All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

[Modem/Router] Anyone using Rogers 250 with an Asus RT-N66U?

It appears that this router may not be able to handle the full WAN speed. When I run speedtests in my normal configuration (gateway in bridge mode) my download speed never go above 230 or so. But if I use a direct connection to the modem or if I try in gateway mode I get 320 down.

It looks like the CPU is getting maxed out. I am not the only one having this problem as there are threads at SNB about this. This may be fixed by using certain firmware versions. I am not bothering since this isn't too big a deal since there isn't much practical difference between 230 and 320.

Does anyone else see anything similar?

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

[Modem/Router] Re: Anyone using Rogers 250 with an Asus RT-N66U?

Try Merlin's firmware, if you can't max out with that, the device won't do it.

Tomato FYI can't hit max speeds.
Balin
join:2013-04-24

Balin to wayner92

to wayner92
I had the same issue when I went to the 150/15 package. I use Merlin firmware and had to disable the per IP traffic monitoring to get full speeds.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

I am using Merlin although it is a version from almost a year ago. I don't want to upgrade since that involves a lot of reconfigure from scratch.

How do you disable the per IP traffic?
Balin

Balin

Its under General--> Tools --> Other settings --> Traffic Monitoring section, last item on the list - Enable IPT ( per IP monitoring ), set to no.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

I found the IP traffic monitoring under Tools-Other Settings and it was off.
Balin

Balin

Sorry it didn't help then. I was planning on upgrading my package for the 250/20 unlimited. I may have to get one of the newer Asus routers.
gw280
join:2013-10-01
Canada
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-8

gw280 to wayner92

to wayner92
I was using an N66U before when I first got HF250/20 and had no issues with hitting 325Mbit/s down. This was back in December and I was using the latest stock firmware.

Not using it as a router anymore so I can't check what configuration I had set.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to Balin

to Balin
Yes - although maxing out at 230Mbps rather than 320 Mbps is only going to slow me down in about 0.001% of the situations that I have seen - unless you use something like a fast FTP site or newsgroups that can fully use all of your bandwidth. I have a VPS in Europe and when I do FTPs from the site the best I can get is about 80 Mbps and that is using Bitkenix to split the file up into 50 pieces and run the downloads simultaneously.
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

Does the N66U have the same hardware acceleration setting that the AC68U has? This is located in LAN....Switch Control as shown here:

»event.asus.com/2012/nw/d ··· ent.html

What this really is, is Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding which is proprietary and poorly understood. Consider it as data forwarding at the chip level, from a WAN IP address to a LAN IP address. This function is predicated on little or no processing by the router processor, which includes items such as QOS, Traffic Monitoring and a few others. Enabling any of the functions that require the incoming WAN data to be processed in some manner by the router processor results in the Hardware Acceleration kicking off. If you want to run data over 100 Mb/s, the Hardware Acceleration, aka Broadcom's CTF is required. So the choice comes down to speed versus router functionality. Have a look at the user controls and see if in fact that setting is present on your router and if it is enabled or not.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

The 66 does have HW acceleration but the setting is located in a different part of the UI. But I do have it turned on. I have QoS turned off and I don't see that I have anything else turned on that could be slowing down the CPU.

There is a setting called Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) and it is turned off. Resolve IPs on active connections list: (Can considerably slow down the display) is also turned off.
Ped_Man
join:2004-03-27
Richmond Hill, ON

Ped_Man to Datalink

to Datalink
If you are using Tomato mod you can enable the Cut Through Forwarding feature by typing "modprobe bcm_nat" in Administration->Scripts->Init and restart the router. (»www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· at.69234)

Plus the max WAN speed is around 240 Mpbs if you don't have bcm_nat enabled or 320 Mbps if it's enabled. (»www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· t-247632)
said by Datalink:

Does the N66U have the same hardware acceleration setting that the AC68U has? This is located in LAN....Switch Control as shown here:

»event.asus.com/2012/nw/d ··· ent.html

What this really is, is Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding which is proprietary and poorly understood. Consider it as data forwarding at the chip level, from a WAN IP address to a LAN IP address. This function is predicated on little or no processing by the router processor, which includes items such as QOS, Traffic Monitoring and a few others. Enabling any of the functions that require the incoming WAN data to be processed in some manner by the router processor results in the Hardware Acceleration kicking off. If you want to run data over 100 Mb/s, the Hardware Acceleration, aka Broadcom's CTF is required. So the choice comes down to speed versus router functionality. Have a look at the user controls and see if in fact that setting is present on your router and if it is enabled or not.

