spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DigiCrime
join:2006-08-22
Lake Saint Louis, MO

DigiCrime

[CenturyTel] Bad service after 3pm since November

After 3 in the afternoon the internet becomes unusable. This is my speed when it starts acting up. »i.imgur.com/c4YcjC2.png

This is around 8 in the evening when everyone should be watching the superbowl. Not a big improvement. »i.imgur.com/qCQtcYn.png and it will stay this way up to 1-2 in the morning. And this is everyday not just selected days. The morning at 5 is the best time

Centurylink admits that there have been bandwidth problems in my area since early november. They dont deny it but yet they are dragging their feet to repair it. This has been going on for a lot longer then that. Ive been unable to enjoy any netflix it wont stream it just spins loading. Remoting in for work is difficult unless I use my cell service which isnt all the greatest either. Sometimes I get signal other times I get none at all.

Everyone that I have spoke to in my neighborhood expresses their dissatisfaction with the service but there isn't anything we can do about it except wait it out or cancel. There are no providers were we live. No one should have to pay for this kind of service. 10Mbps is all that is available in my area.
Corporate
join:2014-10-04

Corporate

Verizon appears to have 4G LTE in your area. Verizon has a fixed-wireless service called LTE Internet (Installed). This service will provide faster speeds than CenturyLink. If you can get a signal outside of your house with your cell phone the LTE Internet (Installed) service will work fine.

Check to see if LTE Internet (Installed) is available at your address:

»www.verizonwireless.com/ ··· stalled/
wdm
join:2014-06-09
Ashland, MO

wdm to DigiCrime

to DigiCrime
There are other threads on this right now. I am having the same issue in mid-mo and others from western MO and east KS have posted as well. At this point, I'd say centruylink have some major network issues they are ignoring since this is a state wide issue that began in Nov. It has to be intentional as it's gone on for months and there is no way they are unaware since this is likely affecting tens of thousands of customers.

I have been emailing talktous@centurylink but it's been a week and a half with no explanation. I am thinking i'ts about time to starting filing complaints with our AG Chris Koster along with the FCC and FTC. PSN and XBOX live are pretty much unusable from 5-11pm. CL have no issue promising speed and charging for it, yet the feel no need to deliver.
DigiCrime
Lake Saint Louis, MO

DigiCrime

There is some LTE coverage in my area but the service is very new (barely a year old) so it gets saturated very quickly. Plus there are data caps and netflix would burn thru this fast.

I didn't read around much before I made this thread. Looks like I am not the only one who is having this problem. But yea can't stream netflix, youtube buffering, no online gaming. We are essentially paying for service that doesn't even work 97% of the time.

Even complaints on their facebook page are going unanswered. Their operating revenues are down »ir.centurylink.com/Corpo ··· =4057179 so they are loosing money, probably bleeding it. I believe there are enough people that possibly legal action can be taken. It isn't like its bothering just a few hundred people, looks to be in the thousands based on googling and social media complaints.
wdm
Ashland, MO

wdm

Yeah, it's a wide spread issue. I doubt they are losing money though. Have you tried running a trace route to see exactly where the congestion is popping up in your connection?

I did hear back from CL and they are working to resolve congestion issues at this moment but no eta for completion... so at least they know. Not sure if fixing the issue for me will also fix it for you.
DigiCrime
Lake Saint Louis, MO

DigiCrime

All the time but it is pointless to report because you get a generic response from the CS rep. Level one support reps are the the front line to all support so I can imagine their frustration but still it shouldn't take a back seat when it is this large of a problem.
mikemacman
join:2004-05-29
Saint Paul, MN

mikemacman to DigiCrime

to DigiCrime
said by DigiCrime:

We are essentially paying for service that doesn't even work 97% of the time.

Report the issue to them and ask them to credit your account. You shouldn't be paying for a non-functional service.

When the node near me was "congested" a couple years ago I'd call them every month or so and they'd credit my full bill for the month. On one of the calls I talked to an idiot that tried to tell me my high ping times just meant I had picked a "bad server". I told him I wanted to cancel my service, he transferred me to retentions and they gave me a credit (and I didn't cancel.)
wdm
Ashland, MO

wdm

I am not too far from OP and reported this issue in my area a while ago. The frustrating part isn't that I have to pay for it, it's that it doesn't' work and there are no other options. I'd rather pay double for service that works rather than have free crappy service. Unfortunately, CL would rather give a free month and continue to let the service deteriorate. Since I first contacted CL I've gone from slight latency spikes and bandwidth drops to constant disconnects and less than half my speed. There is no end in sight and it's likely to get worse. I did go ahead and report CL to our state AG and the FCC but who knows if that will help.

ps, CL phone support is atrocious.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to Corporate

to Corporate
If 2m/.5m service isn't sufficient for the original poster, is it maybe possible that LTE Internet (Installed) will also be insufficient? Pings and speeds will be better, but OP will find themselves having run out of available data quota on a service that costs over twice what they pay now in just a few days. And then, short of climbing up on top of their home and unplugging the antenna, they will find that there's no way to stop the system from chatting with the tower, somehow incurring usage overages even though no real data is being transferred.

