dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Scrapple
join:2015-01-30

Scrapple

Default logon creds for Charter/Cisco DPC3216?

CSR at Charter couldn't even tell me how to find the modem's web interface. Anybody know how to get logged on to it (because they obviously can't)? I need to switch off its DHCP service (and see what other toys it offers). I tried all the usual 'admins' and 'passwords' and with all different capitalization schemes. I even found a post in this forum from 2010 that said it might be chtruser/charter, but that didn't work either. Nor any of the dozens of permutations on "charter" I could come up with.

I read an old post in another forum that Charter couldn't allow the customers to log on to the device because the only control over a user's throughput was a restriction in the modem's configuration settings. Dunno 'bout that but I figure this is a good place to start looking for some gen-you-wine information.

DarkenMoon
Premium Member
join:2013-11-14
Silver Springs, NV

DarkenMoon

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure it isn't able to be logged into. I can't login to my Cisco DPC3010, and I never have been able to.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Scrapple

Premium Member

to Scrapple
DPC3216 is a straight modem. It only does dhcp when it doesn't sync to the cable system. DHCP is off after the modem syncs. There is nothing you can configure on it, as it is a Ethernet-Coax bridge.

Cisco by default locks down their modems and has for over a decade. It's not something most ISPs go out of ther way to do.

Access into the modem will get you to diagnostic signal and log information.

Manual:
»www.cisco.com/web/consum ··· pter.pdf

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Scrapple

to Scrapple
This topic has to have been discussed a thousand times in previous threads. NO ONE KNOWS THE LOGIN on the current 3008, 3010, or 3216 cisco modems.

Many have suggested combinations which didn't work (why list if you hadn't tried them).

Good luck!
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

said by compuguybna:

This topic has to have been discussed a thousand times in previous threads. NO ONE KNOWS THE LOGIN on the current 3008, 3010, or 3216 cisco modems.

I don't think we ever got an official reason from either Charter or Cisco on why they do this though...

It isn't like you can screw things up my looking at the data it is showing.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

It's the default config of the Cisco modems. It's been a reoccurring issue with them for over 10 years.

It takes a special config file entry to turn it off. It originally started with Scientific Atlanta modems which Linksys rebranded as their own. Then Cisco bought them out and made the modem lines their own.

Link to some docs about it I posted awhile back: »Re: [NE] Is Cox still blocking SNMP?
Scrapple

1 edit

Scrapple

For starters, please understand I am a networking imbecile, as well as being a bit thick. So if this seems I'm challenging the information anyone has offered, I don't mean to, it's only because I'm trying to fill the holes in my own ignorance.

My major malfunction with the modem providing DHCP services is that I have a considerable investment in managing my network through my WRT54's DD-WRT firmware; DHCP with IP address reservations (essential for certain services) and MAC address filtering, QoS, and so-on and so-forth. In fact, that is specifically why I declined Charter's WiFi modem, that and the fact that there are several threads in this forum advising to keep the gateway and WiFi router functions on separate devices. Advice with which I was happy to comply.

Okay, if the modem isn't providing DHCP, then I presume the reason whatever device I connect to it via RJ45 draws an IP address that is compatible to the modem's own internal Class A IP address (when my network is Class C) is APIPA (or something akin to it).
Yes/No/Maybe?

That question is rooted in two facts. #1, I asked the installer directly if the modem had DHCP enabled by default and he answered, 'Yes.' Then again, he also answered 'Yes" when I asked if its default internal IP address was 192.168.1.1, which, as we already have established, it is not. And no, he did not leave any documentation, not a single scrap. And #2, the only time I ever recall seeing APIPA "functioning" is when negotiations failed and all parties drew a 169.254.xxx.xxx addresses. I don't recall ever having seen communications successfully established between two devices through APIPA.

So if it isn't providing DCHP, then I've got my knickers in a twist for nothing. All I ever needed to do was to adjust my WiFi router's base IP address to something compatible with the Cicso modem's static internal IP address and we're off to the races. And there'd be no challengers to my WRT54's DHCP authority.
Yes/No/Maybe?

And thank you for the links, DrDrew. I already had downloaded the DPC3216 manuals, both from Charter and from Cisco. I know it isn't unheard of that an ISP should put their own custom firmware on a gateway device (or at least tweak the existing), but the 'big pieces' of both version of the manual were the same. So it's finally making sense why there's no depiction in the manuals of the "controls" offered in the web interface, either in Cisco's version or Charter's. Or mention of default logon credentials.

