jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

Need help removing McAfee!!!

I'm working -- via Radmin -- on a system belonging to a friend of mine in NY. She's got an older system, originally W95, now W98SE, 250mHz, 128MB RAM, 4G hard drive. She's been trying to get McAfee off there so that she can install Norton for antivirus protection.

There is nothing in Add/Remove Programs except McAfee VirusScan, and it comes up with an error when you try to uninstall it: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is not available."

There are no McAfee folders in Program Files, and I can't find anything else on the system that will let me uninstall this. It's stopping her from installing Norton.

I need help getting this off here, please! I think someone deleted instead of uninstalling, and I need help in cleaning up her system.

THANK YOU!!!

LBadvance
join:2002-04-27

LBadvance

Looks like they just manually deleted the folder and not by using the add/remove function. Ok there can two ways to remove it.

Does she still have the mcAfee cd with her? If she does, then good. Reinstall mc afee, then uninstall it after. And ur problem will be all fixed.

Or u could delete it from dos. Not an expert myself at dos.
Hope this helps.
---
edit: if all fails then u could always back her files up and then reformat if its not too troblemsome

Maybe there is a corrupt registry, use a prgram like regcleaner to "clean" ur registry.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-11 23:54:23]

Time Out$
Premium Member
join:2002-04-28
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$ to jopfef

Premium Member

to jopfef
First do what LBadvance is suggesting to get that back in the Program file then...

See if this will help for Win 98.. if not let us know.

»helpdesk.uconn.edu/virus ··· all.html

Uninstalling McAfee
[text was edited by author 2002-05-11 23:56:40]

LBadvance

LBadvance to jopfef

to jopfef
wow TIME OUT u joined one day after me and u already have 400+ posts!

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to LBadvance

MVM

to LBadvance
I've already downloaded and installed three registry cleaners: Microsoft's RegClean, jv16 PowerTools, and EasyCleaner 1.7. All three have been run, and the McAfee is still there. None of the registry cleanup programs caught any McAfee stuff.

Off to check the link!

She has been nice enough to leave her system on tonight, so that I can work on it from here. Bless DSL here and RoadRunner there!

pcguy
join:1999-10-15
Winnipeg, MB

pcguy to jopfef

to jopfef
Try going to www.mcafeehelp.com and taking a look at the manual uninstall instuctions. You will first ave to indicate which versionof McAfee you have instgalled in the pulldown boxes on the leftof the screen.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to Time Out$

MVM

to Time Out$
TO, the link would work great if the program was still there! I'm certain that someone just deleted that folder instead of uninstalling it. It ain't nowhere to be found on that system.
jopfef

jopfef to pcguy

MVM

to pcguy
PCGuy, should I take a shot at what version was installed??? The owner is NOT computer literate. Has no idea what version of anything, and someone has "done" the work on her system for her. Obviously, not too well!

I'll pursue the manual removal. I don't have a problem ratting around in the registry...!

Time Out$
Premium Member
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$

Premium Member

Ok...here is some manual uninstall info to find those files

What version was on that system????

manually uninstalling McAfee McAfee VS v4.0.3
»www.computing.net/securi ··· /85.html

»www.wellesley.edu/Comput ··· tml#vs34

Installing McAfee VirusScan 4.5.1 Across the Network (and Uninstall others versions)
nottoobad
join:2001-09-25
Houston, TX

nottoobad to jopfef

to jopfef
There is a McAfee document entitled "This document explains how to manually uninstall McAfee VirusScan 6.0". This document is four pages long and requires that you edit the Registry.

Sorry I do not have have the site reference as it was e-mailed to my by a McAfee tech. Go to »www.mcafeehelp.com/ and click on "contact a live technician". Ask for above document.

Time Out$
Premium Member
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$

Premium Member

This one especially looks like it hits all the right places for 4.x(versions) if you just follow all the steps.

