eburger68
Premium Member
join:2001-04-28

eburger68 to PK39

Premium Member

to PK39

Re: IE-SPYAD & AGNIS Lists Updated

PK:

I've just uploaded a new version of IE-SPYAD. This version includes entries for both * and http, but the http entry points to the Restricted sites zone, not the Trusted sites zone.

I'm doing this just in the off-chance that there's some weird behavior by some versions of IE on some versions of Windows wrt IP address ranges. In other words, it could be that adding an IP address range for * causes IE to automatically add one for http. I'd don't know this to be the case, but just in case such a quirk does exist, the new http entry will take care of it. The new entry won't conflict with the * entry at all, but should deliberately put http into the Restricted sites zone.

Let me know if you encounter any other issues with IE-SPYAD.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

PK39
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Center Line, MI

PK39

Premium Member

Thanks Eric, your IE-Spyad ranks right up there in my book.
And a definite kudos for just one users plight

Like I said it wasn't a concern to me, just rather strange. I'm not sure why the http dword was added. Doesn't make sense, but what does? Certainly not all the trouble trying to tighten up this PC, let alone windows quirks!

When I did delete that entry, it was there in the restricted zone, as intended. Thanks again for addressing it.

Lurkers inc
Don't Call Me Doink
join:2001-10-13
Seattle, WA

Lurkers inc to eburger68

to eburger68
said by eburger68:
PK:

Let me know if you encounter any other issues with IE-SPYAD.

I was going to say something yesterday when I lost access to a few sites I know should have been up. I did not have time to figure out why but the unist reg file fixxed it. Looks like you got it sorted out.

Thanks for all you do.

Paul,

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to eburger68

MVM

to eburger68
Got it. I was just ignorant about Radlight. I am finally up to speed!

Personally, I think we will see MORE need to add sites to the Range list as advertisers get wiser and wiser. This is also important because the Hosts file cannot block IP addresses.

As you know, you should not need to add "http" and "*" -- but I guess this is a case of being safe instead of sorry...

Excellent work, Eric.
[text was edited by author 2002-04-23 16:44:37]

locke108
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
India

locke108 to eburger68

Premium Member

to eburger68

Re: ** Again** IE-SPYAD & AGNIS Lists Updated

when i ran the aaw checker 28 kb file, it said ocx file misssing, not valid ....

any suggestions ?
eburger68
Premium Member

eburger68

Premium Member

nirjhar:

You asked:
said by nirjhar:
any suggestions?
Try downloading the new version 1.01:

»javacool2.freeservers.com
»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· ker.html

If you still get errors, then head on over to the Wilders.org forum here:

»www.security-pro.co.uk/y ··· 19615263

...and post a message for the author, JavaCool.

Eric L. Howes

locke108
Premium Member
India

locke108

Premium Member

said by eburger68:

i did d/lthe new version also.
got the same error.
quote:

i'll goto the wilders forum. thanks for the link..

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Perhaps Comdlg32.dll is just not correctly registered?? This is the "CMDialog ActiveX Control DLL" -- or the "Microsoft Common Dialog Control, version 6.0". As best I can tell, it should be registered with a CLSID of {F9043C85-F6F2-101A-A3C9-08002B2F49FB}.
eburger68
Premium Member

eburger68

Premium Member

Hi All:

I've made yet another update to the AGNIS & IE-SPYAD block lists. I hope that this update will be the last in the recent flurry of updates.

The only thing that's been changed in this update is the series of entries for Radlight. Given that Radlight has apparently added a very clear warning about its uninstallation of AdAware, I have decided to disable the Radlight entries in both IE-SPYAD and AGNIS. Disabling the entries means that I have "commented out" the relevant entries, thus preventing them from being merged into the Registry by default.

The entries for Radlight do still exist in both AGNIS & IE-SPYAD and can be re-enabled if you so desire. That will be your choice and your decision, however.

