All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

The Hobbit
join:2004-09-04
Peterborough, ON

The Hobbit

Business Ultimate 250 Availability

Just wondering if anyone knows when the Business Ultimate 250 will be available in Peterborough?

kinitex55
@cgocable.net

kinitex55

Anon

and how about Burlington?
kinitex55

kinitex55

Anon

nm just called in, it is available in Burlington getting my modem swap done on monday
Reno_William
join:2007-07-18
Peterborough, ON

Reno_William to The Hobbit

to The Hobbit
Probably a year after everyone else
dan991199
join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

dan991199 to The Hobbit

to The Hobbit
c'mon Niagara

The Hobbit
Peterborough, ON

The Hobbit

Its now into July, any news yet on arrival times for other city's?

Coogeecooooo
@cgocable.net

Coogeecooooo

Anon

It's already in some areas of Stoney Creek

The Hobbit
Peterborough, ON

The Hobbit

Has anyone heard anything yet on when other city's will be getting the 250Mbps package?? Especially Peterborough.
Sup3rDave
join:2014-04-16

Sup3rDave to The Hobbit

to The Hobbit
I called the other day to inquire about the 250 package and the customer service rep said just Oakville and Burlington at the moment.

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter to The Hobbit

to The Hobbit
Sorry, no news yet about the availability beyond Oakville and Burlington. We are always looking to expand our services and I will let the appropriate team know about your inquiry.

Thank you,
Peter

The Hobbit
Peterborough, ON

The Hobbit

8 Months since I started the thread and 2 months since my last post, has anyone heard yet if there is a suggested date of arrival for the Ultra 250 .....lol

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to The Hobbit

Premium Member

to The Hobbit
You're in Peterborough, no? Does Bell not have fibre-to-the-home in your area yet? Might be an alternative if Cogeco takes too long to get 250 out that way (of which, I personally wouldn't be holding my breath)

dmas1er
join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er

Bell FTTH in PTBO is still being built. I would say by the looks of things they will start selling FTTH service around spring time 2016.

Most of the main runs are done and the aerial feeds to homes look complete in many areas too.

Basically until bell is done building the FTTH in PTBO, Cogeco does not really have much of a reason to upgrade us to the 250 plans.... Bell still only offers 5meg DSL at my house, even though i can see the FTTH hookup less then 50 foot away

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

They launch FTTH area by area as the work gets done. Once an area get wired and spliced into a CSP it goes live after a testing and shakedown period that can be another 1-3 months. That's what Bell has been doing with their brownfield rollouts in Niagara and Kingston, so I can't see Peterborough being any different.

I'd check to see if it was available before assuming it's not just because the whole city isn't done. In your specific case, it's possible you're right on the border between two wiring areas. I'm right on the border between two CSP service areas as well, but thankfully Bell is doing the areas at the same time. Where my in-laws live they have fibre strung along the back of the houses across the street from them and the service has been live for several months already but nothing for their side of the street, not even any prelim construction.

dmas1er
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er

Good to know... I have been keeping a eye on my area. They still have lots of work going on all over the town.

Assumed that they would start to push the service ads on the local bell owned radio stations and such when done most of the city.

I know letters are now going out to homes in some areas about installing fiber to your house.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

They don't do ads until the entire city is done. But they'll still hook up customers as their specific areas become available. The letters here have been hit and miss. I know some people in the North End got them last year but I haven't got one and Expertech was stringing fibre around the corner from me this afternoon, and Distincttech installed new anchors for messenger wire on the telephone pole in my neighbours yard last week.
docbg
join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON

docbg to The Hobbit

to The Hobbit
I second the OP's question but for the Hamilton area. Has Cogeco ever taken this long for a general rollout of a higher speed? Is their infrastructure in the rest of their footprint really that dated that they can't crank up the dial? Anyone know what the issues are?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It took them a long time to roll out DOCSIS 3 across the rest of their footprint when they had it already up and running in Burloak.

Startuser
@start.ca

Startuser to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

They don't do ads until the entire city is done. But they'll still hook up customers as their specific areas become available. The letters here have been hit and miss. I know some people in the North End got them last year but I haven't got one and Expertech was stringing fibre around the corner from me this afternoon, and Distincttech installed new anchors for messenger wire on the telephone pole in my neighbours yard last week.

Yes Bell does do ads. How about those ads where they advertise Bell Fibe even in areas where there is legacy ADSL only and claim Fibe is available there. There are many stories like this and Bell will even try and upsell Bell Fibe even if there is no FTTN letalone FTTH. The ads are in various forms from advertisements in Bell stores to flyers in neighborhoods. Of course only in Canada and America this is legal because of the Oligpolies.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I've heard of screwups with door-to-door flyers, but I know that they didn't start putting up billboards or bus shelter ads in St. Catharines until ~90% of the city was covered with VDSL. And they *still* haven't done any local advertising in Niagara Falls or Welland because they still have portions of those cities that have yet to be covered.

The Hobbit
Peterborough, ON

The Hobbit

Any news yet on availability in Peterborough ?

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

Unfortunately not. The information has been passed on, but I can't comment on time frames.

Sorry,
Peter

The Hobbit
Peterborough, ON

The Hobbit

Hi, anyone heard any news yet on 250 availability in Peterborugh ?

dmas1er
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er

No news on it.... when I called in.

So I switched;

I just had Bell 1 gig unlimited with TV (good package with PVR included) and home phone for $83 a month for the first year.

Bell is doing some great rates & free installs to get customers on the new FTTH service.

Hope Cogeco gets there shit together, they may not have many customers left in Peterborough.