Unless magically, Verizon Wireless has completely revamped the service and it's now priced competitively to CenturyLink's DSL offerings with a similar usage policy.
coryw

coryw to DigiCrime

to DigiCrime
I wonder if this is the kind of thing that CenturyLink's core router replacement project, »www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 14-10-30 is supposed to be helping to resolve?

I don't see any exact timelines in the article, so it could be that they've already bought and deployed the things, or just that CL has chosen them, but that they have yet to receive or configure and start using their new routers.
DigiCrime
Lake Saint Louis, MO

DigiCrime

Its 10:30 in the morning and the speeds are the same, 4Mbp down 65Kbp up. Trace route times out a couple times but nothing major. Nothing has changed it seems and ironically when I called them today about problems, they disconnected from me so I had to contact them back.

They won't do any credits because they can't verify there is a problem LOL so ridiculous. Service problems means actual outage. As long as I am getting internet it isn't an issue. So it appears now that my internet is the same all day now instead of just a certain time in the evening. They claim the bandwidth exhaustion will be fixed on the 28th of this month.

Looks like this is the end of the line nothing more I can do.
DigiCrime

DigiCrime

Feb 28th is here hope they stick to their word. as of right now nothing has changed still slow as heck to load anything
wdm
Ashland, MO

wdm

Yup. Last night was the same crappy latency in my area. I'm not holding my breath that something magical will happen in the next 36 hours ...
aaronka9
join:2004-01-29
Marysville, OH

aaronka9 to DigiCrime

to DigiCrime
Funny, I am having the same issues in Central Ohio, same story from CL rep...bandwidth saturation...but lucky me it will be "fixed by the end of the month". This is March 1st, so I guess that means in 30 days. They must be trained to tell us "end of the month" hoping we forget in 30 days how crappy our service is and that they promised to fix it. The only hope I have is that about two months ago a contractor hired by CL was burying what looks like fiber in front of my house to the remote DSLAM down the road about a mile. The cable is in but nothing else has been done since then. The other odd thing is that my dynamic IP has been changing very frequently in the last month. It used to only change every couple of months now it is almost 2-3 times a week.

Brett C
join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

1 edit

Brett C to wdm

to wdm
My routing issues were fixed up a few weeks back. Granted, during peak on the weekends, there's about a 3 to 5ms spike at the same route - but i'll take that minimal increase over the 100-250ms+ with added packet loss.

Give them time, they'll /eventually/ (facewall) get you guys fixed up.

In other news; I upgraded my Samsung Note2 to a Note4 from Sprint the other day. The tower that i am hitting is about 2.5miles away, and I'm getting a consistent 20-50mbps down and 10 to 20mbps upload, over their Band41 spectrum (depends where I am at in the house for those speeds:P).

My DSL is a whopping 10mbps down and 1mbps up. The DSL is starting to show its age when compared to LTE speeds like that... but it has a static IP, so i can't complain there.
wdm
Ashland, MO

wdm to aaronka9

to aaronka9
Yeah, CL ran fiber in front of my neighborhood back in October. Unfortunately that appears to be a trunk to a small business at the front of our neighborhood. It's disappointing how CL overlooked us like giving the wealthy eating a feast in front of the starving peasants since my neighborhood only sees 3-7MB. I am fine with copper, but only getting those speeds 100 yards from a fiber connection feels kind of offensive.

Maybe I will get lucky like bctrainers and at least have our nightly latency issues fixed soon... but we've lived here for 4 years and never had CL make upgrades. That plus the over 4 months of latency plus fiber to our doorstep seem to say CL really don't care about us, which is a real bummer.
wdm

wdm

It's getting to mid March and issues are still ongoing. CL have said the upgrades were pushed back to the end of March. They've had since Nov to fix the saturation they must have seen coming so I guess another month is just a drop in the bucket at this point. Maybe this is indeed a tactic hoping we will forget. Unfortunately, I am reminded of it every night between 6pm and 11pm with my jump from 30ms up to 120ms. Have they actually fixed the saturation for anyone else?
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

Hi wdm and anyone else having trouble. If you send us your account info via email at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com we can look into these issues for you to find out what's going on. Thank you.

Joey H
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com

Annoyed
@qwest.net

Annoyed

Anon

I've done this and all you've told me is "you aren't guaranteed your purchased speed, only up to a certain percentage of that".

