spc
Search similar:

uniqs
whooper
join:2014-10-29
USA

whooper

Ethernet Wiring

Does BHN offer home ethernet cable installations? I would prefer not to climb in the attic to do it, but if I have to I will.

Thanks!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Our contractors used to offer this service however I must be honest I do not know where stand on this today as things do change. Where are you located and I will find out.
whooper
USA

whooper

Palm Bay Fl

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to whooper

to whooper
Last time I did this it was mid summer and I sure as hell wasn't getting in that oven of an attic. I found a string and tied a rock to it and after 30 minutes of cursing and screaming because I kept hitting beams the rock made it to the other side of the house. Went to the other access and taped off my ethernet cable to the string and pulled across the attic and was able to fish it down the walls lol.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to whooper

Premium Member

to whooper
I love it!! Awesome idea, wished I had thought of that myself....

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL to kdwycha

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

Last time I did this it was mid summer and I sure as hell wasn't getting in that oven of an attic. I found a string and tied a rock to it and after 30 minutes of cursing and screaming because I kept hitting beams the rock made it to the other side of the house. Went to the other access and taped off my ethernet cable to the string and pulled across the attic and was able to fish it down the walls lol.

Wally173
join:2013-05-08
Lithia, FL

Wally173

LOL
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to DCELL

Premium Member

to DCELL
Am any less of a man if I admit I owned one of these at one time lol

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

1 edit

John97 to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
I like the rock idea! Luckily, my attic has these nice catwalks in place that make it real easy to get around up there. I waited until the middle of winter to do most of it because it's too damn hot.

I used existing coax runs when I ran my ethernet cable. I removed the wallplate, disconnected the coax, tied a string along with the ethernet cable to the end. Up in the attic I went, pulled up the coax, untied the ethernet cable, and had my helper pull the string to bring the coax back down to the room.

At the other end, tied the string to the coax, pulled the string up into the attic, attached the ethernet cable to the coax/string and pulled it back down. Easy, peasy... I ran ethernet to six different locations this way.

Now each spot has coax and ethernet on the same wallplate, nice and clean. Overall, it was pretty painless. I got lucky.

opp
@sprint.com

opp to DCELL

Anon

to DCELL
Could also use cheap little pistol crossbow.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by opp :

Could also use cheap little pistol crossbow.

Um...what could possibly go wrong here? Disclaimer - do not try this at home folks.

opp
@sprint.com

opp

Anon

Blunt the bolt if necessary, saved me a lot of ladder climbing, wanted to go from back of house to front on outside wiring (block house) would have had to go 20' along back then 40' on side (very high in middle) then another 30' in front. Was just inches of space between roof and indoor ceiling there shot string from vent hole in back thru to one in front.
Jeffcoast
join:2012-05-16
Orlando, FL

Jeffcoast to whooper

to whooper
They sell this »www.stanleysupplyservice ··· p/64-015

And one thing I hate about my house is the vaulted ceiling over the living room and kitchen, and the upstairs loft so the walls don't go all the way up. Is impossible to run cat 5 through the attic and down the walls into all of the rooms.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL

Have a Guinness!

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to Jeffcoast

Premium Member

to Jeffcoast
This is hilarious, almost doesn't look real.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL to whooper

to whooper
Just before we went back to BHN for TV service I ran RG6 and Cat 6 to many different places in the house. I actually climbed my fat ass up into the attic mid summer. I mainly used a fish tape though. I wish I had thought of the Popeil, or better yet, the "cable gun" Jeffcoast linked to. The hardest part for me was the connectors...

opp
@clearwire-wmx.net

opp to Jeffcoast

Anon

to Jeffcoast
said by Jeffcoast:

They sell this »www.stanleysupplyservice ··· p/64-015

And one thing I hate about my house is the vaulted ceiling over the living room and kitchen, and the upstairs loft so the walls don't go all the way up. Is impossible to run cat 5 through the attic and down the walls into all of the rooms.

Pretty much crossbow pistil with reel, except crossbow is only a few bucks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to whooper

Premium Member

to whooper
That is an awesome device if it works....

PacketHauler
Premium Member
join:2014-04-11
Rockledge, FL

PacketHauler to whooper

Premium Member

to whooper
If we end up purchasing the house that I'm currently renting, I'm going to wire the rooms with Ethernet. It should be pretty straightforward as almost all of the rooms have coax already: Attach a pull string to existing coax, pull it back up to the attic, attach CAT 5e and coax back to pull string, and reverse the process. Might as well use the existing pathways that someone else already poured blood and sweat into. Good grief it gets hot up there...

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by PacketHauler:

If we end up purchasing the house that I'm currently renting, I'm going to wire the rooms with Ethernet. It should be pretty straightforward as almost all of the rooms have coax already: Attach a pull string to existing coax, pull it back up to the attic, attach CAT 5e and coax back to pull string, and reverse the process. Might as well use the existing pathways that someone else already poured blood and sweat into. Good grief it gets hot up there...

See my post above. That's exactly how I did mine. The only issue you may run into is that if the house was prewired for coax during construction, the coax may be stapled inside the wall to the studs. That's how my house was. But, it was prewired with RG59 (back in 1985). All of that has all been abandoned and there are new RG6 runs everywhere now, and my ethernet cabling follows in the same spaces.

Dougxt
@popsite.net

Dougxt to whooper

Anon

to whooper
That dart gun is to weak and way to expensive. I've used pistol crossbow that I mounted reel to for years, never known a phone installer who didn't have one or a slingshot.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Dougxt :

That dart gun is to weak and way to expensive. I've used pistol crossbow that I mounted reel to for years, never known a phone installer who didn't have one or a slingshot.

Meaning this specific model mentioned here?

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL to whooper

to whooper
Use a 12GA and a slug round with some string tied to it.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by DCELL:

Use a 12GA and a slug round with some string tied to it.

LOL - just what folks need is the swatt team surrounding their house on a simple cable pulling session.

Dougxt
@popsite.net

Dougxt to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Dougxt :

Meaning this specific model mentioned here?

I assume the one I tried was yellow did not seem to even have stronger spring than kids toy. The little crossbows aren't very powerful either especially with plastic dart but get job done. I've heard there is a better gun style one that uses C02 cartridge never used or saw one.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to whooper

Premium Member

to whooper
CO2 concept could be fun
whooper
USA

whooper to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Any luck on finding out?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to whooper

Premium Member

to whooper
On contractors pulling cable for your area. Negative. Was out of office Thurs/Fri but will make a call on Monday.

opp
@sprint.com

opp to whooper

Anon

to whooper
If they don't you could probably find someone on Craigslist.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by opp :

If they don't you could probably find someone on Craigslist.

I have to recommned against that idea...better go with someone out of the yellow pages....