HRM
God Bless America
MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT

HRM

MVM

I lapped my heatsinks yesterday, Results here

I was setting up a new system, and decided to lap my heatsinks. My vantec 6035 was running an 1800+ around 44C while crunching seti before I did it. After I reinstalled it it runs at 38C under full load. That heatsink had a little hollow right where the CPU went. It was flat everywhere but where the CPU touches..I'm happy with that one. Even when I switch the CPU fan volts to 7volts and stop the thing from screaming, it stays around 41C. This morning after a running all night it was running 38C with the fan speed slow again.
The stock heatsink that came with the 1900+ retail box first ran at 44C while crunching, once I lapped that it also went to about 38C..

Does it make a difference. The 1800 would not run for long at 138/138 crunching and surfing at the same time... It would never even post at 142/142. After lapping I tried and posted it at 142/142. Now, not only does it post, but it runs super stable there now. I always thought I had a hot spot on the chip, and the lapping helped greatly.
qwert9999
join:2001-06-27
Port Richey, FL

qwert9999

i know it helped me. i lap everything. but it does take a while to do a good job. i did my C-orb, that thing wasn't even close to flat.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-02 18:18:03]

paul
Granpa Paul
MVM,
join:2001-07-14

paul

MVM,

So how does one go about lapping a hsf? Like I need another thing to do...

Paul

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

Just look in the OC Forum's FAQ's for Lapping

tencz51
Kats The Man
Premium Member
join:2000-07-06
Ocala, FL

tencz51 to HRM

Premium Member

to HRM
good reminder to the peeps HRM bout lapping . your posted results shows the benefit of lapping . myself , always lap . even private customer gets lapped heatsink with or without their knowledge . lapping is just that important an issue to me .

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
Darien, CT

HRM

MVM

This is what I did.

I used four different sandpapers (fine emery, 320, 600, 1200) and a piece of window glass. I have only so much patience and time on my hands.

The fine emery will leave scratches if you press hard...deep ones, but if you press lightly, they aren't so deep. Do not start with this one, you might not need it, but if you have a very bad situation, this will save loads of time.

First, try the 600. Like all the articles say, but if you see a deep hole that is not getting sanded at all like I did, use the emery and get it almost all the way there. Press very lightly and unless you have a really bad one. If you press too hard you will make the job worse, it will take you longer and you will flame me. If you do this properly, only if you NEED to, you will save time.

Basically just keep using finer and finer and then use brasso or some other polish, Wash it well (that black stuff is metal) I used a hair drier after I shook it, then let it cool/dry.

This worked for me, about 25 minutes for each. I am certain many people do a better job than I do, have cooler temps and a better looking shine. I am a believer in diminishing returns, and one hour for two HS seems about right to me. Every extra minute you take will improve your results, but I am very happy with the shine and appearance. At the end I rubbed it with a clean cotton shirt and scratched it so i had to polish again.

Good luck
HRM

HRM

MVM

Update.(words of encouragement for the work ahead)

My vantec now officially crunches at 38C with the delta wired at 7 volts. If I switch it to 12 volts, it crunches at 35C...The box is 25C either way.

When people used to post those temps, I thought it was impossible.

Maranello
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA

Maranello to HRM

MVM

to HRM

Re: I lapped my heatsinks yesterday, Results here

lapping good.... lapping very good i lap everything... i use wet papaers in this order... 850, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3200 and finish it off with mothers metal polish..... mothers is good for gettin the famous amd impression off the bottom of your hsf too

xxxSPACExxx
In Deep
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29
3rd Planet

xxxSPACExxx to HRM

Premium Member

to HRM
I lapped my three today. Temps dropped 3C right away. I expect the temps to drop more after the ASII cures. :):)

rflack50
Wacko
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Sacramento, CA

rflack50 to HRM

Premium Member

to HRM
HRM your gonna be upset when I tell you what my temps are running at...:P I have the XP1800 as you know, and the same 7v mod (without the switch), and mine runs at 36*C under load from Folding at home whitch raised my temps a few degrees hight than when running seti. I lapped my CoolerMaster HHC-001 HSF before I installed it. Now if I run without a load I get 32*C...:P I'm really happy with all the mods that I have done so far, but like you I'm thinking about adding a switch to mine.

P.S. My brother is having temp problems with my old 1.4GHz t-birdie (go figure). In a generic case he was running at 52*c with the volcano 6Cu+ running full tilt boogie. I put it into a Antec SX1035B case tonight, and it's now running at 45*C, and the fan is modded to run on 7v. Tomorrow I will buy a CoolerMaster HHC-001, lap it, and see how low I can get the temps. We shall see...

Fold, er a Crunch on faster, and faster my friend...

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
Darien, CT

HRM

MVM

We are not that far apart...
said by rflack50:
HRM your gonna be upset when I tell you what my temps are running at ........I'm thinking about adding a switch to mine.

Now why would I be mad...If you need help with the switch let me know. (seeing as you told me how to wire 7 volts in the first place, I own you BIG!)

BTW: These are OC temps. I don't know what the temps would be at stock speeds. The switch is good to push up the FSB. If I crank the fan up, I can OC more. If you leave it at stock, I wouldn't bother with the switch.
Xspector8
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03

Xspector8 to rflack50

Premium Member

to rflack50
where did you get the systray temp things

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
Darien, CT

HRM

MVM

One is MBM5,

»mbm.livewiredev.com/

Another is CPUcool

»www.podien.onlinehome.de/

EDIT: I added pictures of the HS half way lapped. Notice how the scratches are not being sanded yet in the depression on this Volcano7+
[text was edited by author 2002-05-27 12:29:38]

crane
Premium Member
join:2000-12-31
Sebastian, FL

crane

Premium Member

I've went as far as using a file to get the high ,outside edges somewhere close to the concave center .