uniqs

steveriley
Premium Member
join:2014-12-07
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

[Speed] No speed increase after reboot on December 16

Starting a new thread at request of mod...

Seattle Comcast customer here. My December bill clearly indicates that my Extreme 105 service should be upgraded to Extreme 150 on December 16:

However, I'm seeing evidence that it isn't working here. I rebooted twice on the 16th and once on the 17th. According to Comcast's speed test, I'm stuck in the 80-85 mbps range:

Throughput is consistently in this range, no matter what time of day I check. Oddly, shaperprobe shows a very different number:
steve@t520:~/downloads/shaperprobe$ ./prober
DiffProbe release. January 2012.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.107.216.19.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 24549 Kbps.
Downstream: 147387 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 24080 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 133616 Kbps.

I have an Arris TM822G modem. There is no evidence in the logs of a new configuration file. Any hints? Or should I -- shudder the thought -- disturb their support department with an actual support call?

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

[Speed] Re: No speed increase after reboot on December 16

Tried rebooting with the reset button?

Tried rebooting with reset button and battery removed?

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

Hm, didn't know there was a reset button on that thing. And unless the status page is wrong, I don't have a battery:

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

Click for full size
Manual shows a reset button.

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

Alright, I'll try that later, once my kids are off their PCs.

The description implies that pressing the button and power cycling are the same thing, though. Maybe they actually aren't.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to steveriley

Premium Member

to steveriley
What kind of router do you have? does it support 150Mbps on the backplane?

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

Cisco RV220W. WAN-to-LAN throughput is 720 Mbps according to SmallNetBuilder (»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· &start=3).

All switches and NICs in the house are gigabit Ethernet.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

Connect your PC directly to your modem and check.

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
Just wanted to add that after the upgrade I rebooted modem and speed test showed new speed but downloads did not.

I then rebooted router and download speeds were at the new speeds.

So try rebooting router as well as modem.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to steveriley

Premium Member

to steveriley
said by steveriley:

Alright, I'll try that later, once my kids are off their PCs.

The description implies that pressing the button and power cycling are the same thing, though. Maybe they actually aren't.

It's not an actual button...there's a hole that you have to stick a pen or something in to reset the modem.

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

Unfortunately, neither test showed any improvement. So I guess it's time to call tech support.

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL

cHarley

Did you follow the recommendation above that said, " Connect your PC directly to your modem and check."

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

said by cHarley:

Did you follow the recommendation above that said, " Connect your PC directly to your modem and check."

Yes. When I wrote "neither test," that included both using a paperclip to press the button inside the reset hole and using a computer directly attached to the modem.

cHarley
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley

Just wanted to make sure. There seems to be a large number of people here lately that don't understand that at speeds above 50Mbps, getting full speed (100+Mbps) over WiFi is more an exception than the rule.

I would call for a truck roll. Your posted DL speed of 80-85 Mbps is ~30% lower than what you should be seeing, even on the 105 tier.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to steveriley

to steveriley
said by steveriley:

said by cHarley:

Yes. When I wrote "neither test," that included both using a paperclip to press the button inside the reset hole and using a computer directly attached to the modem.

Uh, um, the directions above require use of a non-metallic object to reset the modem using the reset button. I hope you didn't damage the modem.

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

said by cHarley:

getting full speed (100+Mbps) over WiFi is more an exception than the rule.

Desktops, laptops, game consoles, and streaming devices in my house connect via Ethernet. Wireless is only for phones and tablets.
said by Streetlight:

the directions above require use of a non-metallic object to reset the modem

Whoops! Old habits, I guess... using a paperclip for similar kinds of reset buttons. The modem is working fine, so apparently I escaped any kind of potential damage.
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79 to cHarley

Premium Member

to cHarley
said by cHarley:

Just wanted to make sure. There seems to be a large number of people here lately that don't understand that at speeds above 50Mbps, getting full speed (100+Mbps) over WiFi is more an exception than the rule.

I would call for a truck roll. Your posted DL speed of 80-85 Mbps is ~30% lower than what you should be seeing, even on the 105 tier.

I'm kind of finding the first out .

BTW - whenever I've changed speeds with Comcast (most recently a month or two ago) - it seems to me like someone at Comcast had to throw some kind of "internal switch" to make the change. Done at the office end - not in the field. I'd probably try a phone call first before a service call.

Also - I'm curious whether the OP ever did speed tests before his/her most recent enhancement? Most casual users (like me) can't notice much difference between 120 mbps and 85. And there are lots of things that can affect connections (in my case - in recent years - my neighbor's lawn service nicked our cable in multiple places - fire ants built a nest in our curbside cable box and nibbled on the connections - silly stuff like that - note that the lizards that live in the box right outside our house don't seem to bother anything). FWIW - the CC service guys who came out to troubleshoot these things said they see the problems we had all the time (they may not be rocket scientists - but they know how to handle a 2 foot tall fire ant nest in a cable box!!!). Robyn

Devious
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

said by Robyn79:

whenever I've changed speeds with Comcast (most recently a month or two ago) - it seems to me like someone at Comcast had to throw some kind of "internal switch" to make the change.

Speeds are determined by the boot/config file sent to the modem.

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley to Robyn79

Premium Member

to Robyn79
said by Robyn79:

I'm curious whether the OP ever did speed tests before his/her most recent enhancement? Most casual users (like me) can't notice much difference between 120 mbps and 85.

Yep, before the enhancement I was routinely getting 95-100 Mbps. So the drop in speed that occurred after rebooting my modem on the 16th is really weird.

There are four people, eight computers, two game consoles, one media streamer, six tablets, and four phones using the Internet connection in my house. Moar speed is always noticeable

cHarley
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley

said by steveriley:

Yep, before the enhancement I was routinely getting 95-100 Mbps.

And that is what makes me suspicious.
Given that CC appears to be over-provisioning the tiers by close to 20%, your DL speed on the (old) 105 tier should have been close to 120Mbps, not 95-100.

steveriley
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

steveriley

Premium Member

Problem solved. I replaced the admittedly wonky short piece of coax connecting my modem to the outlet and voila: