Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gt7697c
Premium
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program

This is not about Live Update for NAV (Norton Antivirus).

This thread is about how to Auto Download the Daily Intelligent Updates, have them installed, and have the .exe file deleted after installation. (If you want to post about Live Update please start another thread.)

Ok, as everyone knows Symantec releases Intelligent updates for NAV almost daily and they generally release updates for LU (Live Update) on Wednesday. Well for anyone concerned about keeping NAV as update as possible then you would want those daily updates. (Yes we all should practice safe computer habits, but then we wouldn't be able to surf the net and DSLR would be empty.;))

Well Symantec has, IMO, gone out of there way to hide how to Auto Download the updates. There is no mention of it when you go to the site to manually Download the updates. So you must first do some digging to find it.

So lets start with this link:
»service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/en···Document

said by Why currently listed virus definitions may not be available for download through LiveUpdate
:

Automating the download of Intelligent Updater files
To automate the task of downloading the Intelligent Updater files on a daily basis, you can use a batch file. See the Symantec Knowledge Base document How to automatically update Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition definitions without using LiveUpdate.
Well that leads us to this link:
»service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/en···08230148
And two files:
Cegetter.bat
cescript.txt

said by How to automatically update Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition definitions without using LiveUpdate:

To modify Cegetter.bat when not downloading the Intelligent Updater file from the NAVCE Primary Server:

1. Right-click the Cegetter.bat file, and then click Edit.
2. Find the following line in the Cegetter.bat file: copy c:\temp\*.vdb

3. Change to the location of the NAV directory on the Primary NAV Server.

NOTE: can either be a directory on the local computer, a mapped drive to the NAVCE Primary Server or a UNC path. You must use short file names. For example:

copy c:\temp\*.vdb x:\progra~1\nav or copy c:\temp\*.vdb \\SERVERNAME\VPHOME

To copy the file into the VPHOME share, you will need to change the share permissions to allow access (Full Control) to the account that Cegetter is running under. The default permissions on that share is "Read" for "Everyone". Any attempt to copy the file to that share will fail unless the permissions have been modified.

If long path names are used, then make sure to enclose all path names in quotations. For example:

copy "c:\temp\*.vdb" "c:\program files\nav"

4. If you are running Windows 9x, then remove the "/q" from the following lines:

del /q c:\temp\*.vdb
del /q c:\temp\symcdefsx86.exe

5. Test Cegetter.bat by executing each command, line by line, from a command prompt. You will see a DOS window showing the progress of the download.
6. Schedule Cegetter.bat to run as often as once daily to get regular definition updates.
So there it is folks, a program which will update NAV with the intelligent updates released Daily. Or at least it should. There is no guarantee that this will work, but it should. I tried the batch file and it downloaded the .exe file to update NAV with, and it did delete the .exe after it was finished.

It unfortunately did not update NAV, however, I do have the updated files for the update to take place. I do not have a default configuration for NAV so I am still doing more work on mine to get it to fully work. [I would like to know, if anyone cares to try this, if it is working on your system.]

Any thoughts, comments, questions, HELP welcome.:)
--
Just my 2 bits.

ELLecTrix

join:2002-03-12
Ardmore, PA

I am totally confused by your post. Don't you have an option for "Automatic Live-Update" on your NAV main window? I checked that the first time I installed NAV 2001, and ever since it has checked for updates automaticaly and opens up a window for me to click on to get the updates. I have given it permission to access the internet in ZA (Live Update Engine COM module, and Symantec Netdetect). It's been the most trouble free virus protection I would want.

Do you mean there's a way to have LU actually download and install the updates without me having to click on any buttons at all?
--
Join Team Helix--> My Team Helix counter

jopfef
Home of the BeaChi Boys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
·Vonage

Ellectrix, not LiveUpdate! This is an "inside" thing that Norton has, called Intelligent Updater.

On occasion, I've had to use Intelligent Updater manually, when a set of file definitions has become corrupted or something like that. If the virus definition files become corrupted, LiveUpdate sometimes is unable to update them the next time around. So, you hop out to the Symantec website, and use Intelligent Updater to get a new set of virus definition files, and Voila'!!! -- LiveUpdate will run again the next time.

