uniqs
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar

Premium Member

[Embarq] Modem: Actiontec C2000A vs Cisco DDR2200

Hey, guys... CenturyLink advised me earlier today that I can now get a bonded 20Mb/s ADSL2 connection for less than I've been paying for 10Mb/s. I told them I'm interested, but when it came to modem selection, they gave me a choice between the Actiontec C2000A and the Cisco DDR2200. Not knowing anything about either of them, I chose the Cisco device only because I was familiar with that brand, whereas I know nothing about Actiontec.

Should I have gone for the other brand? If so, I'll call them back and switch to the Actiontec device before they come out to upgrade my connection.

I've heard good things about the Technicolor C2000T modem, but that wasn't one of my options, unfortunately.

Thanks to anyone that can offer up any tips on the matter.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Unless they are shipping you the modem, it doesn't really matter what you choose. You will get whatever the tech has on his truck at installation time.

I would probably choose the Actiontec over the Cisco. The DDR2200 was the original device Embarq used when they began offering Bonded ADSL service.
cgreene
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14
Roanoke Rapids, NC

cgreene to ozar

Premium Member

to ozar
This router is G only wireless
brugar
join:2002-09-16
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

brugar to ozar

to ozar
I agree with billaustin: I would choose the Adaptec C2000A modem instead of the Cisco modem.

The Cisco DDR2200 is no longer manufactured. It does not support IPv6. There have not been any recent firmware updates.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

Thanks to each of you for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

I had no idea the Cisco modem was manufactured so long ago and no longer manufactured, so I'll try to get the Actiontec modem which seems to be more current in pretty much every way. I was truly concerned during my teleconference with the CenturyLink sales guy that he was trying to rent or sell me a modem, yet he was unable to tell me anything about either modem until after he checked with someone else to see what my options were. Even then he was only to give me the modem brand and model number. I might end up declining their modem altogether and buy my own.

Thanks again, to all.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to ozar

to ozar
Or better yet, let's see if they bring you a Technicolor C2000T, that's been by far the best CL modem i've ever had (and i've had the C2000A)

The wireless on it works great, it's rock solid, and gets semi regular firmware updates.
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

I'd love it if that were to happen! Crossing my fingers, hoping for good luck...

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

That Cisco is only ADSL not VDSL, doesn't have gigabit ports, it is just old. »internethelp.centurylink ··· 2200.pdf
ozar
Premium Member
USA

ozar

Premium Member

Yeah, if they show up with the Cisco device, I plan to decline it. The thing I'm concerned about though is that they will still try to charge me $99 for a modem that I don't have. Hopefully, the tech will sign something saying he/she didn't leave the modem with me. I'll be calling CenturyLink the first thing Monday morning to try to get this error in modem selection corrected.

I've thought about it over and over, and it still seems to me that the CenturyLink sales person should know at least a few details about what they are selling the consumer. This guy that worked with me didn't even know what brand of modem he was selling until he placed me on hold so he could ask someone else there at CenturyLink. That's when he came back with the two options above.
ozar

ozar

Premium Member

Guess I lucked out... the technician showed up today with the Technicolor C2000T, and he had it all working at full speed within about 10 minutes.

Is there any place the full user manual can be downloaded for this device? I've seen the help links for it on CenturyLink's Support pages, but would prefer to have the full manual on hand, and all in one file, if it's available.

Thanks.