All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

MyAccount Feedback

More of a feature request than feedback... is it possible to have it generate hourly usage reports instead of daily? On a 50/10 plan you can, theoretically, blow through 5-6% of your monthly usage cap in an hour. A 24 hour period you could do ~120% of your cap. And/or a button to request an update that you could use 1-2 times a day.

Just a thought.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

I'll pass it on to our Dev team

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
Years ago the usage used to be updated every 6 hours, if I remember correctly.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by HiVolt:

Years ago the usage used to be updated every 6 hours, if I remember correctly.

Even that would be a little better... honestly I'm just guessing that it's currently every 24 hours due to the format of it.

I'm just finding it very difficult to figure out where I'm at... I was 78% as of noon but I've been downloading my game backlog from xbox and have no clue if I'm at 85% or 115% at this point.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

You sound like a customer who should be on an unlimited plan if going over is that much of a concern to you.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by MacGyver:

You sound like a customer who should be on an unlimited plan if going over is that much of a concern to you.

Nah, most months I'm not even close to 300 let alone 400. Just because I'm downloading a huge chunk. I'd have shifted it to 2am-8am but the 360 doesn't have scheduling capabilities.

LoveCable
@rogers.com

LoveCable to JMJimmy

Anon

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

I'm just finding it very difficult to figure out where I'm at

Its surprising, as tons of programs exist to count your internet speed and usage by minute. And they are free of trickery, very easy to use and straight objective, just point to your Ethernet adapter interface. Downloading portable Networx »www.softperfect.com/prod ··· networx/ should give you a huge relief then.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by LoveCable :

said by JMJimmy:

I'm just finding it very difficult to figure out where I'm at

Its surprising, as tons of programs exist to count your internet speed and usage by minute. And they are free of trickery, very easy to use and straight objective, just point to your Ethernet adapter interface. Downloading portable Networx »www.softperfect.com/prod ··· networx/ should give you a huge relief then.

And absolutely useless when he's trying to measure usage from his xbox, or other networked devices....

The only other alternative is get a router that has usage monitoring built in the web interface, or you can install 3rd party firmare like Tomato/DD-WRT. But even then thats not 100% what the ISP counts, and it counts everything and does not distinguish from the 2-8am free time...

LoveCable
@rogers.com

LoveCable

Anon

Well, if your router supports SNMP, why not installing free PRTG Network Monitor »www.paessler.com/prtg or similar LAN monitoring package on one's PC, and try learning a bit more about your own network in the process?

On a flip side, most users would tell they called their ISPs at one point or another to challenge the ISP's meter readings.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by LoveCable :

Well, if your router supports SNMP, why not installing free PRTG Network Monitor »www.paessler.com/prtg or similar LAN monitoring package on one's PC, and try learning a bit more about your own network in the process?

On a flip side, most users would tell they called their ISPs at one point or another to challenge the ISP's meter readings.

I'm not sure if the SmartRG supports SNMP, but even if it did I wouldn't want to use it. The more running on a limited power device like a router the worse it performs. If the purpose is gaming the last thing you want is a sluggish or buggy router.

I've never really struggled with the usage limits, this experience has not been what I expected. I would have thought it'd be a more up to date counter, if not real time, at least one that told you when the last reading was taken. I would expect the 50%/75%/etc emails to go out when you hit those numbers, not 12% later.

I'm sure there are technical reasons why the above can't happen, I can think of many. Just sad that UBB exists at all - it never made sense from any perspective but profit.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to LoveCable

Premium Member

to LoveCable
said by LoveCable :

Very few customer routers support it.

SmartRG actually does support it, but you need to run a computer 24/7 to log it.

LoveCable
@rogers.com

LoveCable

Anon

said by HiVolt:

you need to run a computer 24/7 to log it.

One can use an old DD-WRT or similar custom FW router hooked to a low cost Netgear port mirroring switch in parallel with other devices on LAN for that instead of a PC. Install network monitoring tool, Asterisk, other staff of choice onto it, and run your own show - measure usage, auto record all VoIP talk to an attached USB thumb, more... with full control & freedom.
said by JMJimmy:

The more running on a limited power device like a router the worse it performs.

On the contrary, most today's routers hardware is grossly underutilized, but one needs to choose a model carefully with enough RAM and certain CPU, and be DIY inclined.
said by JMJimmy:

I would expect the 50%/75%/etc emails to go out when you hit those numbers, not 12% later.

That's the old Rogers trick - not the only one grandfathered by Indies. But they usually credit the dif if you didn't get Notice on time and call back. Next month they often repeat the same though, that's why folks try to self-monitor.
mr_hexen
join:2007-08-02
Brampton, ON

mr_hexen to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
Why not turn on Zap the Cap so you dont have to worry about scheduling at all?
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by mr_hexen:

Why not turn on Zap the Cap so you dont have to worry about scheduling at all?

As I said, this isn't normal usage for me... I didn't know Jan 1st that I'd be downloading all this stuff at the end of the month. Besides, ZtC is a crap deal for 25/10

XKCDFan
@inter.net

XKCDFan to TSI Andre

Anon

to TSI Andre
On a similar note, does Teksavvy email you when you get near (or go over) your cap to let you know about it, or do you have to constantly log into MyAccount to check it?

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

said by XKCDFan :

On a similar note, does Teksavvy email you when you get near (or go over) your cap to let you know about it, or do you have to constantly log into MyAccount to check it?

Yes, you do get emailed at different intervals. 50%, 75% are the only ones I've gone over so far that I got emailed about.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to XKCDFan

Premium Member

to XKCDFan
It emails you!
TSI Andre

TSI Andre

Premium Member

By it I mean the Internet and by Internet I mean us

XKCDFan
@inter.net

XKCDFan to XKCDFan

Anon

to XKCDFan
Thanks for the quick replies!

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

pulp46 to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
You DL with Xbox? uTorrent has scheduling!

JMJimmy

JMJimmy to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

It emails you!

Not sure it does exactly... 50% email = 62% used... lol