Get 'em while they're hot.
0513i32
»securityresponse.symantec.com/av···N95.html
[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 19:07:43]

Randy Bell
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA
You and grumpi must have posted at the same time: »NAV updates (Intelligent Updater - May 13th)

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to La Luna
Just checked... Still says 5/10/02 there ????
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:
Get 'em while they're hot.
0513i32
»securityresponse.symantec.com/av···N95.html
[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 19:07:43]

No it doesn't, it says May 13, LOL.
I already got them--dated 5/13. 61055

[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 19:15:34]

hd223
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Oakton, VA
reply to La Luna
Thanks for the update! :)

subzero57
Premium
join:2000-06-28
Kent, WA
reply to La Luna
Thanks for the update. I'm complete now.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to La Luna
Link I had was stuck on 5/10/02 ??
I used your link, and it was 5/13/02 ??
Dunno why... it worked before...
Removed old link... Thanks for the info!
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

Yap me too stuck on 5/10, thanks all...

Edit;
Actually thanks La Luna...I even went to NAV D/L page and it linked me back to 5/10...Jan and I go thru the same ISP...Hmmm,,, Finally, at NAV D/L page I could get to 5/13...
[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 19:45:07]

[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 19:49:57]

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

Good, glad you got them.
--
"...if you win or you lose, it's a question of honour...and the way that you choose it's a question of honour..." Sarah Brightman "Question of Honour" »www.sarahbrightman.co.uk »www.sarah-brightman.com/

Mokey2000
Mokey

join:2001-02-22
Dixie
reply to La Luna
Got mine, thanks for the update.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Ardmore, PA

reply to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

Jan, have you ever tried to make a quick .bat file to go fetch Intelligent Updater's ref's in one click, with no need to navigate to the site with your web browser? It's really easy and cool, one click does it all. I took R2's instructions to make mine, and now only update with this, it's faster than LiveUpdate!

I'll repost here how to do it, for anyone who's interested.
(I think this quick how-to for the IU .bat file should be reposted periodically, it's too cool. Thanks to R2 and/or whoever came up with this.)

1. Make a folder named temp in your C directory (or wherever you prefer.)

2.Open Notepad, and copy/paste this script below, starting with "open", ending with "quit":

open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
lcd C:\temp
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit

3. Save this file as cescript.txt and put in the temp folder you just created.

4. Open a new file in Notepad, and copy/paste this script below:

ftp -s:cescript.txt
choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
del "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

5. Save the file as Intelligent.bat and put in temp folder with other file.

6. Right click the Intelligent.bat file icon, and select properties. Select the "program" tab, and check the box "close on exit". Click Aply, and close.

7. Create a shortcut for this Intelligent.bat file and drag it to your taskbar where the "Quicklunch" shortcuts go (right next to the Start icon.)

8. Now click on that shortcut icon and watch it do its thing. It will fetch the refs file, install them, and close up when it's done.

9. If you've gone this far and everything works, you can even change the generic MSDos icon of your .bat file and replace it with a unique one of your own. Right click the Intelligent.bat file, select properties, select program tab, and select "change icon". You'll be shown a list of icons to choose from. Select a unique one that's not associated with other common files (I have chosen the Shield and Sword icon for mine.)

Hope this helps someone and makes life a bit easier
[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 21:23:29]

[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 21:31:29]

ylen131

join:2000-02-09
Canoga Park, CA
"5. Save the file as Intelligent.txt and put in temp folder with other file"

Actually just safe it with .bat extension,then u will not need the step 6 to rename the file.

horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium
join:2002-03-13
canada
reply to La Luna
thnks

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
reply to ylen131
I edited it your way. Just goes to show you how often I make .bat files or use Notepad for anything other than opening some files.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to La Luna
Thanks MeeToo for posting that .bat file setup--your explanation of how to do it is the first time I've been able to actually understand what to do, lol.
I just didn't get it in the original post.

If I set it up, can I test it to see if it works, even though I already got the updates for today? Will it let me know that there were no updates available, so at least I know if its working properly?
--
"...if you win or you lose, it's a question of honour...and the way that you choose it's a question of honour..." Sarah Brightman "Question of Honour" »www.sarahbrightman.co.uk »www.sarah-brightman.com/

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
You're welcome Luna. Sometimes the gurus talk in their own jargon forgetting about us simple folks It took me a couple tries to get it to work, but fortunately R2 was on hand to help me out.

As to your question, yes you can run it again even though you're already up to date on the defs. It will just download the same defs again and overwrite and reinstall.

neill

join:2000-11-15
Irvington, NY
kudos:1
reply to La Luna
quote:
6. Right click the Intelligent.bat file icon, and select properties. Select the "program" tab, and check the box "close on exit". Click Aply, and close.
Win2k doesn't have a close on exit feature. Will the file then stay open?