Wheemer8
join:2005-11-30
L3S0B7

Wheemer8 to wayner92

to wayner92
We have the same service with the same router running Merlin's latest firmware and it hits 320 all the time.
morpheus69
join:2006-04-17
canada

morpheus69 to wayner92

to wayner92
Also your area might not be upgraded yet to have the extra speed. If the old 150/15 or 250/20 wasn't available before the Ignite stuff, then chances are you have not been upgraded yet. I was in that situation, Rogers (LinkOn) are feeding new infrastructure in but the snow/ice has been delaying things. I'm on the 250u now but max getting around 285/22, and I imagine after they are done will be well over 300.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

No - my area has been upgraded for a while and I do get 320+ with a direct connection.
wayner92

wayner92 to Wheemer8

to Wheemer8
said by Wheemer8:

We have the same service with the same router running Merlin's latest firmware and it hits 320 all the time.

Thanks Wheemer - that is great to know. When I have the time I will have to try upgrading.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

Only time i expect N66U to bottleneck is if you do "torrenting" (for example) and tons of connections.

I doubt you would be able to hit the full speed and keep it steady.

.... but, since you don't do it :P you are good!
Wheemer8
L3S0B7

Wheemer8 to wayner92

to wayner92
I regularly hit 13.5 MB/s download from usenet. Torrents are still pretty fast, but the most I've seen with them is 8-9 MB/s
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by Wheemer8:

I regularly hit 13.5 MB/s download from usenet. Torrents are still pretty fast, but the most I've seen with them is 8-9 MB/s

Either way you are using less than 50% of rated capacity and less than 30% of tested capacity as 13.5MB/s is only 108Mbps.
Wheemer8
L3S0B7

Wheemer8 to wayner92

to wayner92
Well in my testing I was unable to download anything much faster than that... When we first got the service I was trying to download stuff directly from icrosoft to test the throughput... However I have yet to see more than 15 MB/s download.

Are other with this service able to download faster?
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

Maybe there are some local FTP servers at someplace like U of T. I assume you have tried Speedtest.net and Rogers' own speedtest?

But the problem you have highlighted is why I haven't worried about this "problem" even though I noticed it over a year ago. I don't know that I have ever been able to max out my "degraded" 230 Mbps download speed so getting it to actually run at the full speed of 320 isn't likely to provide much benefit.

damir
CANADA

damir

»ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/f ··· 0Gio.dat

Good file for speed test, i get full speed on it (Rogers + DD-WRT + R7000)
gw280
Canada
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-8

gw280 to wayner92

to wayner92
Yes, but remember that when using TCP you're looking at an overhead of ~10-20%, so 13.5MB/s real-world throughput is probably more akin to around 130Mbit/s sent on the wire. Still a bit low, however.

The tested capacity of 300+ Mbit/s is meaningless here though. That's mostly just speedboost in play, and is the entire point of them implementing it

damir
CANADA

damir

I am getting 320-330mbit NON STOP - even if i download files for 2 hours, i am getting 320-330mbit, so, i don't think this is a speed boost, this is what is given to us right now.
gw280
Canada
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-8

gw280

Oh wow, that's interesting. I have noticed some transfers only come down at ~25MB/s which have started off higher but I guess the server was under more load than I expected. Downloading that 10G test file you linked, I'm getting a fairly steady 38MB/s with the occasional dip down to 25MB/s.

100%[================================================================================== ==========================================>] 10,737,418,240 35.4MB/s in 4m 54s

2015-03-09 10:15:23 (34.8 MB/s) - '10Gio.dat' saved [10737418240/10737418240]

damir
CANADA

damir

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to damir

MVM

to damir
said by damir:

I am getting 320-330mbit NON STOP - even if i download files for 2 hours, i am getting 320-330mbit, so, i don't think this is a speed boost, this is what is given to us right now.

It all depends on the area you're in and the density of active users on your node. So yes, some like you get much better consistent results while others get much close to their subscribed plan or very close to the plan. By end of this year high density areas will be much better served as rogers moves to IPTV.

damir
CANADA

damir

Works with me.
Wheemer8
L3S0B7

Wheemer8 to wayner92

to wayner92
I am getting a consistent 22 MB/s download on that file... So I am guessing it must be my n66u router that is the bottleneck.

My speedtests are always 320-325 Mbps

damir
CANADA

damir

I would say so, since its 10GB file, it takes time to download, and N66U is suffering from\to keep up the good work

Try to overclock CPU and give it a try.