In IE-SPYAD, scroll all the way down to the "Radlight Special" section at the bottom of the document. For AGNIS, goto the "original" versions of the block lists in the \ORG directory and edit one of those files. See the ReadMe for AGNIS for more information on working with all the various versions of the AGNIS block list. (By default, the AGNIS.BAT batch file installs "straight" versions from the \STRT directory).

Let me be clear about my position on Radlight. I'm still not happy with Radlight's behavior vis-a-vis AdAware -- in fact, I think it's obnoxious. The Radlight developers have other means available to them to protect their adware supported program without uninstalling AdAware. That they would still choose to uninstall AdAware -- even in the face of the outcry they've faced -- leads me to suspect that their reasons for doing so go well beyond any mere need to protect their own adware supported program.

Nonetheless, Radlight does now have a clear warning that appears before AdAware is uninstalled, and users can make the choice for themselves as to whether that is acceptable behavior. I think it stinks, and I would encourage you to shun Radlight until its policies on AdAware change. But it is not and has never been my intention to use these block lists to punish developers for merely unpalatable software.

If the Radlight case does take a turn for the worse, I will be more than happy to re-enable those entries.

If you have any questions regarding the above, please don't hesitate to ask.

Eric L. Howes

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

Very proffessional of you to leave your emotions at the door and do the right thing. That puts you on the high grounds.

I agree with you that Radlight's deverlopers have reasons beyond simply protecting their software, I suspect it's an irrationaly emotional one.

Thank you for the update!

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to eburger68

MVM

to eburger68
I have to agree. I cannot condone Radlight's decision to force users to uninstall a given program -- it would be akin to a CBS station "installing" NBC programming (OK, a far reach). However, if they ARE giving users a clear warning before doing this, then it is truly the user's choice as to which program they want on their computer. I think the original covert mechanism was simply unconscionable and I hope it is not a trend that we will see more of...

locke108
Premium Member
India

locke108 to R2

Premium Member

to R2

said by R2:
As best I can tell, it should be registered with a CLSID of {F9043C85-F6F2-101A-A3C9-08002B2F49FB}.
holy cow !
i think i remember deleting a similar Activex/COM entry when i ran the NSW 2002 One button System Checkup !!
NSW said that there were 2 invalid entries . So i deleted them.
that lousy NSW 2002 !!

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to locke108

Premium Member

to locke108
said by nirjhar:
said by eburger68:

i did d/lthe new version also.
got the same error.
quote:

i'll goto the wilders forum. thanks for the link..
Did that and got another error.
I never had a disk called default.
eburger68
Premium Member

eburger68

Premium Member

rfhar:

You wrote:
said by rfhar:
Did that and got another error.
I never had a disk called default.
That's a heck of an error message! Never seen that one before. OK, I'm guessing that this is still a DLL/OCX dependency problem and that Windows wants you to insert a CD-ROM of some sort so that it can pull the required files off the CD-ROM or other installation media. That's just a guess.

As I haven't even run this utility myself, I'm still going to say that your best bet is contacting JavaCool. Seems that his utility has a number of dependencies and they're causing problems on various systems.

As I didn't write the program I'm not sure what else I can tell you.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to eburger68

MVM

to eburger68

I continued to get one error message after the other, even after trying to follow your directions, Eric, and I have decided to just give up on Javacool's program for the time being. If I have to fight to get something on to my system, I don't. If it belongs there, it lets me do my thing. If it doesn't, I won't. There are too many DLL or other dependencies in his program for my liking or my system's liking. We've run for the hills on this one!:D

locke108
Premium Member
India

locke108 to eburger68

Premium Member

to eburger68

lol

i d/l the cab file suggested by spy1 in the wilders.org forum.
when i tried running a virus scan on the cab file in the winzip window, i got an error message saying that the file was corrupted..
I will try d/ling it once agian, but i have pretty much lost all hope of running the file checker on my Home PC