Here is the LINK to the Intelligent Updater page. You can see that you can download the virus definition files manually. There are MUCH more regular updates for virus definition files here, than with LiveUpdate. I believe that LiveUpdate's normal updating procedure is on Wednesday, unless there's a virus outbreak, and then Symantec will release new information for LiveUpdate. If this procedure from GT works -- and I am definitely going to set it up on my system and try it -- then your system would have more current virus definition files than what LiveUpdate automatically provides.

Sorta confusing, isn't it??? Seems that Symantec would let LiveUpdate get the most current definition files, no matter what. I guess this saves wear and tear on their servers, particularly since the newer versions of NAV can be set to check for updates automatically.
--
"...If the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit." - Chief Seattle

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive
reply to ELLecTrix

I run NAV 2002 so yes there is an option for Automatic Updates to be checked. However, it is only checking for updates on the Live Update Servers. So if no virus def. updates are there then it doesn't download anything. However if you do as jopfef says, and check Symantec's site manually then you will see that the virus Definitions are updated on a daily basis.

So in order to get them you have to download them manually and double click them. That takes time. I don't want to work for my PC, I want my PC to work for me. So therefore I would prefer a way that automates this process.

I hope that clears up the confusion.:)
----
There is something I am not doing with the batch file. Because for me it will download and extract the files, but it will not move them to the specified folder. But I do have the updated virus defs. just not installed and used by NAV. So there must be some way of getting these files to be used by NAV.
I am going to look into this more in depth on Friday. I think the reason it is not working for me is because I don't have a default install of NAV. I have a custom install, and so I need to figure out where NAV stores it Defs. on my system.

Please post all your results if you try it. Meaning if it works describe what you did to get it to work, if it doesn't work describe how you set it up so everyone can see and maybe pinpoint where the problem is.
--
Just my 2 bits.

dp
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA
kudos:7
reply to gt7697c

Thanks for the post gt! I get all my updates manually, gave up on LU a long time ago so I hope to take a look at this technique when I can free up some time. I'll post any findings when that occurs. It sounds like you are almost there with getting it to work. If it is indeed related to the default install path then I will have the same problem.
--
Write your questions down on the back of a $20 dollar bill and send them to me

dp
Premium,MVM
Greensburg, PA
reply to gt7697c

said by gt7697c:
I am going to look into this more in depth on Friday. I think the reason it is not working for me is because I don't have a default install of NAV. I have a custom install, and so I need to figure out where NAV stores it Defs. on my system.
Just took a quick look at the batch file, "copy c:\temp\*.vdb PATH", did you try and substitute your full path in place of PATH?
--

ELLecTrix

join:2002-03-12
Ardmore, PA
reply to jopfef

Oh, now I get it! Thanks for the explanations jopfef and gt!

I made a habit of running LU every night, since I get online after dinner anyway. Takes 3 seconds.

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium
join:2000-11-10
Huntsville, AL

said by ELLecTrix:
Oh, now I get it! Thanks for the explanations jopfef and gt!

I made a habit of running LU every night, since I get online after dinner anyway. Takes 3 seconds.
You are really lucky. Nine times out of 10 when I run LiveUpdate manually, it won't connect to the Symantec server. It times out and hangs up my machine. So, I don't depend on it to "automatically" update my definitions, because if I can't connect manually, I doubt if it is connecting when unattended.
--
Team Discovery Rocks!!!

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

reply to gt7697c

I've been playing around with the automatic intelligent update per the instructions gt7697c posted, and I think I finally managed to get it to work. The main problem appears to have been that the file specified in the original symantec files is for the corporate edition only, or something similar, so it doesn't work with other versions (I use Nav2002). I went to the ftp site and found what I believe to be the right update file to replace the one originally indicated, and it appears to have worked. Here are the contents of the two files as I have them right now:

cegetter.bat
ftp -s:cescript.txt
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

cescript.txt
open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
lcd C:\temp
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit

If anyone tries these out, I'd appreciate it if you could post and let me know that this in fact does work for you. Also, if anyone knows how to hide the ftp dos box when the update is being downloaded, that would be quite helpful as well.

