spc
Search similar:

uniqs
deltad3
join:2002-12-26
Mitchell, SD

deltad3

[Exede] Exede question

So I've had Exede for a couple years. Overall I am happy with it, the speeds are great most of the time and about the only thing I'm not satisfied with is the FAP. Recently I have been made aware that due to a new tower in my very close proximity, I can now get a wireless signal.

My question is this: the plan they tell me most people go with has speeds of Up to 2Mb down/512k up.

I have friends that have it and they say they are very happy with it and are able to utilize Netflix, etc....and that there is no buffering when downloading a movie. There is also NO download limit, which is very attractive to me, I'd like to be able to use the features of my "smart tv"

The friend did a speed test on her wireless signal and it said her download speed is 1.65 Mbps, upload speed is .057 Mbps and ping is 15 ms.

My speed test with Exede is 19.15 Mbps down, and 2.80 Mbps upload, ping is 671 ms.

I don't know a lot about this, but how is it possible that they can download movies at that speed, and be happy overall with that download speed? Does it have anything to do with Ping?

I am scheduled to have it installed on Friday, and of course will not be disconnecting my Exede until I see for myself how the service is.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks!
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by deltad3:

friend...15 ms.

That latency value is good for first person games, and VPN tunneling; for watching video/movies, its not relevant.

I am scheduled to have it installed on Friday

I assume this new tower is related to a WISP. It all depends upon how many people come onboard, their usage patterns, and how big of a pipe this WISP has.

Where I work, there is a WISP hookup, and the next level plan had to be bought to watch higher resolution video.

If everybody watched Netflix at the same time on a WISP, chances are, it would buffer for all.

Hence, YMMV...it all depends...
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to deltad3

to deltad3
said by deltad3:

are able to utilize Netflix, etc....and that there is no buffering when downloading a movie.

Netflix video will reduce video quality on slower connections; also, there is a manual way to always configure it to run at a slower speed to avoid buffering. Here is a good article to read:

Crappy Netflix Playback? Here’s How to Test Your Streaming Speed

the plan they tell me most people go with has speeds of Up to 2Mb down/512k up.

360p videos should be watchable, but from 480p and upto a full HD, like this video below, they will be buffered.

Note: Click on HD symbol to see it in SD

vimeo.com/115755539
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to deltad3

Premium Member

to deltad3
In my market there are no fewer than 5 WISPs
One is very high quality with speeds rivaling cable (& most expensive)
Another is nearly as high quality with half the speed (about 8meg)
Rest of them are only better than Exede if latency or DAP is an issue.
One of them is awful in evenings.

There is a large national WISP based in Florida that partners with many electric coops across the country & they are the current dominate WISP in a wide area around here.
They have several markets they have over sold in and subs are suffering for months now.

I am bringing an awful lot of them back to satellite/Exede - especially when they are in my Freedom beam.

There is no one size fits all answer to whether it is good idea to hitch up with a WISP
akorhel
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
Sahuarita, AZ

2 edits

akorhel

Premium Member

deleted

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp to deltad3

to deltad3
... and of course will not be disconnecting my Exede until ...

You already have the BEST idea there is!

I have Clear Wimax 2mbps at 50ms latency for my alarm system.

I also have Comcast 30mbps because HD video is what I want.

For me it came down to bandwidth. I often find myself zoning off, sitting, staring at the ever changing desktop wallpaper. While my files download in the background. My browser tends to wait for me, more than I wait for it. Once a web page loads, I end up reading it for a while before clicking on the next link. I do like it when my large file finishes downloading!

That said, if it were me that is, I'd be happer with Exede than your friends lower bandwidth wisp.

15ms for wireless is questionable, so run your own test

(I can't get 15ms even on comcast wired to the modem)