Search similar:

uniqs

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

1 recommendation

xrayman

Two new antennas tuned for band 41

I just got new antennas installed to pick up band 41 at 5 miles from an old Clear cell tower that was converted to Sprint LTE.
The RSRP went from -103 to -93. The RSSI went from -74 to -64.
Before I was using one parabolic grid antenna with an Y pigtail connected to a 341U modem.
Speeds went from around 15Mbps to 23Mbps and better, sometimes a lot better.

Jeffo
join:2009-08-25
Downing, WI

Jeffo

Nice!

I see you have the antennas mounted at 45 and 135 for MIMO spatial diversity. It would be interesting to see real world how much a difference the angle mounting helps VS two antennas mounted normally.

I'm assuming your not using the Y-pigtail connector any longer and each antenna is connected directly to an external antenna jack on the 341U? I have a Sprint/Netgear 6100D with two antenna ports.

I'm in the process of reconfiguring my antenna system. I have a hill in back of my house that is blocking line of site to the tower. I've purchase materials to put up a home made 35' antenna mast up on the hill in back of my house. The problem is that it required a 125' long run of cable. Obviously attenuation is an issue with a run this long so I purchased a custom made run of Draka 1/2-50 feeder cable. Specs on the Draka are a bit better than LMR600 or Andrews Heliax. Definitely not cheap

I'd like to put two antennas up, but I sure don't want to buy another 125' of cable. I wonder how a 2-Way 50 ohm outdoor rated splitter/combiner on the mast would work? Plug each antenna into the spitter/combiner on one side and then the Draka feeder able into the other. If each antenna is pointed exactly the same way at the same tower that is 5 miles away, I should gain signal (3db theoretical max which represents a doubling in signal).

Anyways.. Nice project. I hope to post pictures of mine when complete.

xrayman
Kansas City

1 edit

xrayman

I have installed a splitter/combiner with two antennas at one installation and it only gave a 3 db increase.
The modems that have two antenna ports like the 341U benefit most by two antennas feed by two cables.
I would have never installed 125ft of expensive antenna cable. I use short antenna cables and shielded solid copper cat5E from the modem/router back to the house.
Best of luck with your project. Looking forward to your photos.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

What are you plans when Clear goes dark in November?
Nevermind I reread your op and see you are on LTE.

xrayman
Kansas City

xrayman

For some reason Clear engineering could never get my connection to work after they upgraded the tower to different equipment that supported Sprint LTE. The problem was not with the signal strength because I had better signal after they installed the new equipment. Clear customers that are a half mile closer to the tower still have service.
It has been said that Sprint will offer some type of special deal to old Clear customers starting sometime in June or July. That is just hearsay.
I wonder whatever happened to the Sprint and DISH Trial Fixed Wireless Broadband Service?
»newsroom.sprint.com/news ··· vice.htm
diragono
join:2005-07-21
Decatur, TN

diragono

Sorry to necro the thread, but what grids are you using for band 41? 41 just went live in my area and I currently use a 2.4ghz grid to hit band 25 but would love to convert over tdd lte

xrayman
Kansas City

1 edit

xrayman

2.4Ghz grid works, may not be cut exactly for 2.5 - 2.6 Ghz but works good. Band 26 not so good.
I did go in and cut down my own 2.4Ghz grid to optimize for band 41, but only increased a few db. Not worth the time and effort.
I have installed others using the stock 2.4Ghz grid antennas that work good.
diragono
join:2005-07-21
Decatur, TN

diragono

That's good to hear. I shouldn't need to bother with band 26 as I get a good signal on 25 and hopefully 41 now. I do have a panel antenna that'll cover 26 just incase

Me70000
@safaricom.co.ke

Me70000 to xrayman

Anon

to xrayman
very impressive.the antennas donot interfere with one another ?

srtdodge05
Premium Member
join:2011-10-16
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05 to xrayman

Premium Member

to xrayman
This is the best I got off my phone.