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
Now you got me stumped Neill, I'm not familiar with Win2k, only Win9x and WinME. The above procedure will work on those OS. Hopefully someone will answer your question for Win2k

HaYwIrE2
Politically Incorrect
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Liberal Hell
reply to La Luna
Ok, I've been out of the forums for a while. What's this intelligent updater? doesn't LiveUpdate take care of everything for me? (Win98SE & Norton Antivirus 2001)   
--
Political Correctness and Affirmative Action are intellectual cancers that have corrupted society as we once knew it. Rap music isn't helping at all either.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
Hey welcome back Sir Lancelot! I've just come back to the forum myself a month or so ago.

Intelligent Updater is Symantec's daily ref updates that they post for those want to bother updating everyday, as opposed to every Wednesdays with LU. The Intelligent Updater's defs are supposedly still in beta mode, but made available right away for security types techs. Those beta files used to be on different servers, but a while ago Symantec moved them to their main site to make available to anyone who wants them.

With the ever more growing onslought of trojans and viruses, many people on this forum decided to update daily, including me. Others are happy to let LU do its thing on Wednesdays. Even LU sometimes now updates more than once a week when there's a particularly high amount of new viruses/worms.

HaYwIrE2
Politically Incorrect
Premium
Liberal Hell
Thanks dude.

So, does LiveUpdate only do it's thing on Wednesdays normally?     
--
Political Correctness and Affirmative Action are intellectual cancers that have corrupted society as we once knew it. Rap music isn't helping at all either.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to La Luna
There are two different batch files, one for the 9x family (Windows 95/98/ME) and one for the NT family (NT/2K/XP). For the latter, you don't need the close on exit command, as it does it automatically. You can read the entire thread about the batch files for automating intelligent updater here: »NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program

The specifics for both batch files can be found directly here:

»NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program
--
Pinky: I think so Brain, but shouldn't the bat boy be wearing a cape?

HaYwIrE2
Politically Incorrect
Premium
Liberal Hell
reply to MeeToo7
All right, I got it, installed it and don't know what the hell happened. Did it install new definitions? I guess I misunderstood.

How does it run every day? Manually run the same app? I'm totally lost here. I guess I thought it would make my automatic LiveUpdate run every day. Is that what it does?
--

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to HaYwIrE2
said by Sir Lancelot:
Thanks dude.

So, does LiveUpdate only do it's thing on Wednesdays normally
Yes, definitions are generally put out through live update each Wednesday, though when there's a "major outbreak" they sometimes release them on other days in addition to Wednesday.
--

grumpi

join:2001-03-28
reply to MeeToo7
said by MeeToo:
... The Intelligent Updater's defs are supposedly still in beta mode, but made available right away for security types techs. Those beta files used to be on different servers, but a while ago Symantec moved them to their main site to make available to anyone who wants them. ...
Actually the Intelligent Updater files are now fully tested before release (just like those released for LiveUpdate):

Quote from the Symantec article below:
"while the definition files that were available from the FTP site were tested before release, they were still considered to be Beta definitions, and were often referred to as "Spec" (or special) definitions.
The optional daily definitions that are now available using the Intelligent Updater are now fully tested by Symantec Security Response before being released to the public."

Full Symantec article:
»service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sh···en&src=w

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
reply to HaYwIrE2
said by Sir Lancelot:
Thanks dude.

So, does LiveUpdate only do it's thing on Wednesdays normally?
Yes, normally. I still leave LiveUpdate to run automaticly, because I can't always be running Intelligent Updater manually. So at least I always have that once a week to update my refs.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

reply to HaYwIrE2
said by Sir Lancelot:
All right, I got it, installed it and don't know what the hell happened. Did it install new definitions? I guess I misunderstood.

How does it run every day? Manually run the same app? I'm totally lost here. I guess I thought it would make my automatic LiveUpdate run every day. Is that what it does?

The Automatic Intelligent Update batch file basically is the equivalent of going to the symantec site each day and downloading and running that day's Intelligent Update file. I personally run the batch file manually (created a link to it in my quick launch bar) whenever I see a post here saying new definitions are out, but you could also set it up through task scheduler to run automatically
--

[text was edited by author 2002-05-14 00:25:13]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
reply to grumpi
said by grumpi:

Actually the Intelligent Updater files are now fully tested before release (just like those released for LiveUpdate):

Quote from the Symantec article below:

Thanks for the update on that grumpi, wasn't aware.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

reply to MeeToo7
said by MeeToo:
Yes, normally. I still leave LiveUpdate to run automaticly, because I can't always be running Intelligent Updater manually. So at least I always have that once a week to update my refs.
It's a good idea to keep running LiveUpdate weekly in addition to Intelligent Updater, as LiveUpdate can also pull down updates to the NAV program (or other Symantec product) itself, while Intelligent Updater only updates the virus definitions.
--

[text was edited by author 2002-05-14 00:27:59]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
reply to HaYwIrE2
Right Sir Lancelot, what Zupe said.

I myself made the habit of clicking on the Intelligent.bat file I made, every night after dinner when I can, whether someone posted that there's an update or not. So far I found that there's an update everyday.