To remove VirusScan without using the uninstall utility, follow these steps:

»www.uvm.edu/cit/antiviru ··· val.html

PS I did not look for the new ones..since I think this users most likely has the original stuff on there from that vintage of Win 98.

What do you think????
[text was edited by author 2002-05-12 00:21:01]

LBadvance

LBadvance to jopfef

to jopfef
said by LBadvance:
Does she still have the mcAfee cd with her? If she does, then good. Reinstall mc afee, then uninstall it after. And ur problem will be all fixed.
Did u try that?

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

NO access to a McAfee CD! It came pre-installed on the system several years ago, when she bought it.

At the moment, I'm following the registry cleanup instructions for Version 2 that came with W95. I've hit on everything so far, so maybe that's a good sign! I'll keep plugging away at the manual uninstall directions, in the hope that this will resolve the problem.
jopfef

jopfef

MVM

SCORE!!! Just found the McAfee VirusScan entry in the registry!!!!

So far, so good!!!!! If I have to follow ALL the directions tonight, to get this cleaned up, I WILL do it!!!

Time Out$
Premium Member
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$ to LBadvance

Premium Member

to LBadvance
"Does she still have the mcAfee cd with her? If she does, then good. Reinstall mcafee, then uninstall it after. And ur problem will be all fixed."

Sure hope she does LBadvance, it would make it all go away.. so easy.

But if it is one of those PC's that they only put on the software with no McAfee CD..or they have it on the restore CD it might be hard to find or not there at all.

Many had just a 90 to 180 free before you resgister and it was a come on to then download a newer version from the Internet..and pay out a little more cash.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

CRAP!!! Just had the registry editor lock up on me, and no way to get it closed and re-opened. DAMN!!!!! I was going along so well!

I'm pretty certain that this was version 2 in W95, since everything was matching.

I have no idea how to shut down the editor from here. I think I'm screwed till morning, when she can reboot the system. Damn.

pa555
Seconds Last
join:2001-05-11
Monrovia, CA

pa555 to jopfef

to jopfef
Hey jopfef I just did this LOL not 5 min ago. Go here »www.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp then on left click what version you have. Now after I removed everything I rebooted and hit the registry just to see how much junk it left in there. I too used Regclean & Regcleaner and no MvAfee key found. But when I went into the registry the first sign I found was this; Search the registry and remove all occurrences of 0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0 (NOTE: The 0's are the number zero)
IMPORTANT: The above set of characters is case sensitive. Be sure to type capital letters. When an occurrence of 0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0 is found delete it, then press the F3 key on the keyboard to search again. Do this until you get a 'Finished Searching through the Registry' message.
NOTE: You may find as many as 120 occurrences of 0267BC36324B1FB47A4E57BBB84647E0 in the registry. They all need to be removed.
I started with version 4.0 but had upto 5.1 so not sure what you have but this just worked for me & I bet I had every bit of 120 keys to remove one at a time..... Good luck....

Paul
pa555

pa555 to jopfef

to jopfef
Sorry guys I type so slow I missed your last few posts. I see you think you have version 2..... Sorry for my 1st post then.....

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

Paul, I will take every ounce of help that I can get to get this system cleaned up! I'm working on version 2 now, and will work my up through at least one more version, before I try to install Norton.

THANK YOU for the tip on cleaning out that key!!! I'll put it to good use, believe me!!!

LBadvance

LBadvance to jopfef

to jopfef
Looks like the registries are messy due to the "miss-use" of the computer. "miss-use" as in just deleting the folders of the program, leaving traces of remains of the program that might cuase conflict with other programs inn the future.

If she doesnt have anything valuable that she wants to keep on her computer then i recommend u to reformat.

That will also solve any future problems she might occur due to the messy registries.

