then they pull this latest Bull shit, rolling back speed tiers yet again with price increases and I'm sure selling their new Internet 120 offering at some absurd price as well, when the rest of North America is pushing out 1gbps offerings to it's customers at very fair prices.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to humanfilth

to humanfilth
That is amazing. I feel for you Canadians. I continue to be impressed with how your Internet service providers are able to come up with inventive new ways to screw you over. I don't think I have ever heard of an ISP actually decreasing its speeds! It seems like this is such a malicious anti-consumer behavior that it should be criminal. How is this not illegal?
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

I'm still not convince they were trying to lower speeds. They removed their fastest tier (100mbps). All the other packages they raised the speeds, but they also jacked up the prices. So people are comparing their old plan/prices to the new ones, and realize that on their old price they would now get slower speeds.

Not only is shaw gouging but they rolled this out in complete moronic fashion. If they wanted to gouge but get less resistence they do the two things seperately. Raise the price, wait a few months and give everyone a speed bump... or.. give everyone a speed bump then raise the prices in a few months.

Doing them both at the same time is messy and moronic.

Either way it's just about time to try teksavvy... They only do DSL here but 25mpbs unlimited is better than price gouged bb50 to me.

humanfilth
river styx

4 edits

humanfilth

Shaw price increase is online to coincide with the Jan 1 2015 increase. Still to seen what the new packages will be with all the WTF.

high speed 10 = $59 ~$25 for 6 months
high speed 25 = $67 ~$30 for 6 months
broadband 50 = $85
broadband 100 = $99

I read that some think that canceling your 'Free' Shomi will cause you to lose your current grandfathered package(with whatever happening Jan 6 2015). Anyone confirm? That would be with having all your services bundled together.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by humanfilth:

I read that some think that canceling your 'Free' Shomi will cause you to lose your current grandfathered package(with whatever happening Jan 6 2015). Anyone confirm? That would be with having all your services bundled together.

I've wondered this about my best of hd package. I'm still grandfathered at $20/month on it. If you look at my bill bb50+personal tv is billed together and best of hd is a seperate entry. It's becoming moot as I get the feeling I'll bail on shaw as soon as a find a new place, but I did wonder if I would lose my best of HD deal if I broke up my bundle. My gut instinct is that it's billed as an add item and not part of the bundle, so it shouldn't impact the bundle.

Zac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB

Zac

Premium Member

You can change your TV package, and they should not be modifying that Grandfathered Best of HD package, just so long as you don't go to Premier TV, you can definitely break up the rest and change your internet speeds around. Just be clear that you wish to keep Best of HD as-is and it shouldn't be changed.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by Zac:

You can change your TV package, and they should not be modifying that Grandfathered Best of HD package, just so long as you don't go to Premier TV, you can definitely break up the rest and change your internet speeds around. Just be clear that you wish to keep Best of HD as-is and it shouldn't be changed.

Thanks. It's pretty moot at this point as I'm house shopping and rather than pay Shaw's costs to move service i'm going to use it as an opportunity to ditch Shaw and go internet only. Thus I won't mess around with my packages before I do that.

I was checking out lightspeed. They seem to offer DSL services here. Even 50mbps which Teksavvy doesn't. They have unlimited 25mbps for 44.95 + $5 add-on for unlimited + 4.95 for network access fee (which I assumed is the dryloop fee). $55/month for unlimited 25mbps internet. I could live with that. That would be 61.60 a month (after tax). That would save me $100/month from my current tv/bb50 bill.

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to humanfilth

Premium Member

to humanfilth
Glad i switched to telus.....

fan13027
join:2008-10-26
Kelowna, BC

fan13027 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
said by humanfilth:

CBC says Shaw to reveal new rates/plans on Monday Dec 22 2014.

Anybody know (or have a link) if this has been done. Shaw's online store still shows the old internet plans 10/25/50/100.

Coincidentally I placed an order online for HS25 for installation on Jan 15th (literally about a half hour before I discovered this thread). Now I wonder what the heck I'm actually going to get come installation time and what the heck I'm going to pay for it. At any rate, I'm getting the new customer discount for the first six months so regardless of what I actually get (unless it the new 15) I will stick it out until things settle down and I see what's what. After that, if I'm not happy, I will probably move to Telus Fibre which should be available in my building in another month or two.