uniqs

msanta
ATT U-verse
join:2005-05-30
Pompano Beach, FL

1 edit

msanta

Best dual band router recommendation

What's the best dual band router I can buy to be used as an access point to replace the Quantum router wireless feature. The range is not that great, I have 12 wireless devices, four iPads, iPhones and laptops. I have 300/300 and I don't even get 90mbps with the wifi. Wired I am fine it's the wifi, I can't find a decent wireless router that can give me at least half of what I am getting wired. I had a Netgear wndr4500 but it wasn't giving me what I really wanted.

mansplainer
join:2001-11-01
Charleston, SC

mansplainer

Check out this ASUS router, I think I am going with that ...

»www.cnet.com/products/as ··· -router/
zifnab966
join:2014-06-18
united state

zifnab966 to msanta

to msanta
I made the jump to an enterprise level access point and picked up a Ubiquiti Unifi AP-Pro. 2x2 MIMO on 5ghz, 300mbps throughput, $200 on Amazon. I had to install controller software on a pc, but it doesn't need to be running in order for the thing to work, just for setup. It's been fantastic.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to msanta

to msanta
Hi,
Another option, you could try one or even 2 of these "Network Extenders" for the same cost or less than a top of the line AC router
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products
They are dual band and rated to 300 N speeds. Easy to setup.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta to mansplainer

to mansplainer
I was looking at that one in particular but the only thing that I don't like is that I haven't heard of this brand of routers. Most of my devices are Apple and I don't know how this particular brand deals with Macs and iPhones, etc...

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

FWIW, msanta, I have Macs and use the ASUS RT-AC66U router. It works very well with Apple products.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

I was looking at Linksys EA9200, it has a lot of features and has a good range.
msanta

msanta to mansplainer

to mansplainer
Thanks, I think I will go with ASUS

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to msanta

Premium Member

to msanta
I love my Asus RT-AC66U. One of the best routers I have ever owned.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to msanta

to msanta
Since you already have Apple devices, why not an Airport Extreme? I don't know if it's the "best" but mine works flawlessly and is a breeze to setup if you have an iPhone or iPad.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

My issue is that I have a 300/300 Mbps speed and I can't find a router that can give me at least half of the speed I get with my ethernet connection. Hopefully one of these high end routers can give me what I am looking for.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

The ONLY way you're going to get those speeds over wifi is to have AC on both your client and the AP end. Good luck with that. If I need to transfer something very large to my server, I temporarily just plug my laptop into ethernet, or else I wait the longer time it takes it to transfer over wifi.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

I don't expect to get the same numbers I get with ethernet but at least half, and The range of my Quantum Gateway is not that great with iPhones and iPads. The laptops are a little better, for the price I am paying I want to be able to get as much as I can with a decent wireless router.
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok to msanta

to msanta
The Airport Extreme has AC, 1 Gbps Ethernet and is dual band. One of my devices is an HP Elitebook G1 with an Intel AC WIFI card and the connection indicates about 800-900 Mbps to he AP. I have 150/150 WAN and Speedtest shows full bandwidth and more with the standard FIOS "fluff" over the WIFI connection. But, if you want to support multiple devices at that bandwidth or if you want to use Power over Ethernet to power it, you will probably need an enterprise grade Access Point like EnGenius, Cisco etc.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to msanta

to msanta
I always recommend checking out reviews of routers on the various review sites like CNET or PCMag or PCWorld or smallnetbuilder or just checking the hardware forums here if people are having problems and post. »Hardware By Brand Now personally for me I've done a lot of FiOS installs for customers who have wanted to use their own router and I've always found that going with a higher end Linksys does a good job handling the constant torture a really fast internet connection dishes out, due to the lack of service calls I get on Linksys units compared to other brands. Personally for me I've been using a WRT1900AC for several months now without incident for both Comcast and another for FiOS at another location. I know Linksys is coming out with a cheaper version called the WRT1200AC which will be out in a few months so that's something to consider. As with all products your mileage may vary based on your particular use, devices, and environment.
sam64
join:2006-07-31
Newtown, PA

sam64 to msanta

to msanta
I have both a Asus RT-AC68U and an Apple Airport Extreme (old 2nd generation unit). I have to say that both routers are extremely good and rock solid. I have never had a problem with all the years I have been using the Airport Extreme -- the only reason that I am not removing it from my network is that it serves a bunch of HT components with wired ethernet access and gives me a good wifi access point in my basement.

The Asus is fast, has a lot of functionality and is a powerful router. You will not go wrong with either choice.