But what is the "it" you referred to in your second post, which requires a special config file entry to be turned off? I seem to be missing your point.

I already had stumbled across the web interface's IP address (which the Charter Tier 1 pinheads didn't know existed) at 192.168.100.1. But finding it only compounded my bewilderment, because I can't understand why it would have a provision for entering logon credentials for a logon that does not exist, and who puts their device's web interface on an IP address separate and distinct from that of the device itself? Not to mention the device has a Class A address and the web interface's is Class C.

So if I'm understanding you correctly (and please tell me if I'm not), my next move should be to try to find a base IP address for my WiFi router that is compatible with the modem's internal IP address, and taker 'er for a test spin.
Yes/No/Maybe?

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Scrapple

to Scrapple
192.168.100.1 is pretty much the standard web address to access any cable modem interface. Was on the UBEE, MOTOROLA, and is on the CISCO.

Hard to believe Charter tech are oblivious to this...

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to Scrapple

to Scrapple
said by Scrapple:

I already had stumbled across the web interface's IP address (which the Charter Tier 1 pinheads didn't know existed) at 192.168.100.1.

They're not aware of it because they're not DOCSIS/tech savvy and/or because they don't utilize the LAN-side interface as a customer would - they use a web-based utility to capture and analyze the DOCSIS parameters/statistics via their management interface.

If your LAN's DHCP subnet mask so that 192.168.100.1 is not within it.
Ctech
join:2013-07-27

Ctech to Scrapple

to Scrapple
said by Scrapple:

Okay, if the modem isn't providing DHCP, then I presume the reason whatever device I connect to it via RJ45 draws an IP address that is compatible to the modem's own internal Class A IP address (when my network is Class C) is APIPA (or something akin to it).
Yes/No/Maybe?

connect to the modem or the router? the modem gives out one IP address, if you hook pc direct it will get an address from modem, if you connect a router it will give that address to the router and your router gives out addresses to the devices attached to it.
said by Scrapple:

So if it isn't providing DCHP, then I've got my knickers in a twist for nothing. All I ever needed to do was to adjust my WiFi router's base IP address to something compatible with the Cicso modem's static internal IP address and we're off to the races. And there'd be no challengers to my WRT54's DHCP authority.
Yes/No/Maybe?

all you need to do is tell the router to gets its ip address automatically
Scrapple

Scrapple

said by Ctech:

all you need to do is tell the router to gets its ip address automatically

Not possible. The router requires that its IP address (and the gateway device's) be statically configured.

Which highlights another complication. It appears the modem sometimes changes its internal address, I'm guessing at random, when it's rebooted. When I first tested it, it was on 24.179.xxx.xxx. I unplugged it to reorganize the wall outlet and when it had rebooted, it had changed to 66.191.xxx.xxx. Why anyone would think that a gateway device's internal and non-routeable private IP address would need to be dynamic is god's own mystery.

Previously I figured, worst case, I could convert everything on my network to static addresses, which would be a nuisance, but would make the Charter/Cisco modem at least minimally acceptable. But if it changes addresses, even infrequently, that's a non-negotiable non-starter.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

Your router's WAN interface must be set to DHCP. I think you're confusing the WAN and LAN interface IPs.

Also, the IP prefixes you listed are not internal, non-routeable IP addresses.
Scrapple

Scrapple

Gents, I humbly apologize. I was fixated on the settings I've been using, which is this ...

... which is why I ASSuMEd DHCP wasn't possible.

The connection I was failing to make is that you were telling me cable modem is a different beast, and configures differently from DSL. DSL is all the Internet I've had, ever since dial-up days. And I've been running this same set-up at least ten years, so I knew to a certainty my way worked. But when I looked in the pull-down under 'Connection Type,' there it was: DHCP.

Changed it to DHCP, rebooted the modem and, BADA-BING, I'm connected.

So now you know I was speaking the truth when I said I am both a networking imbecile and thick-headed.

Please accept my sincerest apologies, and my gratitude for all your help.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech to Scrapple

to Scrapple
A little off topic, but that wrt54 router is very old and outdated. I think it's hardwired throughput is about 22M. Updating that may help solve your automatic dhcp problems.