Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Lightning 300 Support Thread

Click for full size
In prep for the launch of Lightning 300 I'm going to go ahead and post a few things you need to be aware of and this thread will also serve as non-account specific support for those who choose to upgrade. I have included my most recent BHN speed test result to give you an idea of what to expect, obviously your mileage will vary and I'll do my best to help you get the best experience possible.

Things you need to know

- Lightning 300 uses the Technicolor TC8715 Advanced Wireless Gateway offering MoCA (for Echo) and wireless 802.11ac
- Customers may also bring their own modem. Currently the only two approved modems for this tier are Motorola 6183 or Netgear C6300.
- Static IP is not available for Lightning 300 at this time
- You may bridge this modem and use your own high quality gigabit router if you wish
- Ethernet adapters for all your wired devices MUST be gigabit otherwise you will not see anything higher than 90mbps.
- TCP optimization may be necessary even if you currently have Lightning 150 with no problems. I have included a link to the easiest tool around for this below.
- If you currently have BHN phone service you will end up with two modems when you upgrade as the Technicolor is not an MTA
- Lightning 300 is compatible with Echo AP's however your Echo AP wired speeds will be up to 175mbps wired and up to 150mbps for wireless. Wired and wireless connections directly to the Technicolor modem will see speeds appropriate for the tier level depending on your hardware etc (you know the drill here guys). I'll work closely with you on this one as needed.

The TCP optimization tool link is - »www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Do NOT use this tool unless you have problems and better yet get with me first in this thread if you don't mind. You can cause more harm than good by misuse of the tool and all that will do is drive us both crazy. Always create a backup of your current settings first then use the slider and peg it at 100+mbps and click the Optimal Settings button in the lower right, then apply and reboot your computer.
waternut1313
join:2013-06-13
Orlando, FL

waternut1313

I am interested in Lighting 300. I have a UBEE MTA right now,Is there going to be a truck roll charge to swap out modems llike it was when Lighting 40 came out?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by waternut1313:

I am interested in Lighting 300. I have a UBEE MTA right now,Is there going to be a truck roll charge to swap out modems llike it was when Lighting 40 came out?

Need to confirm but my answer for now is no. If that should change or have a condition applied to it (doubtful) I will let you know.
kjacques1
join:2013-04-05
Windermere, FL

kjacques1 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Do you have a link to the Technicolor TC8715 user manual?

Thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by kjacques1:

Do you have a link to the Technicolor TC8715 user manual?

Thanks.

Sorry but no. Anything related to operations of the device will be covered here as needed however.
genemack29
join:2012-12-02
Lakeland, FL

genemack29

will brighthouse be use the motorola 6183

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by genemack29:

will brighthouse be use the motorola 6183

This was answered in the first post under 'Things you need to know'

- Customers may also bring their own modem. Currently the only two approved modems for this tier are Motorola 6183 or Netgear C6300.

Brighthouse will be using the TC8715 if you wish for them to provide the modem. If you own your own, the 6183 will work fine.
xendrome
join:2009-05-21
Orange City, FL

xendrome to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
So if we currently have the Arris DG1670 (or whatever it is) Brighthouse owned, a truck will roll to install the new modem, correct? I am currently bridged and using own RT-AC68U router.
ethanwa
join:2009-02-24

1 edit

ethanwa to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Hi, I'd like to upgrade this on Day 1 if possible. What would you suggest would be the quickest way to get a new modem and get upgraded? Should I go to the local BH service center and pick one up? Or schedule to have someone come out?

I may run out to Best Buy tonight and pick up the SB6183 too... so that may make it easiest.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

I'm sure Gary will inform, but I could have sworn in another thread that he said either A: yes, definitely a truck roll, or B: Truck roll depending on current tier/equipment, but I would not be sure about rolling to a BHN office. Maybe a direct post to Gary with your CM MAC and he can get it started for ya?

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to ethanwa

Premium Member

to ethanwa
said by ethanwa:

Hi, I'd like to upgrade this on Day 1 if possible. What would you suggest would be the quickest way to get a new modem and get upgraded? Should I go to the local BH service center and pick one up? Or schedule to have someone come out?

I may run out to Best Buy tonight and pick up the SB6183 too... so that may make it easiest.

