spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cgartner
@rr.com

cgartner

Anon

[Internet] New cable modem to consider in lieu of Arris SB6183

Don't overlook an option now available for purchase at Amazon to support upcoming Time Warner internet speed increases. Instead of only considering the Arris SB6183 at $129.99 take a look at the new Netgear CM500 priced $30 cheaper. I just bought one and installed it in preparation of improvements coming in two weeks to TWC's system here in San Antonio. Very pleased with the performance of the Netgear CM500 so far.

Austin TWC
@rr.com

Austin TWC

Anon

I'm in Austin, and also have TWC. I'm curious, how were you able to get the tech to provision the CM500?

As far as their supported modem list goes, only the SB6183 and C6300 are approved for 200/20 300/30. I'd love to know how I can get these setup with TWC

I've been itching to find something cheaper than the crazy high $130-220 prices of 16x4 modems. I was looking at this modem and the D3CM1604. Both are about the same price, and cheaper on eBay. Only issue I had was them not being on TWC's approved 16x4 modems.

Thanks!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to cgartner

Premium Member

to cgartner
said by cgartner :

I just bought one and installed it in preparation of improvements coming in two weeks to TWC's system here in San Antonio. Very pleased with the performance of the Netgear CM500 so far.

Just be aware that it is not on the 'supported' list and they may not allow it on the faster tiers.

cgartner
@rr.com

cgartner to Austin TWC

Anon

to Austin TWC
It will be on TWC's supported list shortly. Comcast already has blessed it. The TWC rep I talked to had to override the system but got it accepted and I've got 16 bonded channels down and four up as expected.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Someone in Cleveland on TWC got it approved easily (Amazon review).

Thanks for posting about this. I will be upgraded to 200/20 when current Maxx upgrades (Oahu currently) get to my island and area and the 6141 I rent won't do it. The price on this one is much better than the SB6183. Plus, it will go with my SamKnows Netgear router.
winstars
join:2011-06-17
US

winstars to cgartner

to cgartner
Many of the reviews on Amazon for this modem were from people who got it for free thru a Netgear Friends and Family program. Did you purchase yours or obtain it from the F and F program?

Its great that we will have a choice now, and a cheaper one at that!

cgartner
@rr.com

cgartner

Anon

I bought mine though I'd love to have gotten it for free! I need to see how I can participate in Netgear's F & F program...

embj
Premium Member
join:2003-09-12
Durham, NC

embj to cgartner

Premium Member

to cgartner
Not to thread crap or anything, but good luck when it just randomly dies one day within the next couple of years...

That's happened to EVERY single piece of Netgear equipment that I've owned from wireless routers to switches to print servers.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by embj:

Not to thread crap or anything, but good luck when it just randomly dies one day within the next couple of years...

That's happened to EVERY single piece of Netgear equipment that I've owned from wireless routers to switches to print servers.

Good luck too because I had no luck with netgear and everytime I deal with support I get someone from India that wants me to pay shipping for their faulty equipment

cgartner
@rr.com

cgartner

Anon

I've actually had good luck with Netgear equipment. I've had a number of Netgear wireless routers and switches that worked well for years until being upgraded. Everyone's experience is different. I've had problems with D-Link stuff while friends swear by their products. I can also say I like TRENDnet USB adaptors when some of their reviews aren't flattering.
jack584
join:2014-07-07

1 recommendation

jack584

said by cgartner :

I've actually had good luck with Netgear equipment.

Same. Ever since I had a Linksys die on me about 8 years ago I've been using Netgear routers and switches exclusively. Recently replaced a 5 year old router not because it broke, but because I wanted an upgrade. Now using it as an access point in the back room of my house to cover my backyard and it still works great.

The Prosafe switches I use have a lifetime warranty if they ever break anyways.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to cgartner

to cgartner
I put that netgear modem on my amazon wishlist as I'll not be buying a Motorola one when I need to upgrade. I've been thru several Moto modems over the years and my 6141 was unstable as heck. Switched to a Zoom 5341j and its been great, I actually hope they release a 16x4 modem before I need one...
bryan85
join:2011-06-30
San Antonio, TX

bryan85

Blame the chipset. Every modem I had with a TI chipset sucked rocks. Broadcom chipsets have always been really stable. I too went through the 6120, 6141, and ended up at the Zoom 5341J. Recently upgraded to the 6183 and it has been more stable than the Zoom!
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

So maybe Motorola finally got their act together... Only reason I've had to reboot my 5341J is to replace my router or when moving stuff around, its went multiple months without rebooting. My moto's would reboot themselves regularly.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

Motorola has been in steady decline for the last several years. Their networking division took a dive after it was spun off to Arris. They ain't what they used to be.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I disagree. The services Motorola has been giving since Arris took over has been superb.
smilepak
join:2002-02-27
Chino, CA

smilepak to cgartner

to cgartner
FYI --

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html

Both are approved by TWC
ARRIS/Motorola
SB6183
up to 300Mbps
View Details
Netgear
C6300
up to 300Mbps

cgartner
@rr.com

cgartner

Anon

Netgear CM500 now officially approved for use by TWC!