Search similar:

uniqs

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

[TV] 8300HD HD to two HD TVs simultaneously?

We an 8300HD DVR/receiver in a condo we are renting. The main HDTV is connected via HDMI. I would like to add a second HDTV and connect it using component cables (3-video and 2-audio) to the 8300HD box so I can watch the Super Bowl game broadcast in HD on both TVs at the same time. Can I do that? It's been a long time since I had this type box and I have forgotten if that is possible.

Thanks for any and all help...

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by SoonerAl:

We an 8300HD DVR/receiver in a condo we are renting. The main HDTV is connected via HDMI. I would like to add a second HDTV and connect it using component cables (3-video and 2-audio) to the 8300HD box so I can watch the Super Bowl game broadcast in HD on both TVs at the same time. Can I do that? It's been a long time since I had this type box and I have forgotten if that is possible.

I believe that if you are already connected through HDMI (and have done a correct handshake for the DRM) that the component port is disabled and can't be used. But I could certainly be wrong there.

If that is the case though, your options are:

1) Buy a HDMI switch. (And hopefully both TV's can handshake with the TV, that appears to be a problem with cableboxes and satboxes). Estimated cost: $50-$75.

2) Get more component cables and a component switch and hook up both TV's on component. (No handshake, so this will work for both TV's). Estimated cost: $40-$50.

3) Ask a friend to bring a digital cable box. As long as you are in the same city (or same market), the already authorized box of your friend will connect onto your cables and will work without any problems. Estimated cost: A 6-pack of beer for said friend.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Thanks...

Unfortunately I don't know anyone here with an HD box so that option is out.

I may just run over to the local Walmart, purchase a set of component cables and try it. If it works then fine, if it does not work then I simply return the cables to the store for a refund.

I don't want to go to the expense of either a HDMI switch or a component switch.

Thanks again though...

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
This is where TiVo blows cable co boxes away. All outputs on TiVo are live
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
You could always go out and get some RCA splitters, you'll need 3 and run component everywhere.
rdsport323
join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

rdsport323 to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

I believe that if you are already connected through HDMI (and have done a correct handshake for the DRM) that the component port is disabled and can't be used. But I could certainly be wrong there.

I think you are wrong because, this is how I have slingbox working with all of my boxes. The cable box is connected to the TV via hdmi, and I have component cables to my slingbox. And I am able to watch both at the same time. So I think it should work.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
said by SoonerAl:

The Superbowl is on NBC, isn't it? So if you still have ClearQAM, you should be able to just tune in directly with the cable plugged directly in to your TV. Otherwise, you can pick up a DTA and it should be free (at least for now).
chiz0
join:2013-02-15
Milwaukee, WI

chiz0

It may be easier to just go the antenna route to pick up the Broadcast over the air station for free. Antennas can be pretty inexpensive and some tv's have them built in. It will also be streamed online for free as well, so you may be able to connect a laptop to the 2nd tv. The only drawback that might happen is that they wont be synced up correctly. Let us know what route you go.

SoonerAl
MVM
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

OTA reception is very bad in the condo. The area where I would use the second TV is ocean side and the building is built like a bunker so OTA TV and cell phone connections would be/are marginal at best. I use an AT&T Microcell to solve the cell phone issues...

I'll stick with the one HDTV and the TW HD service and rearrange seating to optimize the viewing angles.

Thanks for all of the suggestions...

Case closed...
xpxp2002
join:2014-08-29
NEO

xpxp2002 to rdsport323

to rdsport323
said by rdsport323:

said by maartena:

I think you are wrong because, this is how I have slingbox working with all of my boxes. The cable box is connected to the TV via hdmi, and I have component cables to my slingbox. And I am able to watch both at the same time. So I think it should work.

I also have this configuration, but using the HDMI interface by having the TV on disables video output through the component interface. Turning off the TV and 8300, then just turning then 8300 back on allows the component outputs to start working.