All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Sasba858
join:2008-08-28
Pearl River, LA

Sasba858

DSL internet customers being force to take u-verse internet.

I live in south Louisiana and was told that my DSL is being dropped and that I must now take AT&T U-verse internet.

Is all AT&T's DSL being shut down by AT&T everywhere?

I was told today on the phone that now I must sign a 1 yr contact with their U-verse internet because U-verse is now in my area, and that my DSL will be shut down soon.

Was I told the truth?

bofh
@bellsouth.net

bofh

Anon

no you were not
timeout1
join:2013-04-23
Cleveland, OH

timeout1 to Sasba858

to Sasba858
Wait until you receive a letter from AT&T. They will make you some kind of offer to convert to U-verse.
Sasba858
Pearl River, LA

Sasba858

GUYS!I need these questions answered ASAP as tech is scheduled to come out today!!!

Here are a few more questions I need to ask, as all I want from AT&T is their internet service like I have had for the last 5 years.

1.) I changed to this U-verse conversion contract for 12 months over the phone, is it to late to get out of contract if I don't like what the tech does?

2.) I ask question one, because I been using a Motorola 2210-02-1022 modem for my DSL, and they are bring out this Wi-Fi Gateway for U-verse, and I want to use my own router not theirs, can it be hooked up that way?

3.) I never had a equipment fee charge for my DSL using my Motorola 2210-02-1022 modem, and it looks like there is one with the Wi-Fi Gateway after the year contract is over, is that the case?
Timeclock
join:2009-06-13
Maryville, TN

Timeclock to Sasba858

to Sasba858
I live in a area where the pots lines are so old that u-verse will not work, My DSL works ok but not great. A tech tested my lines and had to go 1.25 miles away from my home to get a signal. I called ATT and filed a report but nothing happened. Good luck getting me to change over.

TIGERON
join:2008-03-11
Boston, MA

TIGERON to Sasba858

to Sasba858
AT&T might be selling their DSL fixed lines in your area to Frontier or Fairpoint.
ham3843
join:2015-01-15
USA

1 edit

ham3843 to timeout1

to timeout1
said by timeout1:

Wait until you receive a letter from AT&T. They will make you some kind of offer to convert to U-verse.

This is the best advice. Unless you receive a formal notification which will be included with your bill , you don't have to do ANYTHING at all. Recently I had a few issues with my DSL being suspiciously slow, called tech support and they had a prem tech come out to check things, line is in excellent condition, I asked whether or not it could be something in the DSLAM or CO, tech claimed he swapped out the f card for a newer one in good condition, no improvement, then the guy tells me I need to get U Verse. LOL I called back tech support to say the trouble remains and they still haven't solved the problem. They again send the same tech out he checks again claims he found a ground to the line??? This is just less than a week after he claimed the line was in good condition. He again says you need to get U Verse...I told the tech that if they can't repair the current product I own why would I pay MORE for a product I don't even need (higher speeds) and monthly modem rental fee and install fee? He shut up and left. I suspect AT&T is trying to push folks off of DSL without actually forcing them to leave.
timeout1
join:2013-04-23
Cleveland, OH

timeout1 to Sasba858

to Sasba858
said by Sasba858:

I want to use my own router not theirs, can it be hooked up that way?

There are threads on this forum and AT&T's forum explaining how to use a router behind the U-verse gateway.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Full Disclosure: You can place your router behind theirs. Their router will always be there.
Sasba858
Pearl River, LA

Sasba858

This morning I read some article I found in here explaining how to use my router behind the U-verse gateway but it seemed a bit complicated to me, beside the fact that after the 1 year contract, not only would I be dealing with the price increase but a $7 Gateway rental fee. So with that said, and some help in the forum about possibly not needing to go U-verse, I called back AT&T retention department and told them that I did not want the U-verse, and wanted to go back to DSL. (You see the reason I called them in the first place was because the year promotion they had me on for $31 had ran out and went up to the $46 it normally runs.) I then told them I had been getting mail flyers from Charter Cable for 30mbps for $29.99 with a 1 yr contract when I only have 3mbps with them. I told them I wanted to stay with them because I have been with them for the pass 7 years to spite the difference in internet speed, but I just couldn't afford going to $46. I then told him I went in a forum and found out that I could keep my DSL until it is completely shut down in my area, which I am sure has not happen since they still are selling it on their own website. Also, I told him that after 1 year with U-verse I would have a $7 Gateway modem fee, when with my DSL there is no modem rental fee on the Motorola modem. Then the AT&T retention guy told me I could keep the DSL until it goes down, and he would give my a $15 discount back to the $31.00 I was paying but I would have to go with a 1 year contract which I had before it ran out.

Thanks everyone for you help and comments!

ham3843
USA

ham3843 to TIGERON

to TIGERON
said by TIGERON:

AT&T might be selling their DSL fixed lines in your area to Frontier or Fairpoint.

I wish they would do that here in SC. Anyone know if Frontier is looking to buy the Bell South legacy lines in the upstate area (GSP)?
Ky Nutcase
join:2003-03-03
Morganfield, KY

Ky Nutcase to Sasba858

to Sasba858
In my case here in western KY I called to ask a bill question and got talked in to U-Verse, In my area the only fiber optic service is to the cell towers. AT&T tested the lines and told me I was 1500 & change feet from the CO and I was too far DSL which I have had or 10+ yrs. AT&T played with the line, CO, I have new pair back to the switches, and my U-Verse is slower than AOL.

Make sure that there is fiber optic at least to the DSAM. and wait till until they make you switch over that way they almost have NO CHOICE but build up the system or loosing lots o customers
ham3843
USA

ham3843

Sorry to hear about yet another AT&T disaster...
I have had some latency issues but the service has been reliable and most importantly although it isn't cheap is it not as expensive as
U Verse vDSL that they are trying to talk me into. I have spent about two hours total on the phone trying to get them to change me to another router to see if that solves my issues (the problem is NOT my line)
and they just keep pushing U Verse. I am NOT interested because of the in my case I don't need the speed and I do NOT want to pay the much higher prices (modem rental & install fees).