spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xlom
join:2015-01-20
Milton, MA

xlom

Terrible Peak Hour Speeds in Milton, MA

I get the same thing here in Milton, MA during the hours of 7 until around 11 or midnight. RCN has sent out 6 techs in the span of as many weeks to try and correct the problem. The poor tech who was here tonight for the 4th time personally finally threw his hands up and said, I have no idea what's going on, the network seems bogged down. This was after they replaced the outside drop, the line in the house and the modem itself. At nights, the best we can get is 15-20Mbps out of our 110. The second someone loads netflix, it drops to around 4.

Encoded Mac: 8a69ea730e05dc247246d63c63bf14b606f09f0b
Area: Boston (Milton)

[Split from »[Speed] Terrible Peak Hour Speeds in Chicago . /sash]
xlom

xlom

This is about what it's running at tonight. It hung around 5Mb/s for a long time before jumping up to 10 in a spike. On the line with customer service, they say only 71 people are on this node so it shouldn't be overload.

It seems to be having a sustainability issue is my best guess? I did a few tests, It keeps spiking between decent speeds and 4Mb/s. Playing any game is met with horrible lag, then a minute where it's playable and then back into horrible lag again. I had to unplug my airave and call back on a regular tower because every other word was skipping in an out.

Last tech that was out was concerned about the upstream light on the modem staying yellow.

Not sure what else to do.
xlom

xlom

Getting progressively worse tonight. Don't guess i'll get to do anything online this evening.
xlom

xlom

Okay RCN, it's been 3 months of this now. I'm paying a lot of money for early 2000's internet. This doesn't split well between 4 roommates at all. I got my hopes up last night when the internet went out and was told it was due to them working on network noise. But apparently they didn't fix anything... Guess I'm going to have to call the other ISP that services this area tomorrow...
stone cat
join:2010-05-15
Brighton, MA

stone cat

Are you using wifi? Have you checked to see if you are getting interference from neighbors, etc... Try changing channel.