***Edit***
I figured out that you can create a shortcut to cegetter.bat and then set the properties on the shortcut to run minimized to avoid having to watch the ftp download.
--
Pinky: I think so Brain, but shouldn't the bat boy be wearing a cape?

[text was edited by author 2002-04-18 23:56:29]

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive
reply to dp

DP, I tried both the long and short. The short worked in that it finished what it was doing, but the long path would hang. (By finished the DOS prompt would exit, not hang. NAV never did get the updates.)
----
Zupe

Where is the extract command for the .bat file??? Do you need the extract command or an execute command???? Or does /q execute the .exe.
Did it really update and show the correct date in the NAV UI???
How did you know to pick that .exe as opposed to symcdefsi321.exe??????
How would one run it minimized in Task scheduler??????
--
Just my 2 bits.

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
kudos:3
reply to gt7697c

What I find troublesome about this is that if a user can change the location where NAV picks up a file from, a Virus can do the same and get NAV to go to a different location, pick up a Trojan and run it. Looks like a vulnerability to me. Of course a closer examination might be necessary to determine if that's really the case.
--
You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long.

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive

Could you please elaborate on your thoughts a bit more WCB???? I am not sure I am understanding what you are getting at with, "change the location where NAV picks up a file from".

Are you referring to where it gets its update file from or something else????

If you are referring to a Trojanized .Def file then anything is possible. I would imagine. However, I believe Symantec already has checks in place to prevent anything else from updating NAV unless it is something from them. As Zupe pointed out the .exe mentioned in the article at Symantec is for the corporate version, not the personal one. (Maybe it is and maybe it isn't, I am still trying to sort some of this out myself.)

If anything the default .exe may indicate a weakness in the corporate version, as to how it handles updates.

Now I never invented any of the commands or anything in the batch file, that was done by someone else and the article was in Symantec Knowledge base. So if anything it was approved by them, otherwise it wouldn't appear out in public. However, mistakes have been known to happen so maybe this was one them.
--
Just my 2 bits.

dp
Premium,MVM
Greensburg, PA
reply to Zupe

said by Zupe:
I've been playing around with the automatic intelligent update per the instructions gt7697c posted, and I think I finally managed to get it to work. The main problem appears to have been that the file specified in the original symantec files is for the corporate edition only, or something similar, so it doesn't work with other versions (I use Nav2002). I went to the ftp site and found what I believe to be the right update file to replace the one originally indicated, and it appears to have worked. Here are the contents of the two files as I have them right now:

cegetter.bat

Zupe, when you say working, do you mean you're able to just download the update or download, have your old files auto updated, and then delete the temp d/l? I don't see anything in the batch file to indicate where the files would be copied to after download.
--

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

reply to gt7697c

First, the question about how I decided symcdefsi32.exe was the correct file - If you navigate to the download location at the Symantec FTP site: »ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_···/static/ , there's a text file called update.txt that basically describes each file, and with a little interpretation, points to this as the Intelligent Updater v4.0 update which appears to be the latest one.

Second, as to the question of whether it needs to be extracted, as far as I can tell, the answer is no. The "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q line appears to run and install the update automatically. It's as if you went to a DOS prompt and typed symcdefsi32, which would execute the Executable file. If you remove the /q from that line, you'll see it run intelligent updater and prompt whether you want it to search for a product to update. Assuming you say yes, it then goes and finds the appropriate location and updates the definitions. The /q switch appears to just hide this yes/no question and automatically install the update. The file is then deleted after the update.

As far as running the update minimized: Right click the cegetter.bat file and click Create Shortcut. Then locate the shortcut, right click it and select properties. From the properties dialog on the "Shortcut" tab, select "Minimized" in the run dialog box. To have the update run automatically, just copy the shortcut into your startup folder, or it could also probably be scheduled to run from Task Scheduler (I assume if you directed Task Scheduler to the shortcut, rather than the batch file, it would run it as minimized though I haven't tried that yet).

