All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
username
join:2014-03-01

username

New DSL Service and VOIP

Just today, an hour or so ago in fact I got my new dsl service hooked up 25/10. Talking with the tech. I informed him that we use VOIP (comwave), for the home phone, so he installed a (what I now know is a POTS Splitter), splitter. I didn't check it til he left, but I didn't have your standard RJ-45 plug.

It was this model infact »comtestnetworks.com/our- ··· plitter/ in anycase I'm not completely useless, I chopped off the end of one of my many wires, plugged them into POTS splitter, then into the voip modem, then ran a CAT5 cable from my Smartrg dsl modem to the voip modem.

The VOIP modem seems to be working, all the normal lights are on, and the dsl modem is providing it internet... »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2785.png .. But when I try and use the phone I don't get a dail tone anymore.. even using the RJ45 connector that the dsl modem is using doesn't give me one.... am I missing something? I haven't had dsl service in years, and there used to be like a muffler or something you needed to put on any jack you used a phone... is that still a thing?

Anyone else had similar issues?
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

coolspot18

Does Comwave actually provide you with a modem - or is it merely an ATA?

If it's an ATA, you shouldn't have chopped off the wires at the POTS splitter...

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

1 edit

Maxx2006 to username

to username
said by username:

I haven't had dsl service in years, and there used to be like a muffler or something you needed to put on any jack you used a phone... is that still a thing?

I believe the new Pots splitters eliminate the need for the filters now.

Edit: I misunderstood you.

Nothing from the pots splitter should be plugged into the conwave modem. You will be using what is called dry dsl no phone from bell.

The RJ 45 from the Dsl modem must plug into a switch or the grandstreams internet port. The other port from the grandstream will goto you computer.

Does your phone plug into the Phone 1 or 2 on the Grandstream?
username

username

I guess its an ATA »www.grandstream.com/inde ··· rs/ht502

Not sure if I explained it right, but there's no actual female plug on the POTS splitter to plug in the voip connection for the phone, just the 2 wire input. I have plenty of RJ-45 cables. Even with just a CAT5 cable plugged into the WAN port I don't get a dial tone.

edit: @ max it only had 2 wires in it. its colour coded, so i put green to green, red to red.. and even tried reverse, and nothing.
phoneman
join:2014-07-13

phoneman

This is how it should be connected.

Line in from demarc --> LINE on pots splitter

Modem on Splitter --> Modem

Nothing on phone on the splitter. The line in from bell should only go to your modem. It can have voltage on it and damage the ATA.

Wires that feed the phones in your house should be connected to the Grandstream ATA.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to username

to username
Do not connect your Voip to the POTS splitter. It's wired to the Bell system and you do NOT want to connect your ATA to that.
username

username

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I was confused because the dsl modem is now using the connector that I previously used for the grandstream (voip). I guess I just have to either run a new line to the phone upstairs, or find the line and discconect it from the demarc?

ShawnS
Business Solutions Agent
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

ShawnS to username

Premium Member

to username
Hello Username,

You may need to configure your Modem.

I've attached a PDF file with instructions that may resolve your issue. These instructions are for ATA's that are connected to a SmartRG in Routed mode.
If you require additional assistance please feel free to post in the »/fo ··· avdirect Forum.

Regards,
Shawn S
username

username

@tsishawn, I applied those changes, only SIP was not enabled. Though it didn't help with the phone.

I'm 90% sure I've found the cable that goes to the upstairs phonejack. Though it has 4 coloured wires. They are currently not connected to the demarc. so I guess I should just wire on a connector then? and plug it directly into the broadstream voip modem?

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006

said by username:

so I guess I should just wire on a connector then? and plug it directly into the broadstream voip modem?

That is it.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to username

to username
said by username:

I'm 90% sure I've found the cable that goes to the upstairs phonejack. Though it has 4 coloured wires. They are currently not connected to the demarc. so I guess I should just wire on a connector then? and plug it directly into the broadstream voip modem?

If you have your Grandstream ATA connected properly, you should have Dial Tone on one of the RJ11 Jacks. This is what you connect to your house wiring, and if that wiring is correct you should have Dial Tone. If not, the wiring is not correct and you will have to Tone it out and fix it.
username

username

yea the bell guy comepletly disconnected the house jacks from the demarc, so I just rewired the upstairs jack to the grandstream ata, and its all working now... thanks for all the replies guys....