Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

Enter, and sign in please

I was reminded by one of the mainstays here (hounded for hours, actually) that it's been more than ninety days since the last time we invited the more recent converts to the Cause members to introduce themselves. There are a hell of a lot of 'new' faces around here...about time we got to know all about you
--
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

test edit

jcallari
The future is unwritten.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-05-19
Verona, NJ

Hello... My name is John, and I am a recovering
Windows user.

I've had my TiBook for one month, and am happily
converted to the Mac-side.

My wife works in a school, and has been using
Macs for a LOOOONG time, and she has finally
rubbed off on me.

That's my brief story.

John

manx6
Premium
join:1999-12-05
Algonquin, IL
reply to tmpchaos

I've been in the Apple camp since 1978. (Apple II+ S/N 1820) First Mac was the Mac 512 (with the engraved signatures of the original Mac team inside). Latest is a custom build QuickSilver G4, 833Mhz, 1GB ram, SuperDrive, GForce3, etc. In between were a 512E, IIsi, IIci, Performa, and a 7600. I still have them all and they all still work.
--
Redback? I don need no stinkin Redback!

MacThrasher
Premium
join:2002-04-26
Chagrin Falls, OH

Hi.
I have been using Apple's since... err... the Apple ][.
Had a Mac when it was released in 1984. Mac 128K. Then went SE. Then got a PowerPC (still have it). Then PowerBooks. My latest. TIPBG4 667/30/512. Never sold the old stuff. Just found a way to fit it in
--
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

imeridian

join:2001-09-29
Chambersburg, PA
reply to tmpchaos

Hi, I'm indi, and I'm a *nix nerd.

I've had my iBook for officially a month and I adore it. I think most have a pretty good clue about me though as I've been attempting to participate and help out -- bring my *nix experience in exchange for mac os info!

Me though, the person: I'm the moody, elitist, artsy photographer, painter, code h4x0r, beatnik, poet, who likes to sleep until 4pm sometimes - since I'm 'my own boss' (hosting company bot) I can do that.
--
-indi
indiboi alps pfws

Riceman619$
Eat, Bark And Be Hairy
Premium
join:2001-08-07
San Diego, CA
reply to tmpchaos

Hello. :)

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm a Mac-a-holic.

My first Mac was a Mac Plus which replaced my Apple II+ (Whiled away many an hour playing Karateka and Lode Runner)

I currently am the proud owner of over 70 Macs, from my original Plus, through my current G4 including the 90 percent finished iMacquarium.

I'm lucky enough to earn my living on Macs as a consultant and I worked for Apple as a Contract Developer and also was co-owner of an Apple Authorized retail store (until my *%&# bastard partner pulled out).

I love this place! Best, most helpful Mac forum anywhere!

-Riceman
--
My dog ate my .sig

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to tmpchaos

Re: Enter, and sign in please

Hello everyone. My name is Robert.

I have been a Mac user since first touching a MacPlus in high school, way back in 1990. I have been a Mac user ever since.

My Mac usage: MacPlus, PowerBook 145B, PowerMac 6500, and now use a PowerMac G4/400.

I am in the Navy. On my last ship, I was fixing and maintaining PeeCee's (yuk). Now, I am fixing and maintaining tactical computers using HP-UX.

I have converted my wife to using Macs. She will never go back to Wintel.

--->Robert
8-)
--
"Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers." -Anonymous

rmartin123

join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH
reply to tmpchaos

Hi am a PCer who also loves Mac. I have several older Macs which I get from local auctions and such but I did purchase a new QuickSilver G4-Dual 800 a few months back and love it. Little disappointed that not only are Macs more expensive anyhow but the Dual 1000s came out just a few months later and at much lower price! hehehe but I guess thats what I get for wanting the current high end at the time

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
reply to tmpchaos

Ok, TX...I hope you're taking down all the names...

Riceman619$
Eat, Bark And Be Hairy
Premium
join:2001-08-07
San Diego, CA

It's a trap! :P

I knew it, I knew it!

Oh, sure. It always starts with a simple introduction. Next thing you know, you're posting occasionally, maybe reading the FAQ now and then...

Next thing you know *peer pressure* kicks in and you feel guilty for every spare CPU cycle that isn't crunching RC5 keys...you go off on vacation and worry "Did I leave RC5 on?"

Well, I'm strong. I can resist the clever little cow icon. Remember kids, Just Say no yes. Install the bovine client, crunch keys. All your friends are doing it.

What was I saying?

-Tim
--
My dog ate my .sig

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by Riceman619:
All your friends are doing it......What was I saying?
I think I heard something like that when I was a kid......

