Search similar:

uniqs
lmamakos
join:2012-12-15
Three Springs, PA

4 recommendations

lmamakos

Atlantic BB IPv6 support?

Anyone aware of plans for Atlantic BB to support IPv6 to their residential broadband subscribers? There was a thread from 2 or 3 years ago mentioned that they're "working on it", but nothing since.
lmamakos

1 recommendation

lmamakos

I can't be the only one wondering about IPv6 plans for AtlanticBB's Internet service? The silence is maddening.
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

1 recommendation

ABBJason to lmamakos

to lmamakos
There is no urgent need to switch to IPv6. I am sure we will when we need to. The whole IPv6 craze of 2 or so years ago has in general died down. I think the end of IPv4 was overstated a good bit.
F34R
join:2007-10-29
Barnwell, SC

F34R

Agreed.
EnerJi
join:2011-02-19
Pacific NW

2 recommendations

EnerJi

said by ipv6movement :

Nice excuse making to deflect from laziness and incompetence.

Well that's unnecessary, isn't it? ABB surely knows much more than we do how many unused IPv4 addresses it has in reserve and how quickly their IPv4 usage is increasing. They are not exactly a high growth industry, so they could have years of spare IPv4 addresses for all we know.
redpenguin
join:2010-06-17
united state

2 recommendations

redpenguin

Also I think with tunneling technologies you could still communicate with IPv6 servers if you really wanted to.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

1 recommendation

ABBJason to EnerJi

to EnerJi
Funny. I don't see that comment, must have been deleted? On a personal note, I always wonder why people are so eager for the IPv6 switch. It doesn't do anything in terms of connection performance. Day to day use will not change for 99.9% of users. It may make static IP's easier to get etc. general policies on IP addresses may become a little looser, but probably not. I imagine most companies will still want to manage IP's to avoid having to purchase a lot of them, even assuming that the price for IP blocks is cheaper due to the larger supply etc.
EnerJi
join:2011-02-19
Pacific NW

1 recommendation

EnerJi

Don't worry, you didn't miss much in that deleted comment!

I agree that IPv6 won't change much for the vast majority of people. I think some people equate an ISP's progress in the IPv6 front with technological progress in general. Demonstrating a leading and forward-thinking approach to IPv6 could give the impression that other, more useful upgrades are also likely to be coming soon, e.g. DOCSIS 3.1, upstream bandwidth improvements (channel bonding), overall speed upgrades, etc.

The other issue is that it's apparently possible to screw up IPv6 deployments such that they cause problems and reduce performance (due to tunneling and such). With all the major IP registries effectively out of IPv4 space, it's inevitable that there will start to be IPv6-only content on the web in the near future. Learning more about ABB's IPv6 plans would help give confidence that the transition will be well managed, and that performance and access to IPv6 sites will not suffer.

Finally, I do think that IP address policies will become much looser, which will be of interest to many power users. The IPv6 address space is SO HUGE that ISPs including Comcast and Time Warner Cable are giving /64 blocks to end-customers, which provides customers with about 4 billion times more addresses as exists in the entire IPv4 space!!!

MysteryMan
@erversolutions.com

2 recommendations

MysteryMan

Anon

The main concern is that IPv4 will run out eventually, which will make IPv4 addresses more scarce which will make setting up new servers/services more expensive. If we transition to IPv6 now then there won't be a noticeable difference or a gap where non-technical people can't easily reach them. Non-techical people don't understand what IPv6 or a tunnel broker is, much less how to set one up on their router so their DVD player and other devices work correctly when the time comes.
lmamakos
Three Springs, PA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 recommendation

lmamakos to ABBJason

to ABBJason
So not a question of switching to IPv6 from IPv4, but to have concurrent support some period of time. I do have an IPv6 tunnel to HE and it mostly works ok. However, non-tunneled support would help avoid the extra hop through a busy tunnel broker for no good reason.

It is coming, and you can see the v6 deployment leading in Asia where IPv4 address exhaust is a larger problem. However, it is a matter of when, not if, IPv6 support is needed in parallel with IPv4 and many or most of your MSO peers in other markets have either deployed it or have plans and are just not ignoring it. I hope ABB has a plan for when this capability will be available for their customers.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

1 recommendation

ABBJason

We are aware of it, and have worked with it, and will certainly be ready to implement it when needed.

SlappyJack
@reliablesite.net

2 recommendations

SlappyJack

Anon

This is laziness on Atlantic Broadband's part.

usuxx
@2001:470.x

3 recommendations

usuxx to ABBJason

Anon

to ABBJason
said by ABBJason:

We are aware of it, and have worked with it, and will certainly be ready to implement it when needed.

Except it is already needed so you're behind schedule.
F34R
join:2007-10-29
Barnwell, SC

2 recommendations

F34R

said by usuxx :

Except it is already needed so you're behind schedule.

Can you explain why it is needed now?
F34R

F34R

It's obviously not needed now, or it would be out there already.
Expand your moderator at work

usuxx
@2001:470.x

2 recommendations

usuxx to F34R

Anon

to F34R

Re: Atlantic BB IPv6 support?

said by F34R:

It's obviously not needed now, or it would be out there already.

Translation.. you're a moron.

FLECOM
Bay Networks Freak
Premium Member
join:2003-03-03
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

FLECOM to ABBJason

Premium Member

to ABBJason
IPv6 means all your devices can be reachable globally... comcast for example is giving out /64s for IPv6... that means each customer gets 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IP addresses

and the ARIN fees are not that much...

ISP / Allocations Initial Registration or Annual Fees Service Category Initial Registration or Annual Fee
(US Dollars) IPv6 Block Size
XX-Small $500 /40 or smaller
X-Small $1,000 Larger than /40, up to and including /36
Small $2,000 Larger than /36, up to and including /32
Medium $4,000 Larger than /32, up to and including /28
Large $8,000 Larger than /28, up to and including /24
X-Large $16,000 Larger than /24, up to and including /20
XX-Large $32,000 Larger than /20

so for example a /24 (or the largest "large" subnet) would give you 1,099,511,627,776 /64 subnets... now I don't know much but I am pretty sure Atlantic does not have that many customers...
lmamakos
Three Springs, PA

1 recommendation

lmamakos

The cost of supporting IPv6 isn't acquiring the IP address space from ARIN; its updating all the infrastructure and back-office systems to support managing both sets of addresses in the network elements and subscriber CPE devices.
lmamakos

2 recommendations

lmamakos

I'd like to bump this again and see if there is any change at ABB in implementing IPv6. While I have an IPv6 tunnel to HE, it tops out at about 20-30Mb/s and native IPv6 support from my ISP is what I would prefer.

W Sumner
@atlanticbb.net

1 recommendation

W Sumner to lmamakos

Anon

to lmamakos
I also came here wondering about this. When Google and Facebook have turned on native IPv6 addressing, you know it's about time your ISP itself, did as well. I don't mess with tunneling currently (I have tried it in the past at various ABB service tiers) because the speed drop is like an above poster mentioned...unacceptable at best. When every device from your fridge to your washing and dryer are wanting network access for "IoT" remote control and monitoring (and most of them seem to not like IP tunneling or proxies one bit, at least where Samsung and LG devices are concerned), something will have to be done sooner rather than later.
rbluff
join:2015-05-12
Aiken, SC

rbluff

I'm going to conclude that it will be "later".
Hehe.