uniqs
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings

Premium Member

Basic Installation Question

This question is super basic but it's outside of my experience as I don't own a PVR:

My elderly father has a Rogers supplied PVR. I've convinced him to get Rogers Internet so he can watch Netflix. Do I need to buy a cable splitter or does the coax normally go into the PVR first and then out of the PVR and into the cable modem/router?

Thanks!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

When the ch comes to do the internet install he will likely install a splitter as long as the signal levels are good.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to ings

to ings
You will need a splitter. If you choose self install, some Rogers stores carry Rogers approved splitters and will give them out for free.

Otherwise if you opt for a technician to come to the home to install it, they will supply and install the splitter for free.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

If you are getting Rogers internet just to watch Netflix that can be an expensive proposition. You will probably need to pay over $70 per month, assuming that he is going to watch a couple of hours of Netflix per day. And if he gets Hybrid 60 or better he also gets shomi until at least next March.
ings
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

ings

Premium Member

said by wayner92:

If you are getting Rogers internet just to watch Netflix that can be an expensive proposition.

You bet! Not cheap. The original motivation was that he's got a cellular iPad, but he's in a Bell cellular dead zone in Ottawa, so performance is pretty awful, and I'd like to fix this for him by putting him on Rogers Internet/WiFi. Netflix is then just icing on the cake.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

But you don't want to be watching Netflix over a cell connection.

And don't forget to size the monthly data appropriately. My kids watch a fair bit of Netflix and Amazon Video (thanks to Unblockus) and we average about 300GB /month.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to ings

to ings
Based on this.
said by ings:

Do I need to buy a cable splitter or does the coax normally go into the PVR first and then out of the PVR and into the cable modem/router?

Do yourself a favor and get a tech to install the modem.
No offense, but you may not be enough aware of this type of work to make sure the service is installed correctly.
ings
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

4 edits

ings

Premium Member

said by cepnot4me:

No offense

None taken however I do have related networking experience. I am clueless however on the optimal coax signal path as I cut the cord years ago and have never owned a PVR. That said, I think your advice is sound.