The first one is free kid, All your friends are doing it.

imeridian

Chambersburg, PA
reply to Riceman619$

Hehe, I need to keep looking for aliens :-p

Smitedogg
Uzbekikitty
Premium
join:2000-11-11
Pueblo, CO

I am Dogg, a long time *nix geek who got a Mac since the One True Way merged with the other One True Way with OS X

I don't think I've been here 90 days, I'll have to find the receipt from my PowerMac to find out when I started coming here. Can't say I've ever even had any real problems other than buying the damn thing (Stupid Circuit City.....). I love it, and I love OS X, and I'm too strong to bow to the Moorines :P

Dogg
--
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich. --Napoleon

UltimateTech

join:2002-03-19
Portland, OR
reply to tmpchaos

Re: Enter, and sign in please

UltimateTech - Tech because I work for dsl line provider and Ultimate because I'm damn good at what I do. Came to DSLR looking to help customer's in my spare time when I can, stumbled upon ATM since I'm a total Mac newb and need lots of help. I've a wintel guy for about 8-9 years and have dabbled in Linux just for fun. Wanted to get a Mac so I could learn the OS to better help some of my customer's and to make myself more valuable to my employer. Went with the iBook because I needed wanted a portable at the time I was looking around and now Apple is starting to grow on me. I still love my windows box and I love my iBook. I say why fight about which is better, they both have their good points and bad. I guess I'm just a big ol' tech whore

thehyper1
Premium
join:2001-11-05
Birmingham, AL
reply to tmpchaos

I've had a Mac since 1984. Used to sell them. Before Macs I had an Apple ][+ and a //e. Much time was wasted on the original Castle Wolfenstein.

The original 128k Mac got me through college. Since then I've been through several generations: 603, 604, first PPCs, G3s and now a G4. Almost all continue to function in one capacity or another. I'm on the G4/400, my wife has a blueberry ibook, my daughter is using the G3/266 MT. All are networked through the Linky to the DSL. Others are tucked in closets and pulled out for special purposes on occasion.

I am forced to use WindowsNT at the office. So it should be pretty obvious that I would enjoy coming home to my own little Mac-world.

Later...
hyper
--
Hey y'all... Watch this!

smithsc

join:2000-11-06
Bossier City, LA
reply to tmpchaos

Hello, everyone. I'm Steve Smith and I'm an Apple Addict.

My first 'puter was a Texas Instruments 99/4A in 1982. (toy.) Then I bought an Apple //e back in the day when the computer store gave us a new owners' class. I got weak a few years later and bought a Radio Shack PC/XT clone. I had a 300 baud modem and got online with Compuserve, chatting with people on the "CB Simulator."

When I came back to my senses, I sold that and got a Mac SE. Several all-in-one Macs later, I bought a Powerbook 3400. ($5,000.) When I got over that, I finally got an iMac. (600 mHz G3.) I'm lusting after the new iMac, but got this one just three months before the new one came out, so I'm stuck with it for a while.

Got DSL a couple of years ago and here I am!

/nosig

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to tmpchaos

peaboy

join:2002-01-20
Bethlehem, PA
reply to tmpchaos

Hi. I'm Peaboy, and my first Mac was a IIcx at work. In those days, my employer let us choose Mac or Wintel. Sorry those days are gone; only Wintel allowed now. At home I've owned a Power Center 120, blueberry iMac 333 MHz G3, and now my pride and joy 800 MHz G4 flat panel iMac.

I mostly lurk because you folks know so much more than me about Macs and networks. I greatly appreciate your knowledge and helpful attitude in this forum.

YearZero4
Heavy Metal Bakesale
Premium
join:2001-08-28
reply to tmpchaos

Hello all my name is Andrew

I too much like the rest of you are mac addicts... I grew up with an Apple ][ E playing dr j and larry bird for hours, my dad was a high school teacher who insisted on having macs in his room from day one so I grew up around them and went all over the country to the conventions during the summers. I then moved on to a mac 3400 for $5000 which I regret now because it was a load of cash wasted...I still have it laying around running some programs....now I work with a Powerbook TI which I adore fully since OS X came out which I consider to be one of the best OS ever made on one of the best computers ever made. I also use wintel which I am going to try and phase out of my life in the next six months...all the reboots and updates piss me off....
--
"People seem to like it when things are bad, but things are good"- Local H

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to tmpchaos

time to bump this up

You all make me feel like a newbie...my first mac was a PB 5300. I started out with an Emplant board, which emulated a Quadra 950 in an Amiga (faster, BTW, than an actual Q950)...so I'm a much more recent 'convert'.
--
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...
***FAQ***

imeridian

Chambersburg, PA

hehe, well, I've only had my ibook for a tiny bit over a month -- only other Mac I'd ever used was a POS something running OS 7 back in High School. (I hated that thing, put me off anything apple for years).
--
-indi
indiboi alps pfws

MrNo

join:2001-05-05
Chicago, IL
reply to tmpchaos

I got my iBook for about 5-6 months now. It's sluggish with OS X but I like the interface and the whole Mac user concept. I don't run RC5 though I run seti@home

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to tmpchaos

Well, maybe I'm sorta new posting here, but I've been lurking for a while and don't normally post about stuff I don't know anything about (ok, maybe not).
I started with an Apple][-minus back in 1978 and got my first Mac in February of 1984. Still figuring out OSX, and yes, my beige G3 and 733 G4 towers both run RC5.

newton11

join:2002-03-11
Victoria, BC

My name is Graham and this is my fourth decade on a Apple starting with ][+ then Mac SE, then PB 140 (my first not parents) then LC 630 then Umax C500 then QS G4 733 bought in Feb 2002.