Wildcatboy, can you elaborate on your comments about the security concerns with this method of updating? As I don't use the Windows FTP command for anything else, I would limit it to the symantec servers in my firewall, so unless someone managed to upload something to symantec which is highly unlikely, I'm not quite sure what real danger this would pose?
--

[text was edited by author 2002-04-19 09:57:34]

ashbestush
I Like---

join:2001-02-26
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Zupe

said by Zupe:

cegetter.bat

cescript.txt
open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit

Couple of comments...

1) The .bat file above assumes you already have a C:\temp folder.

2) I noticed better response from changing the cescript.txt file to point to a mirror site.
Mirrors are:

ftp1.symantec.com through ftp3.symantec.com = WEST COAST
ftp4.symantec.com through ftp8.symantec.com = EAST COAST

Question...

Does anyone have a sense of the time of day (time zone =?) that the updates are normally posted?

ash
--
Rastush, what you like bestush? ...

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive
reply to Zupe

Here is a table I found at Symantec listing what versions the .exe goes to:
»service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/na···13035306
----
I have no idea when they release the daily updates. The two files I downloaded said they were modified at 11:23am and 5:22pm. So does anyone know when they update there files????
--
Just my 2 bits.

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive
reply to gt7697c

Zupe you the man.:)

Just used your refinements to the batch file, and updated NAV. It pulled down the 4-19-2002 defs and updated NAV with out a problem.
Ran LU to check and see if it got them and it did. WOW!!!
(I am going to create a short cut and see if it will run min through the scheduled tasks.)

The only thing we did to do now is figure out good times to run the batch file so that we can get the daily updates. Maybe we should have the batch scheduled to check twice a day rather than once a day. Any thoughts???
--
Just my 2 bits.

dp
Premium,MVM
Greensburg, PA
reply to gt7697c

Great job gt & Zupe! Just ran the batch file and it worked great! Updated the defs and then cleaned itself up, I like it.
--

FiOS Dan
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Redondo Beach, CA
reply to gt7697c

First of all, gt and Zupe let me echo the praise of other posters for such great assistance. I am eager to create the batch file and a shortcut for it, but to do so I have to demonstrate my complete ignorance about batch files (This will be my first "creation" even though thanks to you it really is a cut-and-paste job.). Well here goes--so I paste "cegetter.bat" into Notepad and then save it, but what about "cescript.txt", is it a separate file and if so where do I save it, or is it part of the same batch file? Believe it or not, I think I can actually figure out on my own how to subsequently create a shortcut on my Desktop and/or in my Quick Launch toolbar.
--
"Well, my tail feathers may droop a little, and my waddle show, but I can still out crow anything in the barn yard."

Bobb5
Premium
Kent, WA

Do most of you that use Norton use this Intelligent Updater? Just curious, I have been relying on Live update exclusively. Thanx.
--
Have you hugged your Glock today?

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to FiOS Dan

said by DSL Dan:
First of all, gt and Zupe let me echo the praise of other posters for such great assistance. I am eager to create the batch file and a shortcut for it, but to do so I have to demonstrate my complete ignorance about batch files (This will be my first "creation" even though thanks to you it really is a cut-and-paste job.). Well here goes--so I paste "cegetter.bat" into Notepad and then save it, but what about "cescript.txt", is it a separate file and if so where do I save it, or is it part of the same batch file? Believe it or not, I think I can actually figure out on my own how to subsequently create a shortcut on my Desktop and/or in my Quick Launch toolbar.

You can create both files using Notepad. Just copy the text above under the "cegetter.bat" heading into one text document and save it as cegetter.bat (the name doesn't really matter as long as it's type *.bat). Then open a new Notepad text document and cut and paste in the text under the "cescript.txt" heading above, then save it as cescript.txt (this name does matter, as it's called in the batch file). That's pretty much it, the only requirement is that the cegetter.bat file and the cescript.txt file be located in the same directory/folder.
--

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive

reply to FiOS Dan

Here you go Dan:

said by cescript.txt:

open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
lcd F:\temp
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit
said by cegetter.bat:

"F:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
del /q "F:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"
I thought I would include what my files look like, to show that you don't need C:\temp you can put the temp folder anywhere and it works. You also must create an X:\temp (where x is any partition letter c, d, etc...on your drive or drives), for it to work. I changed mine to my non-GoBack drive so that I wouldn't have GoBack trying to record everything.

