All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DavidDay22
join:2008-09-06
Madison Heights, MI

DavidDay22

[Speed] How do you know you are configured for 105?

Is there a way to read the configuration file on the modem to determine which speed you are configured for? I upgraded from from 50 to 105, and my bill changed, but my speed didn't.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

[Speed] Re: How do you know you are configured for 105?

There are a few questions needed to be asked. What modem are you using? Is your router and computer gigabit equipped? What speed test sites are you using? Did you restart your modem? All could affect the speed you are getting. My configuration file to my modem is d11_m_sb6183_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm and am on Blast 105.
DavidDay22
join:2008-09-06
Madison Heights, MI

DavidDay22

It is a label a XB3, which I believe is Comcast's version of the Cisco DPC3939. I have tried using Comcast, giving them the home field advantage, and the speed test site here at Broadband. My router and computer are both gigabit, and I restarted the modem a couple of times.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to DavidDay22

Premium Member

to DavidDay22
Are you in bridge mode?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to DavidDay22

MVM

to DavidDay22
Have you called Comcast to verify your provisioning?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to DavidDay22

to DavidDay22
From the research I did that's a really good device. I'd definitely do what Johkal said and call Comcast to figure out if they provisioned you correctly. Let us know what happens.
robwiljas
join:2008-09-05
Everett, WA

robwiljas to DavidDay22

to DavidDay22

Re: [Speed] How do you know you are configured for 105?

Is there more than one XB3? I just got one today, it says XB3 on it, but it's AC and it's a Cisco DPC3941. I've got Blast 105 and my config file is dpc3941-P20-18-v303r20421622-141112a-CMCST

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I've seen a Cisco DPC3939 be identified as a XB3. The DPC3939 is a 16x4 Wireless Residential Voice Gateway where as the DPC3941T is a 24x4 Wireless Residential Voice Gateway. (There is a discrepancy on Cisco's documentation as the datasheet link says 24x8 while the datasheet internally refers to it as 24x4) I've also found the Technicolor TC8706C and TC8717 identified as a XB3. Here is a website: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· rguides/

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by robwiljas:

Is there more than one XB3? I just got one today, it says XB3 on it, but it's AC and it's a Cisco DPC3941.

said by Mike Wolf:

I've seen a Cisco DPC3939 be identified as a XB3. The DPC3939 is a 16x4 Wireless Residential Voice Gateway where as the DPC3941T is a 24x4 Wireless Residential Voice Gateway.

I've also found the Technicolor TC8706C and TC8717 identified as a XB3.

Here is a website: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· rguides/

Yes, the Cisco DPC3939 and DPC3941T are both labeled as "XB3," though the DPC3941T is referred to as an "AC XB3" or "XB3v2" »Re: [Equip] Comcast introduces a new wireless gateway - the Cisco DPC3941T

The two models are also differentiated by Comcast calling the DPC3939 a "Wireless Gateway 2" and the DPC3941T a "Wireless Gateway 3":

The Different Wireless Gateways for Your Home Network
Updated on February 10, 2015 at 4:49 PM
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· compare/

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yes but for the average consumer who has never been to that site they wouldn't know.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

EG to robwiljas

Premium Member

to robwiljas
said by robwiljas:

I've got Blast 105 and my config file is dpc3941-P20-18-v303r20421622-141112a-CMCST

FWIW, thats the *firmware* version, not the"config file".

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Yes but for the average consumer who has never been to that site they wouldn't know.

Yes, only the "superior," educated consumers who visit this forum!
robwiljas
join:2008-09-05
Everett, WA

robwiljas to EG

to EG
Ah gotcha, my mistake.

Can you see the config file name on these? I don't see anything that looks like it in the settings at 10.0.0.1, and 192.168.100.1 doesn't work.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

I believe that CC has that disabled in the firmware.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

1 edit

mustang50 to DavidDay22

Premium Member

to DavidDay22
The OP lives about 5-10 miles from me. I know this area hasn't been upgraded automatically. "speedtierextreme2_c01" is BLAST and BLAST is still 50/10.

When I got 105/20 because my triple-play was eligible, my config file changed to _widebandshowcaseblast_c01.cm. which is Extreme 105.

Usually I only can see this with a firmware upgrade. It's rare, I copied it a while ago when they upgraded the firmware on my sb6141.

Don't confuse config-file with firmware. They are 2 different things.
cheeseman
join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA

cheeseman to DavidDay22

to DavidDay22
Typically:

silver = performance
speedtierextreme2 = blast
widebandshowcastblast = extreme
ultra = old COS (pre-current-tiers)

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by cheeseman:

Typically:

silver = performance
speedtierextreme2 = blast
widebandshowcastblast = extreme
ultra = old COS (pre-current-tiers)

economyplus, performancestarter_, silverpboost, speedtier, widebandblast, and widebandshowcaseblast. I don't know how old these are but it's what I have in notepad for Comcast Config file.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to mustang50

to mustang50
That's why I like the new UI the Broadcom chipped modems use. It shows the firmware right there easy as can be. »Re: [Internet] Arris SB6183 modem on the way! at least with the Motorola SB6183 it lets you see the whole config and boot file name via a hidden url. »Re: [Equip] sb6183
Mike Wolf

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
I think those who visit here are just well informed, educated consumers who take an interest in the services they are provided in order to get the best possible experience.
waja
join:2015-02-28
Belmont, CA

waja to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: [Speed] Re: How do you know you are configured for 105?

Using a Gigabit Router will not guarantee that you will get your 105 Mbps throughput. Check your router here »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· ter/view to see the WAN to LAN throughput. When I upgraded to 105 Mbps, I still only had a 55 Mbps download speed. Using the chart at SmallNetBuilder, I found that my Netgear Gigabit router FVS336G could only do 59 Mbps. I upgraded to a Cisco RV320 and now get 125 Mbps. Both routers are Gigabit Routers with VPN built-in. The Netgear had cost more, but the Cisco router gets the job done.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Correct, I've said the same thing in other threads over the years. There is a testing process. Check to verify the modem is correctly provisioned. If it's correct, check cabling, check if the networking equipment supports gigabit and bypass the router for a direct connection to the modem for good measure, and if possible try a different computer. If all of that checks out then it could be a signal issue causing slower speeds and a tech would need to be dispatched. I know just because a device is labeled "gigabit" doesn't mean it may support gigabit speeds. Most residential devices the past few years get really close to gigabit (there are always exceptions) but checking out multiple performance reviews is always a good read. Usually when someone is asked about their equipment they say the model numbers, it gets cross referenced on various sites for throughput issues and report back and more steps are taken if necessary. Sometimes a firmware update causes or fixes throughput and performance issues so cross referencing firmware release notes also helps. I do like smallnetbuider but there have been times of inconsistencies when comparing against a large number of other review sites reporting better results on the same product, plus as I mentioned before sometimes a product is only tested once with poor results and even though new firmware claims to have improved performance, it's likely never retested and its rating changed except for special circumstances. I can think of a few routers that were terrible when they first came to market and the initial reviews were horrible but subsequent firmware updates literally turned them into new products with night and day results. Shopping for a product should not start and end on the review of one site but from a collaboration of many and I personally like seeing what other users who own the product have to say, what problems they've run into, and their thoughts/regrets, before I make a purchase.