I just lurk mostly

zudokieman

join:2001-08-23
Chattanooga, TN
reply to tmpchaos

I'm a Network Admin for a small company. I am a *nix addict and since OSX is based on the Mach kernel and BSD, I had to try it out. So I bought a G3 powerbook on Ebay and have been enjoying it since. My favorite feature has to be the terminal. My new boss is now forcing me to sell my soul to Billy-Boy and I am not not happy about it.

prwood
Premium
join:2001-09-04
Danvers, MA

reply to tmpchaos

Hi, I'm Peter, a Perl developer from the Boston area. I got into computers relatively late in the game. My first computer was a Mac LC in 1991. Next was an UMAX SuperMac J700 in August 1997, for high school graduation. Most recently I got a Apple PowerBook G3 "Firewire" in January 2001. The LC is in the basement back in my childhood home in Ohio. The other two I still have - the J700 is now running Mandrake Linux and serves as a server for me and some friends: »woburn.dyndns.org/ . The Pismo I use for my day-to-day stuff. It triple boots Mandrake 8.2/MacOS 9.2/MacOS 10.1.4.

Macs don't really play a part in my day job. I have a Dell/Win98 box on my desk and our web/database servers are Sun boxes running Solaris. That's why I hang out do research on the All Things Macintosh All Things UNIX forum during the day.

In my off-time, I am the website and maillist admin for the MacWoburn user group. I also do some presentations at the group from time to time. I'll be doing a presentation on MacOS X for the Boston Linux & Unix usergroup in August.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-07 09:21:23]

Gruyere

join:2001-09-20
Milwaukee, WI
reply to tmpchaos

I've been posting for a while but never introduced myself:

I post as Gruyere and like to keep all my usernames as names of cheeses. I name each of my hard drives after a different body fluid. Consistency is the key to remembering all the myriad things that I do.

I am an otolaryngologist/head & neck surgeon and have been using Macintosh since 1984 and Apple since the late 1970's. My first computer was a gigantic box called the Commodore PET (circa 1977)and it was good for BASIC and a cool Star Trek game. In college I used something called a IBM Selectric Typewriter and then a Commodore 64. At this point in time my sister and brother were crunching away on their Apples (and Franklin Ace Apple II clone).

1984 came and I bought Macintosh early on. I bought one for my sister because they were available at my college bookstore. She went on to graduate with a CS degree and program for the Macintosh. She authored one of the most popular Macintosh email programs that most of us have used ad nauseam.

Over the last twenty years I've owned several iterations of Macintosh, and currently at home I have a B/W G3 desktop and a Pismo PowerBook both running OS X. I am trying to hold out for the G5 as my next computer (the B/W is still doing me well).

I first discovered DSLR when I was researching broadband options. I found this forum and after lurking for about six months, discovered that it is one of the most learned Macintosh User Groups out there.

eakes

join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX
reply to tmpchaos

I am a retired microwave telecommunications system engineer. Designed and implemented microwave and lightwave communications systems for telcos and private businesses for 30+ years.
My first computer was a HeathKit in 1976. Assembled both computer and monitor. Next was an Apple II+. The first Mac was the 512k 'fat' Mac. Over the years have had a number of different Macs. The latest are two Power Tower Pros, one with a G3 update card and the other with a G4.

Would like to try OS10.x, but X doesn't like either of my two Macs and I have found no compelling reason to upgrade to a new computer. I detest command line computing so the Terminal function is not for me.

The X
Premium
join:2001-10-29
El Monte, CA
reply to tmpchaos

Hi everyone I am Andrew I have been using Macs back since the classic days. But currently at work I use a 733 Digital Audio two dual 533 servers and two 533 servers and a 500 MHz Tibook. and I have about 900 other macs that I responsible for. I am the network admin for a high school in my area. But right now between work and school I am trying to learn unix and and teach myself some programming. And since that pretty much has me covered for about 16 hours a day all I do other then that is sleep.....

djm61
Change? HAH

join:2001-06-20
Simi Valley, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to tmpchaos

OK here goes!
My name is Dave and I am an Apple-a-holic!
My addiction started in 1981 with a used Apple ][+ and progressed from there to a ][e, a ][e Enhanced, an Apple III, a Lisa, a Mac 512, a Mac Plus, an LC I, an LC III, an 8100/100AV, an Imac Rev. B, and a Wallstreet Powerbook. Also inhouse I have a Beige G3 MT that belongs to my son.

I will shortly be building a twin Dual 1gig Quicksilver video workstation for a movie I will be working on in the fall of '02.

My addiction is under control, really it is!

Dave
--
Microshaft- What would you like to re-install today???