Look back up there at what Ashbestush says about the FTP servers, they may make a difference on how fast the download will take. Just substitute those in for the Default FTP servers in the .txt file and all should be well.

Copy the script into notepad and give it this name:
cescript

Hope that helps.:)
Edit
Zupe beat me posting, must learn to type faster.;)
-----
said by Ashbestush:

Does anyone have a sense of the time of day (time zone =?) that the updates are normally posted?
If you schedule it in Task Scheduler you can have start at say 11:30am and try every 4 hours until 12:00am. I think that would ensure you would have the latest updates, and should catch any updates to the updates, if they make any.(If you don't like 4 hours wait, then you can change it to whatever wait time you want.)

Hope that helps.:)

--
Just my 2 bits.

[text was edited by author 2002-04-19 21:24:15]

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive
reply to Bobb5

Most of us just found out about it today. So for some us this is brand new.

Now this little program to download Intelligent updates means that:

1. It bypasses LU to get the updates. Meaning if LU does not work for you then this little program should work. Now most of the posts that I have read have referred to the Automatic Live Update not working or not working properly. So this Intelligent Update Program will work, and you can quit worrying about trying to get Auto Update to work. (In no way am I saying not to run LU manually or what not. I still run LU because you need the program updates.)

2. This little program addresses the problem of not being able to auto download the daily updates. It also puts NAV back up there with the other Major AV players that we talk about here NODE and KAV because they feature something that downloads their daily updates and installs them. So now NAV has the same features.

3. It addresses the problem of manually going and getting the updates and installing them. Hey I am lazy, and I know there are others, so this program is for all the lazy people who would rather sit back and watch paint peel than go and get these updates.;)
--
Just my 2 bits.

Bobb5
Premium
Kent, WA

T h a n k s! gt7697c

dp
Premium,MVM
Greensburg, PA
reply to gt7697c

On my WinME box I had to delete the /q on del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe", it seems that the /q is not a valid switch for the del command. Since no one else has mentioned this I'll assume it's only on WinME.
--

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by dp:
On my WinME box I had to delete the /q on del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe", it seems that the /q is not a valid switch for the del command. Since no one else has mentioned this I'll assume it's only on WinME.

Yes, from the Symantec site and Gt7697c's original post
quote:
4. If you are running Windows 9x, then remove the "/q" from the following lines:

I'm running it on Windows XP, so this was not an issue, but apparently the /q switch is invalid on Windows 95/98/Me
--

FiOS Dan
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Redondo Beach, CA
reply to gt7697c

Failure So Far

Click for full size
Okay I created the batch and text files--deleting the two "/q" entries because I'm running Win98--and placed them in the same directory. Here's how they look:

"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"
del "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit

When I double click on the desktop shortcut I created and follow the progress in the MD-DOS window, it starts out with a "Connected to ftp.symantec.com" line and then >anonymous >invalid command. The remaining entries can be seen in the screenshot.

I'd sure like to get this batch file working, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated--gt or Zupe, are you out there tonight?
--
"Well, my tail feathers may droop a little, and my waddle show, but I can still out crow anything in the barn yard."

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive

quote:

So I would think you need /q on this line:

I would try adding it in and see if it fixed the problem.

Next go to the folder that has both the .bat and .txt file in it and double click the .bat file.

Everything else looks fine.
--
Just my 2 bits.

gt7697c
Premium
The Hive
reply to FiOS Dan

Re: NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program

Dan you might want to try these servers since you are on the West Coast:
ftp1.symantec.com through ftp3.symantec.com = WEST COAST
--
Just my 2 bits.

PK39
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Center Line, MI
reply to FiOS Dan

Re: Failure So Far

Are you sure that you have 'connected to ftp.symantec.com' line?

You should see a 'ftp>open ftp.symantec.com', which mirrors the cescript.txt first line. Then It would connect to the site. And it appears from your screen shot that you aren't connecting to it. Are you behind a firewall? And have you given the proper permissions to access?
--
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."-Steve Wozniak Fold for a Cure!