If you can do customer owned, I would suggest doing that. The 6183 is an excellent choice and will make you future ready for a long time to come.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to xendrome

Premium Member

to xendrome
said by xendrome:

So if we currently have the Arris DG1670 (or whatever it is) Brighthouse owned, a truck will roll to install the new modem, correct? I am currently bridged and using own RT-AC68U router.

Yes a tech is required....you may bridge the modem on your own through the GUI.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to ethanwa

Premium Member

to ethanwa
said by ethanwa:

If you go buy the 6183 tonight just hit me up tomorrow and I will do the upgrade for you.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
40 Mbps over-provisioning...that alone is more than my current connection! Congratulations to everyone who makes the jump when this goes live.

PS Sorry to interrupt a support thread.
ethanwa
join:2009-02-24

ethanwa to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by ethanwa:

If you go buy the 6183 tonight just hit me up tomorrow and I will do the upgrade for you.

Done. Check the private forum and I'll start the conversation. I am available tomorrow morning to get this taken care of.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Got it thanks...

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
join:2005-07-30
Central FL

3 edits

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

If you currently have BHN phone service you will end up with two modems when you upgrade as the Technicolor is not an MTA.

TCP optimization may be necessary even if you currently have Lightning 150 with no problems. I have included a link to the easiest tool around for this below.

Is there a tool for Mac OS X? If not, is TCP optimization needed on Mac OS X 10.10?

Also, I have a DVW-3201b MTA for BHN Phone service. If I were to buy a Motorola 6183 are there going to be any instructions and how to hook it up to the MTA?

I assume the 6183 is the main modem with the UBEE acting as a VOIP appliance. So you have to turn off the modem functions in the UBEE, right?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by RUQRU:

said by BHNtechXpert:

If you currently have BHN phone service you will end up with two modems when you upgrade as the Technicolor is not an MTA.

TCP optimization may be necessary even if you currently have Lightning 150 with no problems. I have included a link to the easiest tool around for this below.

Is there a tool for Mac OS X? If not, is TCP optimization needed on Mac OS X 10.10?

Also, I have a DVW-3201b MTA for BHN Phone service. If I were to buy a Motorola 6183 are there going to be any instructions and how to hook it up to the MTA?

I assume the 6183 is the main modem with the UBEE acting as a VOIP appliance. So you have to turn off the modem functions in the UBEE, right?

That is a very good question....lets go ahead and see how it goes. OS X may do a better job of handling things than Windows does. As for the Ubee you don't connect the Ubee to the Moto, they operate as stand alone modems.
Expand your moderator at work

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
join:2005-07-30
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Lightning 300 Support Thread

said by BHNtechXpert:

As for the Ubee you don't connect the Ubee to the Moto, they operate as stand alone modems.

OK, so I need to split the coax between the two and only connect the phones to the Ubee and the Ethernet cable from the 6183 to my router?
xendrome
join:2009-05-21
Orange City, FL

xendrome to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Any information on Business 300Mbit, in the CFL Volusia area?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

That will be available tomorrow. Different speeds and pricing however. You will need to contact your sales rep for that information.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to RUQRU

Premium Member

to RUQRU
said by RUQRU:

said by BHNtechXpert:

As for the Ubee you don't connect the Ubee to the Moto, they operate as stand alone modems.

Yes....
OK, so I need to split the coax between the two and only connect the phones to the Ubee and the Ethernet cable from the 6183 to my router?

Bacail
join:2010-11-01
Deland, FL

Bacail to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Click for full size
Gary comes through with the hook up, yet again
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Just a caution... be careful what off-net speed tests you use...this is especially important with this new tier because speed tests are not created or maintained equally. If you have any doubts or concerns just let me know and we will test together.
dsrealm
join:2010-06-12
Kissimmee, FL

dsrealm to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
This thread is making me drool.... getting me ready to get new gear and everything...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by dsrealm:

This thread is making me drool.... getting me ready to get new gear and everything...

Hands you a tissue
Expand your moderator at work

djsnafu
join:2010-10-03
Cocoa, FL

djsnafu to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Lightning 300 Support Thread

I wonder why the Motorola 6141 isn't supported? It should be able to handle those speeds.