uniqs

ttiiggy
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

DSL disconnects if I have Voicemails

I have POTS telephone service with CenturyLink, formerly Qwest.
On the same line I have DSL through an Actiontec Q1000 modem/router with proper splitters.

About once a week or so, usually first thing in the morning is when I notice it, the internet won't work.
I pick up a telephone and listen to the stutter of the dial tone indicating that I have unheard messages and then it smooths out to regular dial tone. I don't even listen to the messages. I hang up the telephone and then the broadband connects and then the ISP connects.

I don't use the land line much and my message says that I don't check messages very often. I don't really need the voicemail, it was just on the line when they turned it on. I am probably paying for it too. I would really rather plug my answering machine back in so that I can listen as messages get left and answer if I want.

I get messages left on the voicemail and it makes the dial tone do the stutter for a few seconds when I first pick up the phone.
Is this really what makes the DSL disconnect?
Is this normal? What is there that I can do about it?
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

Getting voicemail or any phone use at all doesn't have anything to do with DSL. DSL tends to fail on it's own, it doesn't need any help. You probably have an intermittent line or weak signal due to being too far from the central office. Can you check the modem stats and let us know what the readings are?
TipsyPickle
join:2014-08-01

TipsyPickle to ttiiggy

to ttiiggy
That sounds like a filter/splitter is bad. Under normal circumstances, if you pick up your phone and have no filters installed it will kill your DSL. The Filters allow everything to work simultaneously, but if a filter is bad then everything will break.

If you can get it done, I would recommend having a technician install a filter in your NID (outside box) and run a dedicated line to your DSL modem. That will almost guarantee you won't have anymore issues like this in the future.

ttiiggy
Premium Member
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

said by ArizonaSteve:

check the modem stats and let us know what the readings are

Which stats? Which ones are relevant?

said by TipsyPickle:

That sounds like a filter/splitter is bad.
I would recommend having a technician install a filter in your NID (outside box) and run a dedicated line to your DSL modem.

Already there.
Maybe the splitter is bad.
Just seems weird that it only disconnects if there are voicemails.
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

I've had a similar problem. I have even worse SNR 6-8 dB both upstream and downstream so am on the ragged edge of ADSL. Any extra noise on the line can make my internet connection drop.

Voicemail isn't directly involved, but sometimes when the far end of a phone connection disconnects (which would always be the case if a voicemail had been left) that disconnection makes my internet connection drop. For some reason a far-end disconnect causes more noise on the line than if we hang up first.

I suspect there could also be more noise if the voicemail function is provided locally by your phone rather than remotely by your phone provider. If local, maybe there is a burst of noise when the recording ends.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to ttiiggy

to ttiiggy
Hello!
I'd like to run some tests on your line to see if I can better understand why this would be happening. Please send the account information and a link to this page here: »bit.ly/TTUfb or TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Thanks!
^Doug
CenturyLink Help Team

ttiiggy
Premium Member
Bozeman, MT

ttiiggy

Premium Member

I did call ~a week ago and had them turn off voicemail.
DSL is still disconnecting. ...this morning even as I was using it.
I just pick up the phone and listen to dial tone for a few seconds and the router connects and is usually fine for another day.
I sent info to FB page.
Donat76
join:2003-01-26
Oelwein, IA

Donat76 to ttiiggy

to ttiiggy
Please check out this link. Sounds like a high open problem.

»AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »DSL works only with phone off-hook, known as High Open

Partial quote. Please see link for full explanation and solution.

"Lines exposed to air can either oxidize slightly or sometimes corrode heavily depending on conditions. This deterioration at splice points in copper phone cable can cause this "high open" condition. The bad junction creates high resistance, effectively creating an "open" in the line, and DSL signals might fail to cross it, or be weakened by the attempt. When a phone is picked up current begins to flow and the resistance drops during the call. If its just a light case of oxidation you may not notice any change in sound quality. A bad case of corrosion might cause audible clicks, pops, and static on a voice call."

Centurylink TalkToUs
»www.facebook.com/Century ··· 84141650

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to ttiiggy

MVM

to ttiiggy
Yep. Sounds like a dirty open. Time for a truck roll.
bones200
Premium Member
join:2008-07-11
Randleman, NC

bones200 to ttiiggy

Premium Member

to ttiiggy
Not sure if it has been covered. I had to install a dedicated DSL line in my house. No more issues with that after.
Sometimes when I received a call it would do that. Easy to do if you have more than 2 phone outlets in house.