I've had continually bad service from Century Link. I came home today and my speed was at 5Mb down! I have a 40Mb service! There has been 19 retrains on my modem in the past 24 hours! Now Im' stuck at 25Mb down after several reboots. I am very unhappy and the support does nothing to actually look in to or fix the issues. Very disappointed with Century Link, guess I'll be going with "evil" Comcast, at least they can deliver!
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

This issue isn't related to the congestion talked about in this thread, and is actually very repairable.

You'll most likely need to call CenturyLink because something will have happened somewhere between your home and the DSLAM causing this.

It may take multiple calls and different troubleshooting procedures to get it fixed, but if you are persistent it will eventually be fixed.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to Annoyed

to Annoyed
Hi Annoyed. I know you're frustrated and I apologize for that. You can also send us a DM here on DSLReports with your information. It's just hard for me to tell what account is yours with the anonymous name here. We'll do all we can to help you.

Joey

Brett C
join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS

Brett C

Well then, lag monster and slow speeds have made a return to the Gardner, KS / Kansas City CenturyLink routers...

Ping to this server is normally 15 to 20ms. Download is generally right at 9.90Mbps-10Mbps. Upload is about the same...

My traceroute  [v0.85]
router.home.lan (0.0.0.0)                                              Wed Apr 15 20:56:19 2015
Resolver: Received error response 2. (server failure)er of fields   quit
                                                       Packets               Pings
 Host                                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. ks-76-7-12-129.sta.embarqhsd.net                  0.0%   109    5.8   5.2   4.3   9.8   0.8
 2. ks-76-7-223-16.sta.embarqhsd.net                  0.0%   108   93.6  93.0  77.9 127.6   6.5
 3. 208.110.241.153                                   0.0%   108   95.5  95.4  78.0 155.3   9.5
 4. bb-kscbmonr-jx9-01-ae0.core.centurytel.net        0.0%   108   95.4  98.0  80.5 133.7   9.4
 5. bb-dllstx37-jx9-02-xe-11-1-0.core.centurytel.net  0.0%   108  140.5 111.3  95.7 159.0   8.2
 6. ???
 7. dap-brdr-04.inet.qwest.net                        0.0%   108  107.1 110.0  95.1 171.0   9.0

Guess it's time for me to call up Comcast and see if they still have that special offer on going in this area. This is beyond permissible at this point, it's borderline incompetent. I honestly no longer care about the reasoning behind the bandwidth/latency issues. This garbage has been ongoing since November of last year in this region. It was fixed for all of a month and half and made a rapid return out of the blue at the start of April.

edit; Adding another speed test...
wdm
Ashland, MO

wdm

They were finally able to restore my service to normal latency on the first of April, though I am worried it may return in a few months and take another 5 to fix. That's about 1/2 a year with working internet =/. Your story seems to validate my concern.

I am desperately trying to get charter to come the extra hundred or so yards and build out our neighborhood. That way should service take another dive we will have other options. I never thought I would say this, but you are lucky to have comcast available.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to Corporate

to Corporate
said by Corporate:

Verizon has a fixed-wireless service called LTE Internet (Installed).

That's horse5hit. One hour of netflix streaming puts you over the insanity data cap. As if the average person doesn't use more than one hour's worth of Netflix streaming data per day.
DigiCrime
Lake Saint Louis, MO

DigiCrime

This is a speed test after restart this morning 9:00am central time. It is now Mid Summer and no changes in speed. So much for century link promises.

»i.imgur.com/QjjanKS.jpg
Slyster
join:2015-01-08
Sugar Grove, VA

Slyster to DigiCrime

to DigiCrime
I am in the same boat except my evening issues go back 2+ years. I have pretty much given up on any online hobbies. Come home from work and by then the internet is unusable. No streaming and no online games. I only keep paying because the wife is home during the day and she makes use of it.

It is beyond robbery , fraud , incompetence , laziness , greed..etc at this point. They simply do not care.
roopaui
join:2015-06-16
Murchison, TX

roopaui to DigiCrime

to DigiCrime
Click for full size
this is my 59.99 a month service. i have no other options for internet or i would have left back when century link took over from embarq, embarq was always good. when cl took over it went to shit and never looked back.
roopaui

roopaui to Slyster

to Slyster
thats my speed 20 hrs a day. it goes up from about 2am till 5am or so.
DigiCrime
Lake Saint Louis, MO

DigiCrime to roopaui

to roopaui
said by roopaui:

this is my 59.99 a month service.

That is terrible. Just don't understand how this allowed. Just baffles the hell out of me..
DigiCrime

DigiCrime to Slyster

to Slyster
It's only fraud because we let them get away with it. I won't be putting up with it much longer though I have been documenting everything since they said they would fix it for me. Slow speeds, time outs. They even offered me a credit on my bill.. but when the bill came there was no credit lol It's all going to the attorney at the end of the year unless CL steps up to the plate. Otherwise if we sit on the sidelines and do nothing, it will continue.