spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ARCraccoon
join:2013-07-24
Malvern, AR

ARCraccoon

Not satisfied at all

I just recently changed from Dish to SL and save quite a bit of money but I am beginning to wonder if it was worth it. I had the Hopper with 2 Joeys and NEVER had a problem with service or connection but when I changed to the Tivo service, I have had nothing but problems. Does SL have another DVR or am I stuck with the Tivo crap?

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

1 recommendation

moldypickle

Premium Member

You are free to purchase any DVR solution you wish and install cable cards in them. SL also carries the basic single tv DVR for $16/month (depending on market).

What exactly does "problems" mean though? I mean if all you wanted to know was if SL carries other dvrs, I'd think you probably would have called in to customer service already.
ARCraccoon
join:2013-07-24
Malvern, AR

ARCraccoon

The problems I have is I have to reset the main DVR at least twice a week along with freezing and heavy pixelation. Both minis will randomly shut off and come back on and its all really starting to become a headache.

I have called support, several times already and had to wait around 30-45 mins each time to talk to someone. I have even gone to my local office and they were no help either. The office workers tell me that they will have someone contact me and it never happens. Thinking about cutting it all off and just going full internet. grrrr
Nyron
join:2007-10-09
Charleston, WV

Nyron to ARCraccoon

to ARCraccoon
I was a very early adopter of Tivo, I think I purchased the first model and loved it. Years later I tried the Suddenlink HD DVR (I think it was SA model) and hated it. When they announced the partnership with Tivo, I immediately got one when it came to my area. Disappointment is an understatement. The SL Tivo was laggy and slow. It also would suddenly reset for no reason. I had heard similar complaints from the 5th generation (I could be wrong on that number) as they initially shipped early and didn't even have both processors turned on.

I am not sure what happened, but I hated the SL Tivo. I wouldn't even use the apps or guide as it was just too frustrating. However, from the reviews I have read on Tivo's Roamio, most people like it. That may be an option--although it would cost around 150.00 to purchase plus the monthly subscription cost.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but having the SL branding on the TiVo, it's likely that SL is responsible for modifying and pushing new firmware builds out to the devices,,,, much like stock cellphones from att/verizon.

Contact Pete Abel here on the forums before returning the devices and give him a chance to make it right.
Mellified
Premium Member
join:2014-12-01
San Marcos, TX

Mellified to Nyron

Premium Member

to Nyron
said by Nyron:

The SL Tivo was laggy and slow. It also would suddenly reset for no reason.

I purchased two of the Tivo Premiere units from Tivo that Suddenlink uses. The problems you describe were largely Tivo software issues. It was easily the worst time to be a Tivo user. Fortunately they have improved the reliability and performance significantly. I am very pleased with the Tivo Premiere units now.

I don't know what Suddenlink may or may not have done with theirs though.