Time Out$
Premium Member
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$

Premium Member

LBadvance, that is surely what I would do also..why fool around..on this one you will just be back there next week.

thegrinch8
join:2001-08-27
Westminster, CA

thegrinch8 to jopfef

to jopfef
using Radmin? Try right clicking at the top of your viewer window to get a menu and send an alt-ctr-dlt

Then close the regedit from there...

pa555
Seconds Last
Monrovia, CA

pa555 to LBadvance

to LBadvance
Well you guy may no better than I but I dont see how his registry is all messy. Just because of this one program, McAfee virus software. Its McAfee that puts all the keys in there like that but dont remove them when you run the uninstall. So I dont know about her computer but mine is full & I for one dont want to put all my other programs back on and tweak my DSL all over again just because I didn't want McAfee......

Who knows maybe he wants to be back over there next week..

PS.... jopfef McAfee says to do all the uninstalls and install in safe mode or thats what I read anyway......

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to thegrinch8

MVM

to thegrinch8
Well, dagnabit, Grinch!!! Wish I had known that earlier!!!

I'm just in learning mode on Radmin, but REALLY like it so far! Today was the first time I tried it outside of my LAN, and it went very well. The only thing I had to do was slow down a bit, since you have to wait for the response via the delay. Once I got used to that, it was as easy as pie!

I'll keep that in mind once I'm connected up in the morning again.
jopfef

jopfef to pa555

MVM

to pa555
Paul, if she by some freak chance has the CD, and I can re-install McAfee, I'll definitely do it in Safe Mode.

THANK YOU for that info!!!

thegrinch8
join:2001-08-27
Westminster, CA

thegrinch8 to jopfef

to jopfef
yo jopfef, how did it go? I hope you got everything working. Yes Remote Administrator is an excellent program. I have done many installs through it and was able to reboot and then log in again. I love that program.

hope you got rid of mcafee, they really let me down. I was with them and must have spent a lot. They just are not keeping up with customer service and program ability. I mean when I found several people posting at PC magazine web site that the program from mcafee that they paid for would not run, I knew it may be time to move on.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

Hi, Grinch!!!

I re-installed McAfee last night, and then uninstalled it this morning. I'm working around her schedule, so I'm doing what I can when I can. I think things are going okay. Bless Radmin for being such a super program!!!

Tomorrow I plan to go through the registry and make sure that all the McAfee stuff is out of there. Will back up the registry before and after "surgery" to be on the safe side!

After that, I'll get Norton on there, get all the updates done, and then we're home free! She's a writer, and simply can't risk having a virus/worm get into anything that needs to go out. She's VERY angry that McAfee hasn't provided the antivirus security that she thought she would have with them. Oi vey... She's also on a cable modem, so I installed Trojan Hunter tonight and scanned her system, and will drop ZoneAlarm on there tomorrow. She's getting a crash course in security, that's for sure!

Thanks for checking in!!! I'll keep you posted, and let you know when everything is up and running again.

And to everyone who had input in this thread, I give a GREAT BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Your help has been awesome, and I REALLY appreciate it!!!!!

pa555
Seconds Last
Monrovia, CA

pa555

WOW that is so cool you could do all this and not be right there at the computer you was working on. Can someone give me a site or something about the programs you use to do this and does it need to be on both computers. I have PCAnywhere v10 but still dont know how to work it that well....
Also jopfef was you able to reinstall & uninstall in safe mode, reboot and everything. I see where thegrinch said he was able to reboot and log in again. That is wild! I really like DSLR I learn so much here. Thank you guys I get more from all of you that I did all though High school......
[text was edited by author 2002-05-14 02:59:53]

Fireshield
join:2001-10-08
Champlin, MN

Fireshield to jopfef

to jopfef
For future reference, SonicWALL has a McAfee cleaner on their FTP site. You can find it here.

Worked flawlessly for me many times.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

said by Gunth:
For future reference, SonicWALL has a McAfee cleaner on their FTP site. You can find it here.

Worked flawlessly for me many times.
Gunth, you have my most grateful thanks for providing that link!!! I have downloaded the software, will use it on the system in New York, and will have it here if I ever need it again.

MANY THANKS!!!!